Albums of the Year 2008 (2 Viewers)

I don't want to sound like a total grump, as I always do, but the most disappointing album of the year for me was April by Sun Kil Moon. I really liked Ghosts and Tiny Cities but, for me, this was a major let down. To me, the tunes sounded insipid and when he started singing about missing his cat or preferring being at home to being on the road or whatever, I completely lost interest.

Two non-2008 discoveries for me were Didn't It Rain by Songs: Ohia and Dreams by Whitest Boy Alive. If you don't already have these albums I really recommend you get them.

The more I hear of Isis the more impressed I am. I think they could be a really great band.

The first time I listened to Wolf Parade's album I thought it was brilliant. And then every time after that I just couldn't get into it. Strange.

i was listening to "never hear the end of it" just now and it is jam packed with ideas over the 30 songs. hardly a bad moment over the course of the album.
i would have it as a lost classic already

Yeah, that was better than most double albums. My favourite is still Navy Blue.

this is the top ten i compiled for nick thinks...
it took about 10 minutes to put together and is probably a lil bit wrongish but im sticking to it.

1. The Mae Shi - Hlllyh
2. Jay Reatard - Singles 06-07
3. Ponytail - Ice Cream Spiritual
4. Lucky Dragons - Dream Island Laughing Language
5. The Ruby Suns - Sea Lion
6. Vivian Girls - S/T
7. Nobunny - Love Visions
8. Maps & Atlases - You Me & The Mountain (e.p)
9. V/A - Love is Love
10. Sun Araw - Beach Head

oh yeah, I know they're beyond uncool cos they're on tv ads and stuff but the Goldfrapp album released this year is very good.

British Sea Power - Do You Like Rock Music?

Honorable mention - Glasvegas. But it's not that good really.

10:The Walkmen - You And Me
l39720ligot.jpg

9: The Tallest Man On Earth - Shallow Grave
tallestmanonearth2.jpg

8: TV On The Radio - Dear Science,
l67702cr6v8.jpg

7: The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
k61148ylzsd.jpg

6: Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight
k36051rouct.jpg

5: The Dodos - Visiter
l38040arnrp.jpg

4: Fuck Buttons - Street Horrsing
j78051ak532.jpg

3: Why? - Alopecia
j99427jdswo.jpg

2: No Age - Nouns
k33835pa3g8.jpg

1: Parenthetical Girls - Entanglements
l49711kh4da.jpg

New entry as I've just got it today (even though it's a collection of material from 1992-1997) is this:

333.jpg

Harry Pussy - You'll Never Play This Town Again

The Harvey Milk, Asva,Onra and Black Elk albums for me. All the Blue Sabbath Black Cheer Albums, the Pig Heart Destroyer album, both Crystal Stilts records. Any other records I've really liked this year (specifically Wildildlife and Bon Iver) I'm not sure actually came out this year or 2007.

Actual album of the year: Brainbombs "Fucking Mess".

One of the things I've enjoyed most this year is Lucky Dragons, though I'd be hard pushed to name a song or even which album a track belongs to, but I'm very fond of them. They are very refreshing.

Agree with a lot a of stuff here - Vampire Weekend, Deerhunter, No Age, Fleet Foxes.

However, given I'm addicted to them:

Water_Curses-Animal_Collective_480.jpg

Water Curses Animal Collective.

And they more than likely have the Album of 2009 sewn up for me also!

If you don't own this album, get it. My favorite of the year and of Karl Blau actually:
klp192.jpg

cut copy - in ghost colors
shed - shedding the past
the bug - london zoo
hercules and love affair - s/t
air france - no way down
lil wayne - the carter III
the tough alliance - a new chance
quiet village - silent movie
benga - diary of an afro warrior
lykee li - youth novels

if rereleases were allowed then basic channel and carl craig would be near the top of that bunch.

Two non-2008 discoveries for me were Didn't It Rain by Songs: Ohia and Dreams by Whitest Boy Alive. If you don't already have these albums I really recommend you get them.

Songs:Ohia are amazing. Theres a whole world of stuff out there to explore by Jason Molina. Have fun doing it because pretty much everything hes done is excellent (I think).

Whitest Boy Alive were recommended to me about this time last year by a friend in England. I dunno. There was one song they had out as a single (Burning I think) that I really liked, but they seemed a little non-descript beyond that.

I think April is an amazing album. And the Sun Kil Moon gig in the Academy in september was one of the more memorable ones for me (though I don't think I mentioned it in the gigs thread - plenty of others did).

Whitest Boy Alive were recommended to me about this time last year by a friend in England. I dunno. There was one song they had out as a single (Burning I think) that I really liked, but they seemed a little non-descript beyond that.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I think Dreams is an utterly amazing album. Fantastic lyrics, guitar, everything. There's no rhythm guitar, it's all bass, drums and lead guitar so it's a sparse sound and the singer, Erlend Øye, has a great voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back