Albums of the Year 2008 (1 Viewer)

Its been a year of half albums for me. I really really liked roughly half of all these albums.

1. Tindersticks: The Hungry Saw
2. James Yorkston: When the Haar Rolls In
3. Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend
4. The Breeders: Mountain Battles
5. Fleet Foxes: Fleet Foxes
6. Lykee Li: Youth Novels
7. Santogold: Santogold
8. The New Year: The New Year
9. Michael Knight: I'm Not Entirely Clear How I Ended Up Like This
10. Our Brother the Native: Make Amends for We are Merely Vessels

timc1.jpg

This one is hilariously Luke Haines-ish. As in, they've copped his whole schtick in its entirety.

I'm Not Entirely Clear How I Ended Up Like This - Michael Knight

is my absolute favourite

Fleet Foxes and Wolf Parade for sure. Other stuff mentioned here. Fuck Buttons, Sigur Ros, Silver Jews, Retribution Gospel Choir, Beach House, Magnetic Fields, Halfset, Jape.

Did the crayonsmith white wonder album come out this year? If so, that too. And giveamanakick as well.

Yes to most of that. Well, a lot of that. Here's my list, kids... next post!

I found this very hard to like. The first couple of songs are great, but I reckon it's one of Elvis' tossed off albums. Probably written in a weekend.
Maybe.
THat is to say, I preferred The Delvery Man.

brings me back to the earlier Attractions sound - although with less energy. Some killer tunes - My Three Sons, No Hiding Place, Flutter and Wow. For me, probably best since When I Was Cruel.

throw me the statue one has really grown on me, land lovers, enslaved, the cure, grails, Metallica, retribution gospel choir, Ghosts (NIN was that this year?), chromatics, glass candy, fleet foxes.

one of my most listened to albums this year was Rotting Christ, Theogonia from 2007.

sloan - parallel play was a grower and then ended up being brilliant!

Damn, my post was lost. Here it is, slightly differently:

My overall favourite was probably Wolf Parade's At Mount Zoomer. I was amazed at its total critical apathy, which probably says more about the fickle trendiness of critics than the merits of the album, which are many.

I also really liked:
Fleet Foxes (though I think the performances are stronger than some of the songs)
Deerhunter: Microcastles
Michael Knight: I'm Not Entirely Clear How I Ended Up Like This
The Spook of the Thirteenth Lock

Those last two were my favourite Irish ones. I know that can be influenced by meeting those involved at the gigs or them being on here, etc., but I do think they showed a great deal of musical ambition, and were very intently thought-out pieces of work, which sets them apart in my mind.

So Cow was another Irish one I liked.
Nonplussed by plenty of lauded Irish albums.

My memory is bad. I can't remember most of what I heard.

Damn, my post was lost. Here it is, slightly differently:

My overall favourite was probably Wolf Parade's At Mount Zoomer. I was amazed at its total critical apathy, which probably says more about the fickle trendiness of critics than the merits of the album, which are many.

I also really liked:
Fleet Foxes (though I think the performances are stronger than some of the songs)
Deerhunter: Microcastles
Michael Knight: I'm Not Entirely Clear How I Ended Up Like This
The Spook of the Thirteenth Lock

Those last two were my favourite Irish ones. I know that can be influenced by meeting those involved at the gigs or them being on here, etc., but I do think they showed a great deal of musical ambition, and were very intently thought-out pieces of work, which sets them apart in my mind.

So Cow was another Irish one I liked.
Nonplussed by plenty of lauded Irish albums.

My memory is bad. I can't remember most of what I heard.

that Wolf Parade one appeared out of now where and went no where! (not saying its a good or bad album)
did you like the Magnetic Fields one?

In no particular order, my top 10 for 2008 (so far - I'm sure there's a load of good stuff I haven't heard/will never hear):

walkmencover.jpg
You & Me by The Walkmen

DUNGEN_4_COVER_A.gif
4 by Dungen

phpThumb.php
The Chemistry Of Common Life by Fucked Up

Department_of_Eagles___In_Ear_ParkLOWRES.jpg
In Ear Park by Department of Eagles

2633223827_ddece97d91.jpg
Keep Your Eyes Ahead by The Helio Sequence

bon-iver-for-emma.jpg
For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver

268_518.jpg
Ferndorf by Hauschka

In_Ghost_Colours-Cut_Copy_480.jpg
In Ghost Colours by Cut Copy

Dear_science_album_cover.jpg
Dear Science by TV On The Radio

51QRWqxPuRL._SS500_.jpg
Vol. 1 by She & Him

she & him-volume one
vampire weekend
santogold
lil wayne- tha carter III
coconut records (which may have been last year?)-nighttiming

I'm also digging bound stems-the family afloat, t.i.-paper trails and little joy but only have been listening to them all for a few weeks so I dunno if they can rate in my albums of the year:)

sloan - parallel play was a grower and then ended up being brilliant!

yea, I pretty much wrote it off after a couple of listens, gave it a few more goes and I like it. It's on my "needs more attention" list as I'm sure there's plenty of life left in it. The previous album was like that too, very rewarding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back