Album Of The Year (1 Viewer)

AOTY:

Atlas Sound - Parralax. I'm not actually a huge fan of Brandon Cox or Deerhunter, but there's a lot of really top notch tunes on this, Te Amo, Terra Incognita, Mona Lisa, Angel Is Broken and so on. There's a couple of bonus tracks tacked on to the end of the version I have and if you get rid of those (which I have done), it's a borderline classic.

Good albums from 2011:

The Radio Dept. - Passive Aggressive Singles 2002-2010. A seriously impressive retrospective, disk 1 containing the lead singles and disk 2 containing the hidden gems (I think). Despite the change in pace, or possibly because of it, it works really well as a double album. In fact, it's a pity real double abums aren't actually like this rather than often being filler heavy (see "Disappointments").

Cass McCombs - Wit's End. Considerably better than the recenlty released Humour Risk and contains the corker 'County Line', probably the song of the year for me.

Regina - Soita Mulle. Very variable album quality wise - some beautiful indie pop, some indie poop.

Dom - Family Of Love. Good EP, kinda wearing after a while.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra (S/T). Again, like the Regina album, some great stuff, some stuff that should have stayed on the studio floor.

Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo. Great tunes, guitar playing and lyrics.

WU LYF - Go Tell Fire To The Mountain. They have that Africian guitar thing down, coupled with neanderthal sounding vocals. Quite anthemic. Kinda forgettable after you listen to it though.

Grails - Deep Politics. Very good album, probably best to give it one's full attention rather than leave it in the background. Very ambitious, cinematic arrangements.

Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact. Possessed of some excellent tunes and a heathy two fingers to convention.

Wild Beasts - Smother. Like a pale version of Two Dancers, the overall effect is positive, but it's hard to pick out any highlights.

Tape - Revelationes. Very good post-rock/electronic album, more chillax than axe. Sorry.

Washed Out - Within And Without. A very good album with some slightly daft moments - Caroline Polachek rapping or whatever it is she's doing on You And I being one of them.

Sin Fang - Summer Echoes. Kinda Animal Collective-esque, but a lot easier on the ear than them I think.

John Maus - We Must Become Pitiless Censors Of Ourselves. Great tunes, quite funny in places. Probably lacking a bit in consistency.

Disappointing albums from 2011:

Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues. This is crap. The 2008 album and EP were inspired.

Bon Iver (S/T). See Fleet Foxes.

M83 - Whatever it's called. Overblown, bombastic, retreading, filler filled, Arcade Fire wannabe crap.

Three classics have been added to my 'classics' folder this year:

Björk - Homogenic (1997). To think I scorned people who said they liked this back in the day. The shame.

Ellen Allien - Berlinette (2003). Techno pop par excellence.

Jim O'Rourke - Eureka (1999). It does what it says on the tin.

Enduring classics from 2010

Beach House - Teen Dream
Radio Dept. - Clinging To A Scheme

Enduring classics from 2009

Bibio - Ambivalence Avenue
Tiny Vipers - Life On Earth
Wild Beasts - Two Dancers

hmm

can't pick one, but getting lots of play this year were:

images
watch-the-throne-cd-a-p.jpg
Jape-Oceans-Of-Frequency.jpg
1097789-lonely-island-turtleneck-and-chain-617-409.jpg
codes-and-keys-cover.jpg

Albums I really liked this year are:

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Mirror Traffic. It really got under my skin.
Bon Iver - Bon Iver. Brave, huge sounding record.
Land lover - Confidants. Schmoovee.
Yeh Deadlies album (that was this year, right?)

I was disappointed by the Battles album, and though I've only had the St. Vincent album a few days, it aint doing it for me so far.

Shit, there must be more! my brain is gone.

king creosote & jon hopkins - diamond tingy
metronomy - the english riviera
low - c'mon

was disappointed by
radiohead - king of limbs
bjork - biophilia

i have no memory of what else i listened to

Loads of brilliant stuff released this year but the best five for me:

Coin Coin Chapter One - Matana Roberts
Bermuda Drain - Prurient
Doubles - Cian Nugent
Tryptych - Demdike Stare
Man With Potential - Pete Swanson

AOTY:

Atlas Sound - Parralax. I'm not actually a huge fan of Brandon Cox or Deerhunter, but there's a lot of really top notch tunes on this, Te Amo, Terra Incognita, Mona Lisa, Angel Is Broken and so on. There's a couple of bonus tracks tacked on to the end of the version I have and if you get rid of those (which I have done), it's a borderline classic.

I really like that but as time goes on I'm finding that Deerhunter and Atlas ound records are beginning to sound a like.

I think I was into the Josh T. Pearson record more than anything this year, heart wrenching stuff.

Glad to have pleased yr ears, Mark and Scuhher.

I didn't listen to many new albums in 2011 other than Irish ones, of which I listened to plenty. Derived great enjoyment from several of them.

Dunno if it's album of the year but I really really liked REM's last record. I think if they'd released it a decade or more ago it would have found a bigger audience. Some great tracks, although the album is stymied a bit by unimaginative production. Too many textures you've heard before on an REM album but a great collection of songs.

I never know what year stuff was released in but at the moment I'm enjoying

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

and

and probably terribly uncool and derivative...and definitely they owe Felt (and McCarthy) some money.. but good listening at work

My top 10 LPs of 2011

01 Sandra Cross - The MMs Bar Recordings
02 The Advisory Circle - As The Crow Flies
03 Half Man Half Biscuit - 90 Bisodol (Crimond)
04 Moon Wiring Club - Somewhere A Fox Is Getting Married
05 PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
06 Citizen Fish - Goods
07 Robert Pollard - Space City Kicks
08 Rustie - Glass Swords
09 The Fall - Ersatz G.B.
10 Jean-Claude Vannier - Roses Red Rouge

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back