alan johnston is feared dead (1 Viewer)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6559619.stm

they still don't have confirmation either way, can you imagine what this must be doing to his family? I must say, I have immense respect and admiration for journalists who put themselves on the line in situations like this in order to report the truth. Christina Lamb for instance, that woman is fantastic - she did a series of articles for the Sunday Times a while back from inside Zimbabwe, which was an incredibly brave and dangerous thing to do. She was so frustrated at the lack of knowledge and awareness of the complete misery and desperation of the situation there...as am I. Anyway, my point is that these people risk their lives to try and report the reality of situations so far removed from our daily lives...I deeply admire that.

it's always terrible when someone goes missing but there's something about the abduction of journalists that really gets my goat. i remember being completely captivated when jill carroll was being held - wondering what on earth was going on. i really feel for the families though, i cannot imagine what kind of torment johnston's must be going through. an unconfirmed rumour like this must be driving them delirious with worry.

That's it exactly...at least if someone could say "ok, it's true, he is dead", it would be fucking terrible but at least there could be closure...but this...oh it doesn't bear thinking about. Anyway, here's hoping he comes back alive.

He's grown a bit of a mop, not sure if it looks like 2.5 month's growth though. If he's not being fed well, it could well be.

I hope he's safe. You don't know what's going on behind the scenes, what kind of negotiations are taking place, whether there's going to be some kind of prisoner swap etc. Still, as RSJ said, it's promising news.

Oh thank fuck. I'm delighted!
He's got a bestseller on his hands now!
Any idea if the kidnappers' demands were met?
As far as I know most def not.
Hamas put alot of pressure on this group who kidnapped him....Hamas are totally isolated at the moment and needed a bit of joy and be seen to have some "normality".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back