akron family - dublin & belfast shows (2 Viewers)

Jim A. Morrish

Website
blog.myspace.com
Rapturous New York Quartet
:::Akron Family:::
Confirm UK Tour for April

“Their set was like Brian Wilson's SMiLE performed by Black Sabbath, an unparalleled mix of sunny harmonies and bottom-heavy, jazz metal jams. Their music was new, uninhibited, and I couldn't get enough of it.” POPMATTERS.COM

“it's a place where sweet vocal harmonies and extreme rock meet, like Crosby, Stills & Nash through an art-punk shredder. It is a joyful noise that leaves genres completely redundant.” Q MAGAZINE

“a rough-hewn, psychedelic-pastoral gem, full of beautifully warm, shambolic harmonies and driven by an almost Beatles-esque passion for experimentation…” THE INDEPENDENT

Voted amongst the top 50 albums of last year with their debut self titled release by the Wire magazine, Akron/Family is Michael Gira of Young God records’ favourite "Rock Band" in the universe. Having toured non-stop since the release of their debut last year both as Akron Family (including shows with former Young God label-mate, Devendra Banhart) and Michael Gira’s Angels of Light, the band have amassed a huge following Stateside with their *experimental take on modern folk, psychedelia, art rock and gospel music producing one of the most original and captivating sounds to come out of New York City in years.

“It would take a cold heart not to be moved by the psychedelia tinged rock 'n' roll pleasures of these performances.” THE WIRE

CONFIRMED UK DATES ARE:
18-Apr **Cardiff **************Buffalo Bar
19-Apr **Coventry ***********Tin Angel *
20-Apr **London *************Windmill ************(Loose Lips presents….)
21-Apr **London *************The Spitz
22-Apr **Nottingham *******The Social *
23-Apr **Leeds ***************Faversham
24-Apr **Stockton ***********Georgian
25-Apr **Newcastle- *******Agora
29-Apr **Belfast *************Belfast Cathedral Arts Festival *
30-Apr **Dublin, Ireland- **Crawdaddy
**MORE DATES TO BE ANNOUNCED SHORTLY!**

Says Michael Gira, “They tear down the roof. *They generate such pure JOY, coupled with a wild sense of constant invention, that it's impossible not to get sucked into their weird world of sonic chaos, then gorgeous vocal harmonies, then march-of-the-crazed-clowns with ever-escalating psychedelic mantra crescendos, then country stomps, then genuinely touching plaintive, atmospheric songs, then extended improvisations, then into some kind of Beatles meets Beefheart backwoods midnight incantation ("Raising The Sparks" - a song that never fails to get the audience whooping like suddenly zapped and enlightened idiots) - and on and on. I don't think I've ever seen a band in the 25 years that I've been personally making "rock" music contain the elements of exuberant experimentation, flat out intense, ecstatic and focused performance, and immediate accessibility that they possess....”

“This is the kind of music to bring on the rapture... intense and heathen but driven by something almost classical and religious.” THE STOOL PIGEON

“Akron tracks are a revelation, their fractured chamber-folk dotted with freakish Pentecostal chorals and bursts of hectic rock-skronk.” UNCUT

“Immaculately interwoven electronics and the care with which each beautifully recorded track unfolds recall Chicago post-rock.” THE WIRE

“Their extended songs consist of washes of ambient sound melting over gently strummed chords and mesmerising instrumental post-rock... each song feels like three songs' worth of ideas crammed into one composition, without ever feeling crowded or rushed...” DROWNED IN SOUND

“Akron/Family don't just make music together, they really PLAY together…. theirs is a kind of modern folk music, in that real, acoustic instruments mingle with four part harmonies. But the Akrons' musical connection and skill also allows for wild, instinctual experimentalism (Zep-style wig outs and shamanic incantations). MOJO

general0758.jpg

soundoutofit!

Nice.

I thought they were Canadian though. And I'm starting to dislike Canadians.

can't get enough of these at the the mo. the franny and the portal album is excellent. do yis know if its a release proper or a bootleg? anyways, whats the story with this gig - are tickets out yet? who's supporting?

It's down the Front Page Ciaran. Heard a scurrilous rumour tonight that it's sold out but I reckon that's a bunch of balls. Can't wait for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back