Ah no! Clothes dye advice please (2 Viewers)

Squiggle

Born-again non-smoker
Supporter
Website
www.myspace.com
I just washed my favourite new black cotton skirt for the first time and it's not very black anymore. I followed the washing instructions carefully but it has still faded.

Has anyone here successfully re-dyed cotton? Dylon do in machine stuff, is it really as permanent as they say? Is there anything that would be better. I don't really want to end up having to re-dye it every time I wash it.

Thanks Johnnystress... febreeze isn't an option though... I'm allergic to the stuff :rolleyes:

Anyone else have any advice?

Has anyone here successfully re-dyed cotton? Dylon do in machine stuff, is it really as permanent as they say? Is there anything that would be better. I don't really want to end up having to re-dye it every time I wash it.
Dylon Machine Wash Dye is good and it won't wash out if you follow the instructions exactly. The salt is essential and use the whole box of dye for the best colour results.
Just be sure to use one of the colour-safe washing liquids when you're washing it. You can actually get one specifically for black, think it's called Black Velvet or something similar. Good luck!
:)

Dylon Machine Wash Dye is good and it won't wash out if you follow the instructions exactly. The salt is essential and use the whole box of dye for the best colour results.
Just be sure to use one of the colour-safe washing liquids when you're washing it. You can actually get one specifically for black, think it's called Black Velvet or something similar. Good luck!
:)

Ah cool, that's great, thanks a million. Part of my problem is that I can't use biological washing powder/liquids - so that black defending stuff is out... how are soap pods for colour fastness does anyone know?

Not really soap. These things. They're the husks of a nut or something.
Wow, never even heard of these before. Where can you buy them in Dublin, do you know?
Impressed, I am! :)

I guess you'd need to try them out on something black to know how they'll do.
Why not dye a spare bit of cotton material with that skirt...then test out the soap pods on *it* first?

Wow, never even heard of these before. Where can you buy them in Dublin, do you know?
Impressed, I am! :)

I guess you'd need to try them out on something black to know how they'll do.
Why not dye a spare bit of cotton material with that skirt...then test out the soap pods on *it* first?

Good thinking!

They're great, but I haven't tried them on anything that wasn't colourfast before. Recently, out of sheer laziness, I've been using non-bio liquid. You can get them in Nourish and in that amazing Eco place in/near Temple Bar.

Good thinking!

They're great, but I haven't tried them on anything that wasn't colourfast before. Recently, out of sheer laziness, I've been using non-bio liquid. You can get them in Nourish and in that amazing Eco place in/near Temple Bar.
Nourish, I know well. The amazing Eco place? Where exactly is it?
I have to try these soap pods. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back