Afro Samurai (1 Viewer)

Space

is deep
Supporter
Solutions
Anyone seen it, just downloading the first two episodes, looks interesting.

Afro%20Samurai.jpg

Ron Perlman , Samuel L. do voices and RZA does the soundtrack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro_Samurai

http://www.afrosamurai.com/

Yes there are. Which I procured thinking it looked decent. I wasn't impressed though.

Me neither. It tried so hard to be super-cool and ultra-hip that it forgot things like an interesting plot, characterisation, etc. (much like the slightly-but-not-much-better-Samurai Champloo).

The voice acting's pretty sub-par, too; I really hate this trend of getting well-known names, rather than actual trained voice actors, to do animated films/shows.

Like most GONZO-produced anime, though, it looks pretty good.

i know nothing about anime, but how could something
called "afro samurai" in which "Samuel L. do voices and
RZA does the soundtrack." ever be good, unless you're
14 or something. i mean seriously.

Samurai Champloo).
Never got to finish this but liked what I saw of the first few volumes. Doesnt' sustain?
Have similar cautious reservations to Afro Samurai as expressed by others in this thread.
Wunna dese days i'msa gi' it a day in court.

Never got to finish this but liked what I saw of the first few volumes. Doesnt' sustain?

I didn't actively dislike SC. My main quibble with it was that it was a bit too smart for its own good. It tried to be a clever postmodern take, with its various anachronisms and hip-hop soundtrack, on the bog-standard samurai anime, but it never quite clicked with me. It just seemed a bit too self-aware and overly impressed with its own supposed coolness, something that the stylistically-similar Cowboy Bebop (made a few years earlier by the same director, Shinichiro Watanabe) managed to avoid most of the time.

That being said, I'd still prefer SC to an actual bog-standard samurai anime any day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back