afghanistan (1 Viewer)

the guy who was the head of the afghan central bank until yesterday has posted a thread about the last week, including how he got out of kabul... it’s pretty fascinating

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I cannot believe he was still going to work Saturday and Sunday!

Interesting reading all your perspectives.

Over here the general mood is shame, regret, anger, confusion, a genuine acceptance that this is a shit show that is partially Britains fault. It's hit the Brits pretty hard. They've all come round to the idea that they shouldn't have been there in the first place. That realisation came years ago.

Pretty heartbreaking shit listening to the mother of a dead soldier on the radio earlier. Obvs I'm no fan of the brit army. 14 years ago, her son was saying "Mum we're doing good things here, the girls are in school, the locals like us, we're building roads and digging wells". Must be an unusual situation for a British soldier to be in. But then he died. His mum was on the radio today "For what?".

The Taliban are the biggest opium dealers in the world. THAT will be the big problem imo. It might sort out the fentanyl problem, who knows. I'm sure the Chinese would love to turn all the Brits into junkies. They have long memories.

The Taliban are the biggest opium dealers in the world. THAT will be the big problem imo.

hmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

wikipedia:

In July 2000, Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar, collaborating with the UN to eradicate heroin production in Afghanistan, declared that growing poppies was un-Islamic, resulting in one of the world's most successful anti-drug campaigns. The Taliban enforced a ban on poppy farming via threats, forced eradication, and public punishment of transgressors. The result was a 99% reduction in the area of opium poppy farming in Taliban-controlled areas, roughly three quarters of the world's supply of heroin at the time.[17] The ban was effective only briefly due to the deposition of the Taliban in 2002.

source of the claim: Wayback Machine

Well that's
hmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

wikipedia:

source of the claim: Wayback Machine
Well that's interesting. I find it hard to believe. But hey I'm not over there or anything. I find it hard to believe that all that opium was being grown without the tacit approval of at least some Talibans. It's a big country, and the Taliban are a disparate group. I doubt they have full control over their own underlings.

Well that's interesting. I find it hard to believe. But hey I'm not over there or anything. I find it hard to believe that all that opium was being grown without the tacit approval of at least some Talibans. It's a big country, and the Taliban are a disparate group. I doubt they have full control over their own underlings.

seems fairly well borne-out by the evidence. academic study here.

it always annoyed me that there were a couple of really obvious lies that the west told about the taliban. one of them was this drug stuff. the other was that the taliban “refused” to give up bin laden in 2001, when the opposite was actually the case: they directly offerred to surrender bin laden, and bush refused to take him.

Well thank you for that. I suppose this is the good robust debate that's needed in times like this. Maybe I've been listening to my angry, ashamed, saddened but very proud English boss too much these past couple of weeks. I've never seen him so despondent about geo-politics.

I remember the Taliban offering up Bin Laden, now that you mention it.

I guess the thing is generally for me, Bush, Obama, Trump, Biden, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Johnson, Ahern are all complicit. The entirety of the Western body politic is responsible for this. Our grandchildren will curse us for this, from their heat-shielded caves.

Just read some Americans online moaning about the lack of manhood by the Afghans in their unwillingness to slaughter each other in cold blood:

These MEN of Afghan just dropped everything without even an attempt at a fight. This is what happens when people go soft and hope other stake care of them

There you go, America losing a war = why social security should be cut.

Fucking hellworld thread

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yep - basically it's Stallone's fault.
the US getting involved in Afghanistan in 1980's gradually led to the complete destabilisation of the region.
Pakistan was doing OK until then and Western interference brought a moderate country to it's knees.

As far as the Soviets go Afghanistan is seen as their Vietnam with similar movies being made about soldier's
experiences.

Well thank you for that. I suppose this is the good robust debate that's needed in times like this. Maybe I've been listening to my angry, ashamed, saddened but very proud English boss too much these past couple of weeks. I've never seen him so despondent about geo-politics.

I remember the Taliban offering up Bin Laden, now that you mention it.

I guess the thing is generally for me, Bush, Obama, Trump, Biden, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Johnson, Ahern are all complicit. The entirety of the Western body politic is responsible for this. Our grandchildren will curse us for this, from their heat-shielded caves.
Bush and Blair are both war criminals anyway, remember

Bush and Blair are both war criminals anyway, remember
Yeah, all them fuckers.

History will judge us all though. And we knew it at the time. We marched, we shouted, we complained on the internet, *WE* voted for Kronos, but we ultimately let it happen. And now we can do nothing at all. I find it really depressing.

Last edited:
Not terribly pleased with what I'm hearing Biden saying now, listening to the news.

Afghans are pussies, Americans are more important, it was Trumps fault anyway kind of thing.

Yeah, all them fuckers.

History will judge us all though. And we knew it at the time. We marched, we shouted, we complained on the internet, but we ultimately let it happen. And now we can do nothing at all. I find it really depressing.
Well like what the fuck could we do? I'm all for mass rebellion and all that, but most people wouldn't go along with it haha. And it's not like I voted for any of those cunts. I'd be well up for a mass strike, but would that even happen?

I did edit my last post to be more to your taste.

It's not like we all fucked it up this last week. I think people a little bit older/less forward thinking than us are getting a massive kick up the arse these past few weeks. Yes uncle Dave, your lot did fuck the world up. Yeah, thanks for developing a system where I can afford avocado's, I like avocado's, but all this shit is your fault. And you've fucked it all up so much that I don't know that we can unfuck it. Not because we're snowflakes, because you've fucked this up real bad.

Sorry, there's just a very grim mood in the air over here. It's affecting me.

Absolutely the Americans took liberties with opium growing. The production (at least) doubled under their watch. The same way the FBI got their mits dirty flying invoke to Miami from Columbia.

the US Army are fond of capitalising on native resources. I know it’s not oil but they are responsible for an increased global supply of heroin

I did edit my last post to be more to your taste.

It's not like we all fucked it up this last week. I think people a little bit older/less forward thinking than us are getting a massive kick up the arse these past few weeks. Yes uncle Dave, your lot did fuck the world up. Yeah, thanks for developing a system where I can afford avocado's, I like avocado's, but all this shit is your fault. And you've fucked it all up so much that I don't know that we can unfuck it. Not because we're snowflakes, because you've fucked this up real bad.

Sorry, there's just a very grim mood in the air over here. It's affecting me.
Here - do you get any sense of a reality check on the little Britain/spirit of ‘41 nonsense or is it just pure cognitive dissonance phase at the moment.

re - do you get any sense of a reality check on the little Britain/spirit of ‘41 nonsense or is it just pure cognitive dissonance phase at the moment.

Genuinely all I get the feeling of is sadness shame and mortification. They've known Afghanistan was a bad idea for a long time. They really disliked having their status laid bare to them, when you compare US military power with the UK's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back