Aer Lingus Flights (1 Viewer)

Oh look, Aer Lingus was privatized between 2006 and 2015 and has gone to shit in that time period, total coincidence I'm sure.
This is it exactly

Hugely noticeable
They used to lamp out the booze on the long distance flights and had loads of flexibility in seat assignments, just for a few examples. Whatever you asked for you got, and it was pleasant enough.
A lot of major European carriers are still like this - pleasant. You don't have to be a prick to make money.

Another big thing recently (last 5 years or so) is that they will fuck with you on seating
You book two tickets on your credit card for you and the missus and expect to sit together? Hahaha GFY. We're putting you at opposite ends of the plane. Shoulda paid for seats cheapo fucks.
Not sure how they rigged it, but it went from never happening, to these couples wandering the aisles on every flight trying to sit together.
They used to move heaven and earth for carry-able kids, that's not hugely a thing anymore either.

Again, for someone that flew with them a lot, the change was starkly noticeable.

I'd still pick them over RyanAir in a two horse race, cos RA are nazis on the bags. Or so I'm told.

I'm reminded of a Christmas many years ago when the snow howled and the winds rained or whatever.

Aer Lingus cancelled many flights. I was put on a list for preferential seats the next morning. The woman said "don't even bother trying for the 06:30 flight, but try for the 07:15 flight".

In amongst all the other people trying to get home, I met someone from next town over, who knew my cousin or something.

I arrive late the next day, and the woman in the queue catches me and says "your name was called", so I push past the big angry mob, meet the woman who was the same woman that was there at 23:00 the night before. She looks at her list (hand written by her), seruptitiously prints a ticket and whispers "go to gate X, don't make a scene".

So I do and get home, passing many murder eyes on the way.

Point of the story is: this woman didn't work for Aer Lingus, but some agency that AL had conracted to deal with the shit they didn't want to deal with. That woman did too good a job. AL are still making money out of her extraordinary efforts. Maybe I should fuck brand loyalty.

Aer Lingus are pure fucking shite these days for sure.
Similar thing happened to me flying to Germany 2 months ago, 7am flight Dublin-Frankfurt. Got to the airport at 5am, gate number there, got all the way down to the gate, now the sign is "Wait for information". Nothing forthcoming until 7am, at which point they announce "Sorry your flight is cancelled, fuck yourselves."
Then had to spend 1.5 hours+ in a queue at the info desk waiting to get rebooked on a later flight, eventually got sent with SwissAir around 12.30, ONLY CAUSE I'D LOOKED UP WHO ELSE WOULD BE FLYING TO FRANKFURT AND FUCKIN MADE THEM. They wanted to send me on a flight connecting through Amsterdam at 2.30 or some fucking bullshit.
Anyway, reason for the flight being cancelled? Pilot had covid. This was a Thursday. 4 days earlier, on the Monday, the same flight had been cancelled because, Pilot had covid – it was in the news at the time. So basically, THEY FUCKING KNEW the pilot had covid and in 4 days didn't get a stand-by/replacement.
Cunts.

This is it exactly

Hugely noticeable
They used to lamp out the booze on the long distance flights and had loads of flexibility in seat assignments, just for a few examples. Whatever you asked for you got, and it was pleasant enough.
A lot of major European carriers are still like this - pleasant. You don't have to be a prick to make money.

Another big thing recently (last 5 years or so) is that they will fuck with you on seating
You book two tickets on your credit card for you and the missus and expect to sit together? Hahaha GFY. We're putting you at opposite ends of the plane. Shoulda paid for seats cheapo fucks.
Not sure how they rigged it, but it went from never happening, to these couples wandering the aisles on every flight trying to sit together.
They used to move heaven and earth for carry-able kids, that's not hugely a thing anymore either.

Again, for someone that flew with them a lot, the change was starkly noticeable.

I'd still pick them over RyanAir in a two horse race, cos RA are nazis on the bags. Or so I'm told.
being nazis with bags is a good thing though in my opinion. There's nothing worse than some prick coming onto the flight with bags galore, taking up all the overhead space. Ryanair have rules and if you stick within those rules, there won't be a problem. Aer Lingus are more inclined to turn a blind eye to an extra bit of weight here and there, and sometimes thats good. Personally I like the fact that you know exactly what you're going to get when you pay for it.

I used to avoid Ryanair like the plague based on shit I'd heard about them (but never experienced myself). I was stuck out in the canaries one year and Aer Lingus cancelled my return flight. I'd no option but to return home with Ryanair, and I couldn't have been more impressed. Now I'd choose them over Aer Lingus because I like the familiarity. Its worth the few extra sheckles for the exit row for the legroom and the guaranteed overhead bin space.

Flying with them again on thursday to Rome.

I flew Ryanair a few weeks ago and I was conscientious about my bag in case they started acting up about it and I had to dump stuff. They let people carry on all sorts of huge stuff

i've only ever flown one return trip with ryanair, and the person who checked our boarding passes at the gate on the outward leg was michael o'leary. it's insane that he has time to do that for new customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back