advice please (1 Viewer)

oh wow, theres nothing I'd rather do then all guitar geeky on a slow friday...top stuff.

Personally I think the marshall would win me over between those two. Although I find marshalls to be real inconsistent, one can sound great, another exact same model can sound terrible and middy and crap, I don't use distortion on amps much so the often talked about great marshall crunch is lost on me really, yeah so eh, while not my favourite amp when they sound good they can be really great.

The Line 6 is tempting but I'm mad suspicous of all this digital ho-ha, of which line 6 seem to be leading the way in fairness to them, but I sorta feel it could become obselete quickly and eh, stuff.. though it does look like a fab amp...oh hang on the Marshall has digital gear as well...hhhmmmm

for the digital gear you can't beat Line 6, I havn't played much of it but they really seem to have their shit together, with Marshall you reckon they're just following the herd on their digital stuff

so eh here, these should help more then me...

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Marshall/VS2000_AVT150_112_Combo-01.html

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Line_6/Spider_212_Combo-01.html

there usually fairly reliable user reviews, if you keep your bullshit detector like...

oh and check out the marshall stck I've got...

have read and re-read harmony central many times

i think the line 6 is the one, mainly for the ac30 emulation really. i have a thing against marshalls

I got a second hand AC-30 about ten years ago and about two years ago I got a Marshall and you know what? I prefer the old shite AC-30! Sorry that's not much help to you as you're not getting an AC-30, but I'm just saying that I'm no Marshall fan. I mean, the amp's okay and all, but it's inconsistent and just okay. It lacks warmth. Apparently the Marshall really shines when you use the effects loop - other than that it's fairly bog standard.

This isn't really helpful, is it? Techie stuff kind of intimidates me.

Stuart Little (01 Mar, 2002 03:36 p.m.):
Pantone, how could anyone play on an amp that size?

Don't be ridiculous.

I'd go with the Marshall _just_ because it's a Marshall...

yeah yeah size don't matter

I use the Marshall for recording (its about 12 inches high) its sounds deadly and distorts like crazy

I don't use it on stage like... it'd keep falling over or I'd step on it or something... though I have been tempted.

i adore ac30's, it's the led zep and drive like jehu amp, and i used one on the null set record, but i can't afford it at all, considering maintenance. once we hit the 10,000 lp sales mark i'll get one.

i think we're near that mark, only something like 9834 to go...

the line6 seems to do a great ac30 emulation which is why i guess i'm leaning towards it. however, big rip off is that most of the extra digital effects can only be accessed if you buy the floorboard at around €399.
then again, i would never *use* any of the effects.....

Emulation will always be emulation.

There's a million virtual amps on my 8 track and none of them sound real. They ok for recording rough songs but rubbish for the real thing.

Digital amps. hhhmmm. Any more than 6 or 7 knobs and it's all wrong.

dudley (01 Mar, 2002 03:59 p.m.):
then again, i would never *use* any of the effects.....

if your not into your wacky effects I wouldn't see the point in going for a digital amp at all... it would be such a nightmare if it started acting up and all

Surely for your money you could get a decent enough vavle Marshall or Fender or something?

what kind prices are the Vox AC30's going for these days??

i tried out an ac30 in cork on thursday and i must say they're mighty fine amps... but if you're buying a digital amp just to get an expensive approximation of a valve amp... i dunno. try one of those laney valve amps, they're a bit more reasonably priced... i did blow the speaker on one tho'. i'm on the lookout for an old selmer treble'n'bass or a similar wem product. i also tried out a dynacord tape echo unit on thursday, just lookin' but.

DEFINITELY get a second hand Peavey studio pro 112, they're the greatest amp ever, i sleep in mine.
They sound really warm and crunchy, and not at all like a shitey old marshall. Loves the peaveys i does, loves em.

i plucked up all my courage, rang musician to check they had the line6, and walked over to find them closed for stocktake. argghghghghg!

so, to hell with it all, and i'm robbing my old granny to get the money for an ac30

you cheeky monkey! i've been saving all that money for some wool to make you a nice new geansai! you'll be getting coal this christmas so you will!

dudley (04 Mar, 2002 11:18 a.m.):
i plucked up all my courage, rang musician to check they had the line6, and walked over to find them closed for stocktake. argghghghghg!

so, to hell with it all, and i'm robbing my old granny to get the money for an ac30

yay

AC30s for everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back