About to take the plunge into the world of DSLR (1 Viewer)

you lose functionality though (on the olympus; and i believe the situation is similar with old nikon lenses on nikon DSLRs) as there are only electrical couplings on the DSLR lenses, and only mechanical couplings on the OM lenses. e.g. whatever aperture you select on the lens is automatically engaged, not just at exposure time. some metering modes don't work due to lack of said coupling, but enough do that that's not a huge issue. also, olympus don't recommend all apertures - given the size of the CCD sensor (smaller than on nikons or canons), the focal length conversion factor is 2x, rather than the more usual 1.6x.

i think with the pentax once you use a custom function to engage the appature ring you can either use it as av-priority or metered/manual. Not 100% sure on this, but needless to say will check it out if I get serious about buying it

one thing about the olympus is that they do not use a proprietary olympus lens mount - they use the 4/3 system, which is also shared by fuji, i think, so the lenses are interchangeable between marques.

it's available in the camera exchange or in conn's for €995, with the two lenses. i got it in the camera exchange.
the manual focus option on the lenses is poor - the MF ring just engages the AF motors, it's not directly coupled, so is very fiddly; dunno how this compares with canon or nikon lenses.
menu is fairly easy to get around - took a couple of days to get used to it, but i was new to digital photography.
it's not great at speeds above 400ASA; i believe canons are best in low light.

It's a grand everywhere. Cheaper on Pixmania and half that in Hong Kong. I was supposed to be getting the twin lens e500 but went instead for the Canon 350D, as I was already had the non digital SLR. Even up to ISO 1600, there's very little noise.

The Olympus manual focus sounds a bit dodgy. On the Canon, it'll still give you a hint that you're in focus (fromt the AF), but will let you take the picture. The focus ring on manual is right at the front of the lens and is quite small. But it's quite quick to get used to.

I like the idea of the four-thirds mount, but they're by no means cheap. But there are few cheap lenses these days.

It is really worth shelling out for if you're likely to need it for graphic design - say anything from A4-size brochures to posters etc?

What are the advantages/disadvantages?

The Olympus E-500 Twin Lens Kit is going for 830 in Argos. That's a bargain.

Re Full-Frame, etc., It's a ton of money in the difference. And quality wise as well. My Canon 350D does A3+ with no loss of quality. But, as I'm never going to use it to take a picture to fit on a 50ft billboard, then it's not a problem. If all you're going to use it for is A4, then any of the "entry level" DSLR's will do. As will some of the more expensive compacts. Some of the graphics we used in the past in the old job weren't really up to much, but as we were printing on A5 size booklets in the main, it suited perfectly.

That's a good price. Jessops have it similarly priced and you may be able to get a deal with an extra lens.

The one for E868 has a spare battery as well. Very handy. But the battery does last for ages. And a card reader.

400D is a brilliant camera.

Incredibly easy to use. And perfect quality.

Same as Jessops.

Of course, you could always go for the 350D in Jessops, a snip at E669.

If you were going to spend the 869, you could get a twin lens Olympus E500 in Argos. Much better value and difference in quality is negligible. Only noticeable at high ISO and even then....

And 8MP is more than enough when you eat thru hard drives like moi.

price is now fixed (€869)

oh well

Great deal on the Nikon D70S with a 17-75mm(i think) in Conn's.

899euro.

I bought a 350D a while back, don't think I considered the D70 enough though....

well the nice man in Jessops said they do the 400d kit for €799 but luckily they hadn't got any in stock... that's as cheap as the cheapest internet price i could find (on komplett.ie).

well the nice man in Jessops said they do the 400d kit for €799 but luckily they hadn't got any in stock... that's as cheap as the cheapest internet price i could find (on komplett.ie).

If you wanna spend that kinda money I'd recommend it. I :heart: my 350D, it's got me shit loadsa rep too, not like you'd be swayed by that kinda thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back