Abortion Rights Campaign Planning Day, 19th Jan 2012 (1 Viewer)

Psycho Punk

Abortion Rights Campaign Planning Day, 19th Jan 2012

You are cordially, nay, enthusiastically invited to fill out this registration form for an Abortion Rights Campaign planning day.

When? 19th Jan 2012, 10.45 - 5.00pm
Where? The Teacher's Club, 36 Parnell Square West, Dublin 1

This is a crucial time for abortion rights in Ireland. There are so many wonderful groups andenthusiastic individuals fighting for the right to choose. There is huge potential, and the strength of our fight will GROW with collaboration and commitment.

Let's get to developing a sound, strong and sustainable structure for a national campaign. Let's make useful and replicable resources that individuals and groups can use to promote the message nationally and avoid doubling up of our work as individuals and groups.

WHAT'S HAPPENED SO FAR?

At two national meetings so far, aims of the campaign, key areas of work and activities were discussed.

AIMS: 5 aims form the core of the campaign. Essentially, these ambitious but achievable aims cover;

1) Driving for action on x & c
2) Repeal of the 8th amendment / extensive abortion legislation in Northern Ireland
3) Accessible, safe abortion for all who want it, regardless of economic capacity or citizenship status
4) A strong national voice involving diverse groups and areas
5) Challenging anti-choice rhetoric.

PILLARS: 5 pillars (or areas of work) for a successful national abortion rights campaign and
a number of key activities in each area are: (see form below for sample activities for each group)

A) Media & Social Media
B) Partnerships & Outreach
C) Politics & Lobbying
D) Creative & Direct Action
E) Funding & Admin

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

Saturday the 19th will be divided into two sessions:

STRATEGIC MORNING: The first half will be a plenary session
(we will all be together in one room)
to look at structure and strategic issues (what needs to happen, when etc.)

WORKING AFTERNOON: The second half will be action focused.
In this section we will break into 5 groups
(1 group each to develop action plans for each pillar of the campaign).

In groups, using ideas gathered at two previous national meetings, we will start looking at
key actions and activities to develop this national campaign. It will be practical, reality-tested,
and we will be asking people / groups to roll up their sleeves and sign up for jobs.
We will also be considering some key dates to plan activities.

After the small groups, we will come together to develop some key aims, activities
and a timeline for the next 6 months.

Registration and more details at: http://www.irishchoicenetwork.com/planning-day-19th-january.html

psycho, most of your pinko shit bores me, but i'm with you on this one. i assume you'll be actually going to this anyways. i wont because i live in the wrong irelands.

anyways - here's the thing about 'the debate' - i.e. logic and civil rights vs. catholicists.

both sides are very deep in thier relative corners, with deep seated beliefs. when you challenge either side, you get cognitive dissonance, anger, passions and the like taking a front seat in proceedings. this is the great anchor in irish politics, you can predict elections pretty much based on what side of the debate a party puts itself, making pro life, and pro choice essentially swing states in our system. now any politician worth thier election winning salt knows this, and because of the passion factor, it is not in anyones political interest to basically demolish the swing states by actually doing something, which is a great help to the two party system.

if you guys can figure out a way to work campaigning so it avoids this deadlock, then you are on to something, otherwise, polarization means we stay stone age for another while.

I think things have moved on and the absolute lifers are actually a small minority.

Politicians in certain areas are terrified of them because they make so much noise.

I think the way to proceed is to accept that right now the only thing achievable is X Case Legislation.

Next would be a campaign to repeal the eighth amendment.

This would then allow for a campaign to allow abortion in the case of rape, non viable foetus and risk to womens health.

Any achievement of Abortion On Request would be far off imho.

I think things have moved on and the absolute lifers are actually a small minority.

i've heard that from a few people, its something i watch closely. i think its a myth to be honest - the way to tell is really in the next election, if ff and fg start playing the pro life card to win the swing state. if anyone is watching the numbers, those guys are. its easy to believe these things in the tunnel vision world of internet. if they don't play that card, then i am wrong.

i've heard that from a few people, its something i watch closely. i think its a myth to be honest - the way to tell is really in the next election, if ff and fg start playing the pro life card to win the swing state. if anyone is watching the numbers, those guys are. its easy to believe these things in the tunnel vision world of internet. if they don't play that card, then i am wrong.

I can only say look at the opinion polls. The lifers are a spent force. Only 8% opposed abotion in all circumstances. If FG want to pursue that demographic then fair play to them.

I can only say look at the opinion polls. The lifers are a spent force. Only 8% opposed abotion in all circumstances. If FG want to pursue that demographic then fair play to them.

i think ff are the ones to watch in that regard. they will literally do anything to get back in power and will be following numbers rabidly at this point. also, don't rule out the irish people from africa and poland who can be very, very religious.

oh - also, i'm away off the point i was after here. even when the anti's outweigh the pro's, its still swing states. there needs to be middle ground dialog to erode that rather than A vs. B which are clearly visible to the electioneers.

i think ff are the ones to watch in that regard. they will literally do anything to get back in power and will be following numbers rabidly at this point. also, don't rule out the irish people from africa and poland who can be very, very religious.

You are right about the ultra religious immigrants but they are a minority.

FF will not make gains in Dublin if come across as not caring if pregnant women die. Even in rural areas there are few constituencies where they will make gains on that.

Agree that language used is important.

Wont use Bye Bye Baby as theme for campaign.

i read this yoke about politics once. the philosphy is that if the people want a bridge, don't build the bridge, just keep promising the bridge. if the next election is decided on legislation for x, then promising the bridge is the best move for the winners, not actually delivering it. thats the thing to consider when you are mounting any campaign, especially a tried and tested one.

Abortion Rights Campaign established in Dublin today, 19/01/20130

At a national pro-choice meeting in Dublin today, the name and aims of the
newly established Abortion Rights Campaign were announced. Groups and
individuals from across the country, including Cork, Dublin, Galway,
Limerick and Belfast came together to discuss and agree the next steps for
the movement.

The aims of the campaign include legislation on the X & C cases and repeal
of the 8th amendment to the Irish constitution. Actions and events are
being organised across the country over the coming months.

Speakers at the event included Clare Daly TD who said, “The Abortion Rights
Campaign is not a sprint, it's a marathon and we're here for the long haul.
In the meantime, we want the immediate introduction of legislation for the
right to safe, legal abortion when a woman's life is at risk, including
from suicide. We also want the simplest, broadest legislation that includes
the right to abortion in the case of fatal foetal abnormality. We will keep
the pressure on until we get this."

Meeting chair, Ailbhe Smyth said, “Today the Abortion Rights Campaign has
started to build a strong effective national campaign with the short term
aim of prompt action on X case legislation. We want to include all the
different interest groups across the country: student unions, community
groups, human rights organisations, trade unions, legal and medical groups
and equality campaigners in a campaign for repeal of the 8th amendment.”

Clare Butler, a meeting organiser added, “It is inspiring to see so many
pro-choice groups and individuals working together to fight for the rights
that we deserve. We are greater than the sum of our parts. We are the
majority.”

The Abortion Rights Campaign is currently planning a series of event to
mark the 21st anniversary of the X case at the end of February.

Anyone wishing to get involved can email [email protected]

http://www.irishchoicenetwork.com/

http://www.choiceireland.org/

http://www.savitaslaws.com/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back