90s bands with really good first 2 albums... (1 Viewer)

steveamanakick

Website
www.windingswindings.com
...and then diminishing returns from subsequent efforts. The bands have to still be going. This thread was inspired by the Foo's thread, cos they're shit now, and were great for their first 2 albums, just like Weezer and ...Placebo! Yes!
And i don't disagree with me! The Green Album is nothing! And Placebo were good!

Primal Scream are the only ones I can think of off-hand. Sonic Flower Groove is very much of it's time but worth a listen as a curio-doesn't hold up too well. Screamadelica-well that's a given classic-mostly due to Andy Weatherall in fairness.
Why they turned into The Quireboys is beyond me.
Bobby Gillespie's PoMo ransacking of his hipster record collection is beyond self-parody.

Primal Scream are the only ones I can think of off-hand. Sonic Flower Groove is very much of it's time but worth a listen as a curio-doesn't hold up too well. Screamadelica-well that's a given classic-mostly due to Andy Weatherall in fairness.
Why they turned into The Quireboys is beyond me.
Bobby Gillespie's PoMo ransacking of his hipster record collection is beyond self-parody.

Sonic Flower Groove was the debut but Screamadelica was the third LP.

In between they released Primal Scream in 1989. An average record.

Sonic Flower Groove was the debut but Screamadelica was the third LP.

In between they released Primal Scream in 1989. An average record.

Right you are! Back to the drawing-board.

I refute the thought in the initial post that Placebo even released ONE good record but there you are.

Smashing Pumpkins. First two records are pretty good. Consumed by William Corgan's rampant ego thereafter.

Nah, you're wrong Mitchum. Placebo used to be deadly.
They had a stupid habit of releasing their gammiest songs as singles.
But that first album is great - with the exception of Nancy Boy. What an awful, AWFUL song.

Nah, you're wrong Mitchum. Placebo used to be deadly.
They had a stupid habit of releasing their gammiest songs as singles.
But that first album is great - with the exception of Nancy Boy. What an awful, AWFUL song.

Not for me. I found/find their anthems for androgony as generic as their guitar riffs. Brian Molko's whine is nails-down-the-blackboard & he 'means it, man'. Utterly humourless, cod-goth nonsense.

Not for me. I found/find their anthems for androgony as generic as their guitar riffs. Brian Molko's whine is nails-down-the-blackboard & he 'means it, man'. Utterly humourless, cod-goth nonsense.

I liked the first album at the time. And that "you don't care about us" one and that "brick shit house" one off second album. Looking back I'm sure I'd still like 'em now.

But yer man puts way too much "h" in. Wrecks the head after a while.

OH Poo-hoo-hooor mee-hee-heee. Oh GAWD Why-hy-hy. Pee-hee-hee-nis. Needu-hul-hul.

That's their next single.

I liked the first album at the time. And that "you don't care about us" one and that "brick shit house" one off second album. Looking back I'm sure I'd still like 'em now.

But yer man puts way too much "h" in. Wrecks the head after a while.

OH Poo-hoo-hooor mee-hee-heee. Oh GAWD Why-hy-hy. Pee-hee-hee-nis. Needu-hul-hul.

That's their next single.

Yeah, he's an awful prick alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back