5D or 7D (1 Viewer)

Someone selling a 1DS Mk II on photography-ireland for 1000 euros ono. That's full frame and 16MP. So it's got a bunch more MPs than the 5D .. and would presumably be better-built as it's a pro camera .....
ht?

If I had the cash, I'd snap that up

EDIT: eh, scratch that, I though you said a 5D mkII

If I had the cash, I'd snap that up

EDIT: eh, scratch that, I though you said a 5D mkII

quote - "EOS 1Ds MK 2 (16MP, FF) ". Is that right?

What's wrong with this camera? No video, like the 5D?

quote - "EOS 1Ds MK 2 (16MP, FF) ". Is that right?

What's wrong with this camera? No video, like the 5D?

it seems fierce heavy compared to 5D and other similar... also checked, the seller is a pro
mr pharmacist exclamation exclamation exclamation had a good point regarding use,
with such an old camera I'm sure it would be well broken in by a pro.

In terms of drawbacks or limitations, the 5D has a very spartan feature set by modern standards. It has picture styles for JPG output but that's about the only "special effect". No art filters, no face detection, no trap focus, no multi-spot metering, no artificial horizon, no highlight tone priority, no dynamic range expansion, no movie mode, no automatic pan stitching, no in-camera anti-shake. Macho male photographers tend to pooh-pooh these things as a sign of girly weakness, but they're nice to have, assuming they can be turned off to suit individual taste.

Maybe I'm a "macho male photographer" but I'd prefer a camera that didn't have all that stuff ..... except maybe the multi-spot metering.

The fact of the sensor being full frame is superficially impressive but wears thin very quickly; the widespread availability of ultrawide "designed for digital" lenses and advances in sensor technology have wiped out most of the advantages of a full frame sensor.

This seems like crap to me as well ..... but ...... would like to hear from someone with experience of the full-frame thing if it is or not ....

yeah I don't know, part of it was also that the viewfinder was smaller and dimmer compared to the olympus om -10 which I just got as a pressie, I know it's digital but having the olympus and a perfectly good g10 makes the
5d less attractive.

- in a world where cameras with smaller sensors outresolve it, outperform it, and have a wider range of cheaper lenses that perform well - it will soon no longer justify its price premium on the used market.

the sensor cleaning mode merely holds the shutter open. You have to clean the sensor yourself - and you won't get it perfectly clean. Not around the edges.

... which is why Janer was recommending the mii instead of the classic... I think I'm just reluctant to part
with that much moola without feeling 100 percent certain. what's the pixels/sensor deal again

image quality is more dependent on sensor that pixels or something no? and lenses then?

This seems like crap to me as well ..... but ...... would like to hear from someone with experience of the full-frame thing if it is or not ....
I much prefer the larger viewfinder on a full frame camera. I use a 5D as well as a 350D so I see the difference quite often. As for the sensor cleaning issue, I've just haf my cleaned by canon and it's spotless, even at the edges.

as with all questions regarding camera gear answers will be colored by peoples experiences-
depends on what you want to do - as i said the 5d will give you near medium format film colour and detail, its viewfinder is big and bright compared with aps sensors(although not as bright as old 35mm cameras). its a well made bit of kit as well. if you want to seriously do portraits.landscapes or arty stuff get it. its big and bulky tho...
i have a g7, and to be honest, for its size and price its a mighty camera- i can only imagine the g10 is somewhat improved to say the least. if you want high quality off the cuff stuff you wont need anything else. (tbh, if the g7 had a better viewfinder and no shutter lag it would never leave my hand!)

I'm a wanker in real life too. But you can't base that on my last post. Just cause I'm up front about calling someone a liar. There's no way he paid €700 for a 7D in New York. If he shows proof that he did I'll give him a blow job.

No it didn't. You're just talking shit.

It cost something like 2,350 here before xmas and I got it for the equivalent of 1,400 or so.

It's currently listed on bhphotovideo.com for $1800 (with a lens) which is e1332 at the current exchange rate.

It's currently listed on Pixmania at a shade under 2,200 euro.

No thanks regarding the blow job, though.

Is B&H the place around the back of the old post office? It an amazing shop alright but i went in there about two years ago and said to the guy "i'm here to pay $500 on a low light lens" and he treated me like a total inconvenienc (as did the two other dudes i dealt with there), which was a pisser as i'd been ogling the place online for years. Deadly being around all the stuff and the gadgets and all that, plus the floorwalkers were all sound, just the dudes behind the camera counters were rude.

Anyone bought from this place? http://www.vkcameras.com/items.php?id=951155206

5DMII for 1253 europes? that's good right? right? had a 7D on it for 8hundredandsomething too.

maybe with this lens for starters? http://www.vkcameras.com/items.php?id=951084835

1084835big.jpg

the more I look at the site the dodgier it seems, way too good to be true, everything like half the price
I've seen it anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back