5D or 7D (1 Viewer)

sarah

Website
www.flickr.com
Hey,

Have wanted to get a DSLR for ages... but this will be the last big
spend for a good while...
I just can't decide between the relative advantages and disadvantages
between the 5D full frame and whether I'll actually miss not having it that much.
With the 7D you have option of movies I like the idea of having options to mess around with that at a later stage... but I know the smaller sensor size will then affect the actual focal length of lenses... how
annoying is this?
What would thumped do?

5D shoots video also, new firmware allows the coveted 24p

7D has a bigger sensor and 2 of them, not much use for video, but for burst photography, sorted.

Me, I'd get a 5D and spend the difference on lens's

Actually, scratch that, I'd get the new Rebel Tsi(whatever) and spend even more on lens's

Are you sure you're not looking at them the wrong way around? 7D shoots movies....5d doesn't
also faster continuous shooting in 7D. I guess money on lenses is never wasted one way or another. Think
I'll only buy two max, at the rate I read manuals that will keep me going for years.

moos and I had a very long and boring (for anyone standing next to us) drunken conversation over weekend,
alas I still can't decide nor really remember what was suggested.

I guess what I'm really wondering is: is full frame that spectacular or would it be ages before you really
noticed a need for it?

I find i'm very slow getting to grips with all the functions on cameras so it takes me a while to push anthing to where I notice
capabilities I want or shortcomings etc..

550d looks to be almost (ALMOST) as good as the 7D for waaayyy less cash. and as the man says, that's more money for lenseses.

550d looks to be almost (ALMOST) as good as the 7D for waaayyy less cash. and as the man says, that's more money for lenseses.

true, good bit lighter too.

Just saw this in one of the reviews

'Be careful, from what I can tell, and nobody else has shown me otherwise, there is no

accessible Raw images available from a Canon EOS 550D camera, only Jpeg. The Raw

camera setting is bogus. Maybe there is a plug in or an update coming that will

change that."

Personally I haven't used RAW yet but might want to use it as some stage. Also video sucks according to another review...
any thoughts?

reviews of 550 and 7d both say video mode crap at focusing on moving subjects.

i've got a 5d mark 2. cant recommend it enough. amazing camera
you'll save yourself a few bones by going with the 7d which you could spend on lenses.
updated the firmware to shoot at 24fps. t'is real nice.

A few conflicting replies in the thread to what I perceive each Camera to be.

Sarah it depends on what you shoot?
If it's for wildlife (Birds etc) or Sports (!) or anything that you like the 'extra' reach of the crop or faster FPS then the 7D is the best and 500D/550D a cheaper 'best'

Referring to the 5D is this the 'classic' version ie mk I?
If so while the IQ cannot be matched by the crop Cams mentioned above it does collect dust as it hasn't got an automatic sensor cleaner.(5D II has)
If it were the 5D II you were referring too you will get excellent ISO for lowlight, amazing full HD video (not easy to master) and obviously a wider field of view on ur lens, ie it is what your lens say!
Either of the 5Ds shine at Weddings, portraits and Landscapes.

The 7D has the best auto focus system as it's the latest, but you can learn to make the 5Ds work to ur needs and strengths.

I would always prefer full frame.

Sarah I am selling a lens to a bloke at 5.30ish tonight in a pub in Tara street, I am bringing my 5D II so your more than willing to try it out? I will give you all the advice b4 your drink and forget it, I'm known as a motermouth who can release the book of Kells type info in less then 5 minutes. :cool:
The Long stone is the pub.

Also Sarah where are you buying from?
Online or a bricks and mortar shop?
If it's a shop Gunn's of Wexford street are a wee bit cheaper than elsewhere and their after service is top top.
I can also get a wee discount there too.

Incorrect Ian, the full frame cams have bigger sensors.

I meant having 2 sensors is not much use for video as the camera uses one at a time. 7D is full frame no?

The rebel ti thingy that I mention earlier is called the 550 this side of the world and my preference. Its a 7d in a shitty body.

I assumed Sarah was referring to the 5D mkII

7d is crop. Ure right about the tI been a 7D almost but it is abut more than that
of course, but for the price difference alone, I know what I'd prefer.

I'd hate to have been one of those poor fuckers who bought a 7D for 24p video and then they release the rebel for a fraction of the cost that shoots 24p natively and THEN release firmware for the mkII to shoot 24p.

So glad I waited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back