5D or 7D (2 Viewers)

of course, but for the price difference alone, I know what I'd prefer.

I'd hate to have been one of those poor fuckers who bought a 7D for 24p video and then they release the rebel for a fraction of the cost that shoots 24p natively and THEN release firmware for the mkII to shoot 24p.

So glad I waited.

aargh my head hurts. I was referring to 5D classic rather than Mark II
I thought part of the point of SLRS was the greater shooting speed compared to a normal point and shoot
I have the G10 which is great but can be pretty slow at times.... I think I just
need to try out the different cameras and make up my mind that way.

Thanks so much for all the advice anyhow, much food for thought... so just to check...no real difference between the xti and 7D really
autofocus and a couple of other features?

I think a lot of it will come down to the feel of it too, the lighter xti might feel more awkward with big ass
lenses attached, although less to lug around. although full frame...

aargh my head hurts. I was referring to 5D classic rather than Mark II
I thought part of the point of SLRS was the greater shooting speed compared to a normal point and shoot
I have the G10 which is great but can be pretty slow at times.... I think I just
need to try out the different cameras and make up my mind that way.

Thanks so much for all the advice anyhow, much food for thought... so just to check...no real difference between the xti and 7D really
autofocus and a couple of other features?

I think a lot of it will come down to the feel of it too, the lighter xti might feel more awkward with big ass
lenses attached, although less to lug around. although full frame...

Yeah, I copped that later...

Plenty of shootout comparisons online, there was a real interesting one (mostly about video) but he did look at the rebel & the 7D side by side. Had me sold anyway. For me its always been about lens's & the more money I have to spend on them, I'll take the compromises on the camera.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

my two cents...
5d classic is a great camera - unless you need those extra 9 million pixels for bus shelter ads id go for that above the mkii...i picked up for one with a battery grap for 1k second hand there a few months.
huge step up from aps-c cameras in terms of detail color depth etc. - it was the first time I saw results from a dslr that rivals med format film in that regard. (admittedly, im coming to the digital age somewhat later than many)
dont get too hung up on af speed unless your shooting sport/wildlife/riots.
get a 50mm 1.4 - sweet lens...

youve been getting great stuff on your g10 btw!

+1 for the 5D Mk1, there seem to be a lot floating around for between 900-1000euro.

The 7D is a good deal more expensive,(1600?) and if your choice of lens is limited if you are buying a bundle.

I would go for the 5D and get some nice (second hand) glass.

The 5D has a brighter/larger viewfinder too,doesn't really sound like a big deal, but it isnicer to shoot through and useful if you ever want to put old manual lenses onto your camera.

hope that helps

The 5D has a brighter/larger viewfinder too,doesn't really sound like a big deal, but it isnicer to shoot through and useful if you ever want to put old manual lenses onto your camera.

Indeed! I had left this out but coming from a crop frame Cam to a FF the viewfinder is so much larger and brighter (esp with fast lens)

my two cents...
5d classic is a great camera - unless you need those extra 9 million pixels for bus shelter ads id go for that above the mkii...i picked up for one with a battery grap for 1k second hand there a few months.
huge step up from aps-c cameras in terms of detail color depth etc. - it was the first time I saw results from a dslr that rivals med format film in that regard. (admittedly, im coming to the digital age somewhat later than many)
dont get too hung up on af speed unless your shooting sport/wildlife/riots.
get a 50mm 1.4 - sweet lens...

youve been getting great stuff on your g10 btw!

re G10 : Thanks Johnny!

Yeah this 5D second hand option with more money for lenses is sounding the most appealing.
I bought my old fuji s7000 on ebay and it's still totally fine but would be
slightly worried paying that much second hand. it's probably too old to have any sort of warranty still on it no?
hhmm shall look into it anyhow, fanks again!

5d classic is a great camera - unless you need those extra 9 million pixels for bus shelter ads .....

My head hurts from reading all this but I am thinking of trying to get a DSLR some time this year so bear with me ...

The 5D is full frame right?

The 7D isn't?

The 7D has more megapixels than the 5D?

There are a bunch of second hand 5D's in Conns for 999 at the moment ...

Yes to everything you said, dunno about Conn's.
Always try to haggle with them btw, be it price or length of warranty.
You should always check here too for good quality 2nd hand stuff. (my sale of a lens fell thru this morning because of a tiny white speck of dust in the lens!)
http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=196

Great now decisions are made I can get all worried about accidentally buying a flawed camera.
When buying my car I got really paranoid because I know nothing about them
no way of knowing who's trying to rip you off...

obviously not saying your man wasn't overly fussy but he obviously knew how to examine
a lens for any tiny little thing.

Happy choosing Hugh!

My head hurts from reading all this but I am thinking of trying to get a DSLR some time this year so bear with me ...

The 5D is full frame right?

The 7D isn't?

The 7D has more megapixels than the 5D?

There are a bunch of second hand 5D's in Conns for 999 at the moment ...

be sure to check the serial number of those 5d's in conns.
the smaller the number the older it is i think. theres no way of actually telling the shutter count of them.

Great now decisions are made I can get all worried about accidentally buying a flawed camera.
When buying my car I got really paranoid because I know nothing about them
no way of knowing who's trying to rip you off...

obviously not saying your man wasn't overly fussy but he obviously knew how to examine
a lens for any tiny little thing.

Happy choosing Hugh!

adverts.ie is a good spot - thats where I got my 5d.
a bit of a generalisation - be careful of buying stuff off pro's - cameras will generally have had a lot more use than with amateurs, although there more likely to have been cleaned/serviced.

moos and I had a very long and boring (for anyone standing next to us) drunken conversation over weekend,
alas I still can't decide nor really remember what was suggested.

I guess what I'm really wondering is: is full frame that spectacular or would it be ages before you really
noticed a need for it?

I find i'm very slow getting to grips with all the functions on cameras so it takes me a while to push anthing to where I notice
capabilities I want or shortcomings etc..

I think my final bit of drunken advice was to buy the best camera you can afford but lenses are way more important. Don't really know the cameras in question can't really give any relevant advice. My bro has one of the 5Ds and it's great.

Great bit of drunken advice there. My camera's a piece of shit, but I've a couple of nice pieces of glass and some stuff looks better than it should.

I have a question that has been bugging me about the crop factors.
Say you take a hypothethical image taken on a full frame with a 160MM lens. And then the same scene taken on a 1.6 crop camera with a 100MM lens. Same arpeture and shutter each time.
what are all the different ways the 2 images will be different?

So far I have come up with...

The depth of field will be shallower on the full frame

but not much else. Will the background be pulled toward the subject more in the full frame shot? Will there be perspective distortion on one that there won't be on the other. Will the 2 shouts be identically exposed?

Someone selling a 1DS Mk II on photography-ireland for 1000 euros ono. That's full frame and 16MP. So it's got a bunch more MPs than the 5D .. and would presumably be better-built as it's a pro camera .....

Someone answer Mormon's questions .. I want to know too. I have a vague idea that FF is always going to give you a better image because for each pixel in the image, a larger area of the sensor is being sampled .... isn't that right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back