26 years gone today. Take a moment... (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 56
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 5
I'd imagine it's pretty hard to not like guitar solos and like a band who is very,very heavy in them. Especially one so noted for it. To just like one seems bizarre at best.

If your favourite thing about Lizzy is the guitar solos, I'd say you're not much of a Lizzy fan. It's the whole package, the way the guitars play off each other, the riffs, the amazing melodies and lyrics, the whole sound is incredible. I can take or leave most guitar solos by most bands. Most of Lizzys are thankfully pretty deadly, i was just saying Cowboy Song was my favourite because it had one of the few solos in the world I actually genuinely look forward to hearing.

I never said the solos were the best bit,and it is a complete package,but it's a rare occurence where the sum of the parts is more than the individuals. Everything is as important as everything else.Take aways the riffs and it falls flat,take away the drumming it falls flat,take away the lyrics and it falls flat and yes,without the solos it would also fall flat. They are a huge huge part of the whole deal with Thin Lizzy.

I never said the solos were the best bit,and it is a complete package,but it's a rare occurence where the sum of the parts is more than the individuals. Everything is as important as everything else.Take aways the riffs and it falls flat,take away the drumming it falls flat,take away the lyrics and it falls flat and yes,without the solos it would also fall flat. They are a huge huge part of the whole deal with Thin Lizzy.

I agree with this, it's just if i was forced to identify a weak link it'd be the solos

Clearly you don't like Thin Lizzy.

I think we're pretty much arguing the same thing, but you would put more of an emphasis on the importance of the solos than I would. I'd have always thought the best thing about Lizzy's guitar playing was the interplay between the two guitars in terms of the riffs and rhythms. Obviously all the little harmonised lead lines and stuff are fucking brilliant too. Like you were saying though, take any element away though and it would fall flat. Lizzy have so much more going on than guitar solos that I think it's pretty unfair to be told you "clearly don't like" a band because you generally don't like solos in rock music.

I honestly believe that there are precious few solos in the world that genuinely add to the songs they are a part of. Ones that are as vital to the song as a verse or a chorus, that contain as much emotion and passion as the vocals and lyrics, that take the song to a place it could not go otherwise. Cowboy Song has one of these solos. That's all I was trying to say in my initial post.

Someone start a comprehensive list of songs with value-adding guitar solos thread, please.

Chill

1ad88bc74d0443bfac29800a290c2a76_7.jpg

I have had this song looping in my head for 48 hours now. I wish I had a drum kit. Drums are cool as fuck.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Unfortunately, the only certainties in life are
  • death
  • taxes
  • a jailbreak will happen somewhere in this town; and
  • it will happen tonight
Everything else is pure conjecture at this point.

The advice is to not be around, and if you're a woman then you'd be as well off to stay with a friend.

Surely now we can agree that the weak link (if there must be one) with Thin Lizzy is actually the lyrics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back