2009-2010 Championship Thread (1 Viewer)

Cryptid

Offline for a few weeks - I needs to get some work
Website
thecrocodilequarter.tumblr.com
It's going to be the best Championship season so far. So many big teams in it: Newcastle; Notts Forest; Middlesborough; Leicester; Sheffield Wednesday. Quality sides like Reading, Swansea and Preston NE. There's underperforming wealthy teams like Ipswich and QPR. Teams that struggled last year but expect to bouce back like Derby, Watford and Coventry.

Will Shearer keep drinking of the poisioned chalice? Southgate the first sacking? Iain Holloway back in management at Blackpool - should be interesting with Leicester and Plymouth Argyle in that league. Sousa back in a new suit at Swansea. Could we see David O'Leary back?

Tranfer window opens on Thursday. Forest have already made a £1 million signing (McGoldrick, striker from Southamton). Simon Cox, striker on his way to West Brom from League 1 side Swindon for £2 million plus (he got 32 goals last season). Bristol City have bought Clarkson, striker from Motherwell.

Scunthorpe, Barnsley and Blackpool are all favorites for relegation.

Full disclosure: I'm a QPR fan.

inside tip lads - put a sneaky tenner on Wednesday for the Play Offs.
They were finding their form in the 2nd half of last season and have added a few players since.
They have the backing of a good chairman and there is a buzz about the whole club.

Full Disclosure: I am a Sheffield Wednesday fan.

BBC 2 are going to have live Championship games. Pretty cool.
BBC announces live football dates

_45985114_ameobigetty226.jpg
Newcastle defeated West Brom 3-2 at the Hawthorns in February

The BBC's live coverage of the Championship campaign will start with Newcastle United's opening-day trip to West Bromwich Albion on 8 August.

The BBC will show 10 live Championship games during the 2009/10 season and has announced details of the first four.

The second will be Ipswich's home match against Newcastle on 26 September followed by Queens Park Rangers' trip to Derby on 24 October.

Cardiff's home match against Nottingham Forest on 1 November will also be live.

The match between the Baggies and Newcastle will be shown live on BBC One at 1730 BST.

Both clubs were relegated from the Premier League last season and then experienced managerial uncertainty.
o.gif

Tony Mowbray recently left West Brom for Scottish Premier League side Celtic but former Chelsea midfielder Roberto Di Matteo, who guided Milton Keynes Dons to the League One play-offs in May, has now taken over as head coach at the Hawthorns.

However, no firm decision has been made regarding the future of Alan Shearer at Newcastle.

Shearer was in charge of the Magpies for the final eight games of last season and held talks with owner Mike Ashley about extending his stay but no decision has been reached.

The Ipswich versus Newcastle also takes place at 1730 BST, although the channel has yet to be confirmed.

Derby against QPR starts at 1730 BST but will be shown on BBC Two, while Cardiff versus Forest will be shown on BBC One, kick-off 1400 GMT.

These matches will also be streamed live on this website (for UK users only) and all the goals from every game in the Football League, Carling Cup and Johnstone's Paint Trophy will be shown on the BBC website in the UK.

1 West Brom
2 Bristol City
3 Sheff Utd
4 Sheff Wed
5 Nottm Forest
6 QPR
7 Derby
8 Middlesbrough
9 Ipswich
10 Reading
11 Newcastle
12 Coventry
13 Blackpool
14 Plymouth
15 Leicester
16 Barnsley
17 Cardiff
18 Swansea
19 Preston
20 Watford
21 Crystal Palace
22 Scunthorpe
23 Doncaster
24 Peterborough

Very hard to guess how it will go. Newcastle definitely are up against it. Every team in the league is looking forward to playing them.

WBA
Sheff Utd
Boro
Cardiff
Preston
Ipswich
Reading
QPR

Newcastle somewhere near the bottom

Blackpool
Derby
Scunthorpe

Lot of money for a young South American chap who might not like it up him on a cold Tuesday night in Scunthorpe. At least we're spending some cash though.

And Mike Sheron is no longer our record signing!

Lot of money for a young South American chap who might not like it up him on a cold Tuesday night in Scunthorpe. At least we're spending some cash though.

And Mike Sheron is no longer our record signing!

can't help thinking there is a bit of spin going on with this transfer. No one was too excited about the guy before it was reported QPR paid 3.5 million for him. I wonder exactly how that payment is split. 500k then three million if QPR win the champions league? :)

Good to see a signing either way

7 days to go. Can't f-ing wait. QPR will slay. Slay. The assistant manager is the spit of Sean Connery, no?

557fe3f2-2120-40f9-a40f-428d530ef664.jpg

Newcastle for relegation at this stage? They've sold Martins too, who was a better player than Owen imho. Just when you think it can't get any worse for Newcastle, they do something like get thumped 6-1 by Leyton Orient. They need Ashley to get out asap. He couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Roy thinks Ipswich will go up. Bless. (Probably be eating my words). http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1786_5463584,00.html

West Brom seem to be buying very well, (probably) Odonkor from R. Betis, Reid from Rottherham. I think Di Matteo will be very good for them.

The BBC are doing a highlights show on Sat night after MOTD. Nice.

I doubt we'll slay to be honest, creep into the play-offs at best.

Forest are my dark horses, proven championship manager, bought a fair few players too. Dex will be the leagues top scorer and prove that Flavio is a tool.

The toon will either drop lik a stone or will have a solid season of mid-table boredom. Either way, fuck 'em.

Sheff Utd and Boro for automatic I reckon.

I doubt we'll slay to be honest, creep into the play-offs at best.

Forest are my dark horses, proven championship manager, bought a fair few players too. Dex will be the leagues top scorer and prove that Flavio is a tool.

The toon will either drop lik a stone or will have a solid season of mid-table boredom. Either way, fuck 'em.

Sheff Utd and Boro for automatic I reckon.

True re the slaying. Play offs would be deadly though.

Forrest are good, maybe they will achieve something. Selling Blackstock was probably a bad move alright. I think that one on one with the goalie, he'll score more often than not.

I don't rate Southgate at all tbh. I think Boro will continue to struggle under him.

Sheff Utd have sold two of their defenders, the two Kyles. Might find it difficult to plug that gap.

I think West Brom will boing back.

I have to admit, I kinda like Newcastle. They always had ambition in the Premiership. Obviously sacking Bobby Robson was unforgivably stupid, but you felt with Newcastle that they weren't there to make up the numbers, similar to Everton, Spurs, Villa etc. Nothing worse than the Bolton avoid-relegation mentality.

I don't care about Newcastle as a football club. It's the self-proclaimed 'greatest fans in the world' who get my back up. I remember going to Brentford with my dad when I was a kid and the geordies brought fuck all fans with them, the Sunderland fans were far more impressive.

The way they keep clamering for tools like Shearer and Keegan to be manager is utterly brilliant. Pricks the lot of 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back