2008 footie thing (1 Viewer)

Anthony

Supporter
Since 2000
Solutions
Website
www.themiddleagesband.com
I don't know what Ireland is complaining about. I mean, did they really think they had a hope in staging the cup?

Lets see:
Ireland/Scotland
• Two different Currencies
• Flights / sailing between countries
• Ireland = most expensive country in Europe
• First time bid
• No Stadia, political rows about "stadium"
• Crap public transport
• Crap roads
• etc....

forget about it lads

it's kinda indicative of the state of irelands infrastrcuture, amenities, roads, stadia etc... when Hungary and Cypruss/Greece
came ahead of ther Ireland/Scotland bid...

the scottish FA must be really pissed off with the FAI..and who coudl blame them

It's interesting that a lot of people think we let down the SFA. There is a strong argument that goes that the SFA were happy to go in with the FAI because if it wasn't successful they could blame the FAI. I think both parties were not up to scratch.
But in saying that, the whole process of decision making in UEFA is dubious. I mean, Austria and Hungary had a bid for Euro 2004, but that was rejected. When Blatter's home country makes a bid, it gets accepted. They could do a better job.... but then again, it's like exercise is better for you than drinking. The stadiums are smaller and the people are as boring as playing charades with your Aunties.
Fair enough, our roads are up shit-creek, and there was all that bollix about a National Stadium, but I think we would have done a great job of hosting the Euro Championship ...we should go for it again when the 2012 comes along. Croke Park should be available by then (and it is one of the best stadiums in Europe), and we might have a soccer stadium by then, so yeah... fuck it. We should go for it again....
UEFA are a bunch of cunts.

Originally posted by Knacker
but I think we would have done a great job of hosting the Euro Championship ...

how ?

Irelands only football stadium is a rugby stadium.

We only have one stadium.

As long as everyone persumes (including Bertie) that Croker will be available, the GAA will just say No...they, like the rest of us, don't like being told what to do.

it's not right to cut back government spending in areas such as health, education etc. to fund a stadium.

considering that approx. €300 million has already been spent on the bertie bowl and NOT 1 BRICK HAS BEEN LAID, how much will a REAL stadium cost ?

i would like to see a stadium in ireland, and i don't want to oversimplify things, but when women giving birth are turned away from hospitals and hospitals in the country are closign down due to cutbacks i think the priorities need to be reasessed.

it was a nice idea, and some thought the Scotland/Ireland bid was actually going to win, but you can't bid for the worlds second largest soccer event (and third largest sporting event) on the strength of 1 rugby pitch, 1 stadium whichwewilldefinitelyhonestly build and 1 stadium which doesnt want to know and doesnt need football (sure dont they have enough money) and expect to win.

whats next...formula 1 on the M50

PS : and if a stadium is ever built it shouldnt be in Dublin

theres more to ireland than dublin.

i think the word decentralize hasn't made it into the irish dictionary yet

Thing about is that the Irish/Scottish bid had the most capacity from it's stadiums. Croke Park will become available... and here's why:

The Gaelic Players Association want to open the doors of Croke Park. Most people playing GAA sports want it open for all sports. With the Cork players in both codes now having a strike, it will strengthen the influence of the GPA - it's clear that players now have a much more significant role to play in the future of the GAA. In fact, the government, whose only interest is votes, have pretty much acknowledged the sea-change in opinion with regards to the GAA. The influence of the heads in the GAA who oppose the opening up of Croke Park is seriously on the wain... people don't really support this ban both inside and outside the association. The upside of all this is that Croke Park should be open to other sports, if not by 2008, then certainly by 2012.

I don't think Ireland would have made a good account of itself if it was to host the 2008 championship, but I think the FAI and SFA could be in a good position to host the 2012 Championship. It'd be good to see Ireland and Scotland go for the 2012 Championship, because the opportunity is now there to get our houses in order. Regardless of what you might say about the infrastructure in Ireland (which is extraordinarily bad - two punctures in two days on me bike due to shitty roads), but our tourist industry is second-to-none. We should have something sorted out with our infrastructure by 2012.

it woulda been deadly having the european 2008here all the best palers in the world like zidane, petrescu, keane, henry, ronaldo, maldini, owen

i think they should build a stadium in cork

Originally posted by barry
it woulda been deadly having the european 2008here all the best palers in the world like zidane, petrescu, keane, henry, ronaldo, maldini, owen

well said young man!

Originally posted by barry

that's gold

best wind-up EVER!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back