1991 (3 Viewers)

Goat is by far the best Jesus Lizard LP but I never heard it until after the one with the painting of the cats came out in '92. Here Comes Dudley and Monkey Trick were the best JL songs.
I am not cool and only really got started buying records in '92.

the first two Carcass records are seminal but the 90's records never get near those two. a lot of 90's bands copied Carcass and blew away what Carcass did in the 90's.

Goat is by far the best Jesus Lizard LP but I never heard it until after the one with the painting of the cats came out in '92. Here Comes Dudley and Monkey Trick were the best JL songs.
I am not cool and only really got started buying records in '92.

the first two Carcass records are seminal but the 90's records never get near those two. a lot of 90's bands copied Carcass and blew away what Carcass did in the 90's.
I didn’t say Necrotism was seminal, just the second round. But it is a great album.

I only like death metal or grind when it's raw and noisy. to my ears Necrotism is sadly typical of a lot of second or third LP's from the early 90's extreme metal scene.
- followed a great debut by trying to make increasingly slick LP's and have a career.
never worked that I can think of.

I like Necrotism. The next one,not so much.

Sleep-volume 1
Slint-spiderland
Born Against-9 patriotic hymns
Citizens Arrest-colossus
Loads of Poison Idea
Treepeople-guily regret embarrassment
jawbox-grippe
Rocket From the Crypt-paint as a fragrance
Melvins-bullhead
Into Another-s/t
Jailcell Recipes-two years of toothache
Superchunk-no pocky for kitty
Nuisance-confusion hill
Harmony as One-white darkness
Drive-out freakage
Therapy?-babyteeth
Pleasant Valley Children-fuck kill destroy
Massacre-from beyond
Green Day-kerplunk

Looking quickly what I have on discogs,that's some I bought then and loved,there loads more though and loads of 7"s too.

Slint - Spiderland
Leatherface - Mush
Jesus Lizard - Goat

That’s all seminal shit right there.
I'll give you them, I have no time for any of them except Leatherface myself. Slint is a good call though, i'd forgotten that album, a career defining album in 1991, WHO'D HAVE THUNK IT

Each to their own. Seeing Corporal Jigsore Quandary on repeat on MTV was a cultural high-mark for me, about as 1991 as you can get.
well I just finished listening to Carcass' Necrotism... and it's good.
not as great as the first two LP's but it's got well done catchy tunes with less heavy production by Ian Tilton who normally worked with indie bands like The Membranes.
more of a gateway record than a full on classic.
I might never listen to it again but it was a pleasant enough way to spend 48 minutes.

Coil - Love’s Secret Domain (which I wanted to do for album club but Pete shot it down as it wasn’t on streaming so I picked a three hour ambient album by Nurse With Wound instead)

No offence, but if you started buying records in 1992 then you are not an "old school grinder"

(Yes, Thumped is for pricks)
Fair comment.
I like early raw grindcore and have hundreds of records in this vein. (i'd term raw grind 'old school')
I've repeatedly said over the years that I am not impressed with my own generation and prefer styles of music from 80's and before.
I mean 1981 was a much better year for popular music than 1991.
anyway a lot technical styles of rock (Relapse Records etc) that became to prominent in the 90's were a bit of anathema to me.

anyone interested in a grindcore thread?
I have a few records from 1991 in mind that I got to hear from 1993 onwards which are amazing...

Fair comment.
I like early raw grindcore and have hundreds of records in this vein. (i'd term raw grind 'old school')
I've repeatedly said over the years that I am not impressed with my own generation and prefer styles of music from 80's and before.
I mean 1981 was a much better year for popular music than 1991.
anyway a lot technical styles of rock (Relapse Records etc) that became to prominent in the 90's were a bit of anathema to me.

anyone interested in a grindcore thread?
I have a few records from 1991 in mind that I got to hear from 1993 onwards which are amazing...
I am with you on almost all of that! For me peak-metal ends around 1993 though.

yeah - Things went increasingly astray as the decade went on.
In 1993 there was a moment when the major's thought death metal was the next big thing and that along with black metal accidentally going overground, probably the end of the old school extreme metal heyday.
of course lots of bands never gave up playing this stuff and still do to this day

Listened to Goat again there... pound for pound the best JL album. Alas, the only one of the four Touch & Go Records I don't have on vinyl. Duane Dennison and Yow are on fire... MacNeilly... he lacked the brutal rage of Rey Washam but he was a sturdy mother nonetheless. Probably one of the ten best records of the 90s. In fact the comment that says "pretty sure this is one of the best albums of all time" might be closer to the mark.

Karpis followed by the bull hooley swagger of South Mouth...damn.

The next album Liar is pretty great too... Goat edges it though.

First time listening to Leatherface. Mush. Not bad.

Jesus, the actual list that was originally posted on this thread is laughable.

N
Listened to Goat again there... pound for pound the best JL album. Alas, the only one of the four Touch & Go Records I don't have on vinyl. Duane Dennison and Yow are on fire... MacNeilly... he lacked the brutal rage of Rey Washam but he was a sturdy mother nonetheless. Probably one of the ten best records of the 90s. In fact the comment that says "pretty sure this is one of the best albums of all time" might be closer to the mark.

Karpis followed by the bull hooley swagger of South Mouth...damn.

The next album Liar is pretty great too... Goat edges it though.

First time listening to Leatherface. Mush. Not bad.

Jesus, the actual list that was originally posted on this thread is laughable.
No mention of Davis Wm, Sims? He fucking OWNS Goat.

Yes, Liar is also a great great great record.

And Mush is a masterpiece, not "not bad". Stick with it. It's as good 30 years on as the day it arrived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back