1991 (3 Viewers)

Pearl Jam had a couple of pungent moments off Vitalogy and No Code... their "punk" phase. Last Exit is an amazing album opener. My brother got the Vitalogy tape for Xmas 94 [Tupelo Records in the mall], the detailed sleeve/booklet was pretty fascinating to me at 11. Go is a wretched album. And Ten... well, you've heard of guilty pleasures but a lot of it is plain awful. They were the Charlotte Gainesbourg of the early 90s alt scene.

My buddy told me recently when he saw Pearl Jam at some festival, Eddie Vedder dragged some guy out of the crowd to sing a song. Vedder was tied to the gills. Anyway, yer man was actually a really good singer, and Vedder sort of insisted on his guest drinking his bottle of Jack Daniels or whatever, and the guy visibly did not want to do this, increasingly being made uncomfortable by Vedder's insistence. Apparently Vedder alpha-maled the poor lad into taking a few schwigs which crowned the unbearable awkwardness of the whole charade. My friend was cringing his arse off looking at all this.

I played the 1991 alternative rock playlist off AppleMusic yesterday. 90% awful, EMF, The Farm, stuff like that. Walking Down Madison stood out, as did the Morrissey song and Straight To You by Nick Cave.

What did I expect from one of those playlists?

I played the 1991 alternative rock playlist off AppleMusic yesterday. 90% awful, EMF, The Farm, stuff like that. Walking Down Madison stood out, as did the Morrissey song and Straight To You by Nick Cave.

What did I expect from one of those playlists?
apart from Cave that was all standard chart music at the time.
EMF actually got to no.1 in the US w/ Unbelievable in early 1991.

BBC4 do two reruns of TOTP episodes on Friday nights. at the moment they are up to May 1991.
if you just listened to the top 40 then it's grim enough.

the type of things I associate w/ 1991 alt rock in 1991 would be -
N_____a, Dinosaur, Sonic Youth, Pixies, MBV, Fall, Fugazi, JAMC, Superchunk, Butthole Surfers, Mudhoney,
The Bad Seeds, Morrissey, REM, Julian Cope, Jane's Addiction, Ride, Soundgarden, Teenage Fanclub, Wedding Present, Lush, Primus, Throwing Muses, Swans, New FADS, Front 242, Ministry, Carter USM, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, and Madchester/baggy bands etc.

some of these bands were terrible even as a teen at the time. a few I still like.

big bands from the 80's were still around but I don't think New Order, Cure, Mission, Sisters of Mercy etc. released anything in 1991?

Siouxsie and the Banshees had their biggest US hit in 1991 with Kiss Them for Me, and I suppose the Cure had Friday I'm In Love in 1992, weird time for post-punk/goth bands from the fucking 1970s to be hitting their commercial peak. Any other examples of this from that time? The Clash finally getting a number 1 I guess, but that hardly counts.

Anyway, the best song from 1991 was by the Manics, @chris d agrees even if the rest of you don't. Sean "Ryder" Moore on drums in the video there

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'd love to know how much money Martin Coogan has made from the mock turtles - can you dig it?
It's been used in loads of ads over the years. Must be a nice little earner.

I'll never find out.

Last edited:
there was a documentary about women rock musicians on BBC4 in the 2010's.
Miki Berenyi was one of main talking heads (she worked at BBC for years).
so she talked about this particular song where on the Lollapalooza tour in 1992 she got a lot of harassment from Anthony Keidis.
she also said Alex from Blur (who she said was still a close friend) bit her on the arse on a night out.

90s Miki Berenyi deserves a permanent place in the horn thread.

Not the worst band... I picked up their cd for about 20p in a charity shop recently.

I prefer them before the britpop makeover.
Emma Anderson also deserves a place.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The drummer from Lush was in A Touch of Hysteria,a great early 80's anarcho band,and then later in Hard Skin.
Lush also coveted Zounds. I wonder did any of the others have any punk connections

The drummer from Lush was in A Touch of Hysteria,a great early 80's anarcho band,and then later in Hard Skin.
Lush also coveted Zounds. I wonder did any of the others have any punk connections
yeah - Chris Acland was from North Lancs. he became friends with Sean Forbes through putting on punk/HC gigs there according to Sean.
I never heard A Touch Of Hysteria until now but knew the name. cheers Gary, they are brilliant.
I didn't know Chris was in Hard Skin.
Sean wrote about going to see Discharge with Chris in their speed metal phase about 30 years ago, which made them both laugh.
I learned this in the liner notes for an indie pop history CD Sean helped compile for Rough Trade (shops) which Lush was on.

Tom-Petty-Into-The-Great-Wide-Open.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back