11th December: Groom, Land Lovers, The Former Soviet Republic @ The Lower Deck (1 Viewer)

Moods For Mallards

Groom and Land Lovers present:

• Groom
  • Land Lovers
  • The Former Soviet Republic
A night of self-presentation in the bowels of the Lower Deck, Portobello on Thursday, 11th December.
It's not quite Christmas, yet it's not unlike Christmas.
They will charge 7 euro at the door.
The doors will be opened at 8:30PM.

PosterGroomLL111208.jpg

Here is some information on the persons involved:

l_437a693e4f9d42a6ae3b0e56f6c40a71.jpg

GROOM began life in 2004 in Dublin, arising out of the ashes of alt-folk band Settler. Starting off as an electro-folk two piece centred around the songwriting of Michael Stevens, they played some intimate gigs in Ireland’s capital, and shared a stage with Deanna Varagona (LAMBCHOP). Having released a short experimental album, Stitch, GROOM soon expanded into a four piece and began to explore synth-folk-rock territory. They played this particular brand of indie folk-pop around Ireland in late 2005, made some appearances on various compilations, and even released a Christmas single. 2006 saw the release of GROOM’s first album proper, All This Happened, More Or Less on Fairview House Recordings. The record was well-received all round and got GROOM some supports with Jawbone, Jeff Tweedy (WILCO), Suburban Kids With Biblical Names, Evangelicals and Viking Moses.

GROOM are Michael Stevens (guitar, vocals, synths), Jeroen Saegeman (guitar, melodica, keyboards), Wil McDermott (bass, synths), Brian O’Higgins (drums), and Ruan Van Vliet (drums, percussion, synth, autoharp).

http://www.myspace.com/groomtheband

glasses.jpg

Land Lovers come from a bedroom, where an album of smartass pop was recorded in solitary confinement over the winter of '07/'08. Bursting out into springtime with the finished item flaunted proudly, founding myopic Pádraig Cooney coerced Brian Lynch, Rob Maguire and Ciarán Canavan into an arrangement whereby the four would play the recorded songs together before progressing to a satisfactory future making new and wonderful music in public. "Romance Romance" was released in September, and received its fair share of critical acclaim (mode rating: 4 stars). The band have attracted large and growing attendances to their Dublin shows. A 5-to-7 song EP is scheduled for early '09. Although they are entirely original, Land Lovers will not object to comparisons with Elvis Costello & The Attractions, The Magnetic Fields, Guided By Voices, Luke Haines, Wolf Parade or anyone else really.

myspace.com/landlovers

Finally:

The Former Soviet Republic is not a band but rather one person. That person plays guitar and bass and synths and hamonicas and recorders and glockenspiels and whatever else he buys on a whim when he's in music shops. He's also trying to learn how to programs stuff on computers, he's failing; there's this weird optical theremin yoke that some friends of his made too. He sings. He doesn't do all these things at once, that would be ridiculous. But thanks to a loop station he can play more than one thing at the same time without resorting to tying a bass drum to his back and cymbals between his knees. He sometimes likes the noise that he makes. He'll also cut you if you look at him sideways. He doesn't like talking about himself so he keeps it vague. He gets annoyed when other people refer to themsleves in the third person but he's a bit of a hypocrite about it when it comes to himself.

myspace.com/theformersovietrepublic

Seen Groom play tonight upstairs in Whelans supporting a load of hot chicks and a lad with a delay pedal,who I enjoyed(especially the foxy lady on moog!)..
But I went to see Groom cos I know their bass player from ye olden times(17ish years since I clapped lamps on his fizog) and know he's a dude.and I was fucking GOBSMACKED.
Yer man Michael is a class act.
Some songsmith.
And the band are pure deadly.
I'm a fan.

Reminded me a bit of Bob Wyatt finely blended with a dash of Ray Davies and a load of some magic ingredient I had'nt tasted before.

Gary

Oh Oh,just woke up, late for work!

Thats why I don't go out on a Monday.

Ended up drinking a bottle of wine when I got home.
'Tard.

I went out to put up posters last night but I ended up in a hospital. Tonight, I'll accomplish the task. Don't worry, Groomers - the people will know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back