€15 to see the Revs? Thats a bit steep. (1 Viewer)

Trisky

Website
Visit site
I am not a Revs fan so this may come off as a little biased, but I saw a poster for the Revs Whelans gig the other day and it was advertising tickets at €15. This seems extortionate to me. They are a band that have only just started and have one album and a couple of (dreadful) singles to their name. I think they are charging to much for a band still in their infancy. Anyone agree?

abso-fucking-lutely

they should be paying people to come to their seedy cabaret affairs, and not t'other way round

while we were recording last week robert stevenson came in for a chat with the owner of the studio.
he said he'd heard of us and we sat down for a cup of tea and a chat, we thought i't be a laugh.
the man is so far up his own arse its unbelievable. some choice quotes:
'treasure island now represents the best ever chance for an irish independent record label, ever'
'the country has room for another 10 bands like the revs'
'to launch a band properly in ireland you need to spend at least £250000.'
'in five years treasure island will be the most profitable record label in ireland...'

he also said unflattering things about the dublin scene, dublin bands, arty bands, and said 'i mean, faack' about a million times.

we went from sniggering, to very bored very quickly.

ii'm not tryin to start an arguement here, i know some people like him/respect him/admire him here (you know who you are) but i mean faaack!!!

not just you egg, i've talked to other thumpedfolk who have similar opinions. it was actually what you said that made us stay for the chat.

i don't think he's a prick (he gave us a lift somewhere) but i do think he's up his own arse.

he said he liked the cd's and when the revs 'take off' a bit more he'll have the time and money to sign some more bands and he's like to watch us and possibly sign us. goodie. he spent a bit of time trying to give constructive criticism, which was nice of him, but we couldn't help thinking he wasn't telling us what could be better, he was showing off how much he knows about music as a result of being a 'svengali'.

I had dealings with him in me last band, he's an odd one to say the least, about 50% of what he say is bollix, but the other 50% is quite good advice, he does have experience BUT he is trying to make a living so he will do everything he can to make a quick buck, so €15 for a gig in Whelan's is his style, because I'll tell you this, the revs won't see half of that cash. Also if you look the Revs first album was a live one, a very good way to keep costs down and still make a lot of profit, bewarned keep an eye on him.

Who is this Robert Stephenson fella? His name has been in my phone for ages now, and I can't remember when or where it came from. Did he/ Does he have anything to do with Paddy Casey or Sony or A&R or anything? I honestly don't have a clue who he is, but feel that for some reason I should remember...

Personnally I'd stay well clear of anyone who has anything to do with the revs. I wouldn't even have talked to the prick. Anything he has to offer isn't anything you want.

Theres alway room for more bands like the revs. Theres always loads of room for shit..it fits anywhere

Agreed, spouting heaps of shite won't make you friends, in any circles. But the man must be respected for the work he's done thus far - Not only has he pushed the profile of the revs guys to saturation point here, and marketed them (with the help of real professionals) abroad - but he's managed to keep it relatively pure also (no snide jokes pls) - I havent seen any of the revs guys drunk/coked/lamped yet, and by all accounts theyre relative humble chaps.

So,
1. Agree- 15 blips is too much
2. Agree- A head up its own ass will spout shit
3. Fair play to him but.

Ps. I abhor the revs music. No biggie.

Stephenson will tell you what songs you can release as singles, make you do commercial things like cover "Turning Japanese" to cash in on the world cup and he'll have you play at Blast every other week. !bog

Sounds like Business to me. Use your blast thing to force fed a band to "th kids" then when they're big sell them to mcd and laugh all the way to the bank

Originally posted by sparse-icus
I had dealings with him in me last band, he's an odd one to say the least,
bewarned keep an eye on him.

was this before or after he videotaped you with your top off, DC?

i don't know the man, but all i've ever heard about him is bad

Originally posted by Trisky
I am not a Revs fan so this may come off as a little biased, but I saw a poster for the Revs Whelans gig the other day and it was advertising tickets at €15. This seems extortionate to me. They are a band that have only just started and have one album and a couple of (dreadful) singles to their name. I think they are charging to much for a band still in their infancy. Anyone agree?

in all fairness, the strokes were a band who'd just started and had only one album and a couple of (dreadful) singles to their name when they played the music centre last year, but there wasnt much uproar about them charging whatever it was they charged (for the sake of my argument, please no one tell me if was £5 or something small). I don't think it's a question of a band being new, it's more a question of popularity. If you're popular you charge more, and the Revs are quite popular with the young folk...

The sad sad thing is, is that there are people out there who are WILLING to pay 15bats to see The Fucking Revs (Their real name)...
It's only an issue on this board because they are young, Irish and playing underground "style" music... Paul Simon is three times more expencive as would Blink 182, sum41, tit247 or any other similar band from usa...
They are mCd's bum boys, what do you expect...

TREASURE ISLAND RECORDS will NEVER be successful..
Why ?
Because no other "owner" of a record label in Ireland has to time or energy to constantly attemp to start e-mail based arguements with me.. thus I conclude that they must be busy actually doing something as opposed to just talking shite.

http://www.blast.ie - his website,no mention of any other bands on it anymore just the Revs.

plus TresureIsland ruined woodrow .. once a great band .. in my neighborhood.

actually i remember my friend telling me about a story that happened to his brother while his brother wa swaiting outside ambassador theathre before a revs show

there were these 14 year old girls saying outside that they love the revs then the drummer just can walk striaght by wihtout any of those damn 14 year olds realising he's the drummer of the band

and then my friends brother is talking to him and a scalper comes up to the drummer asking the drummer does he want a ticket for the show. the drummer replies "no i'm in the band"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back