Martin Hayes & Dennis Cahill / Andy Irvine & Dónal Lunny - this week in Whelan's (1 Viewer)

Foggy

Foggy Folk presents some real legends of folk & trad this week in Whelan's

Foggy Folk series presents
Martin Hayes & Dennis Cahill

Whelan’s. Wed Nov 4th. 7.30pm

Tickets: www.tickets.ie, WAV, City Discs, Road Records & Tickmaster outlets nationwide

"A Celtic complement to Steve Reich’s quartets or Miles Davis’ ‘Sketches of Spain.’" – The New York Times

Irish fiddle virtuoso Martin Hayes and American guitarist Dennis Cahill possess a rare musical kinship, ranking them among the most memorable partnerships of our era. Together they have garnered international renown for taking traditional music to the very edge of the genre, holding listeners spellbound with their slow-building, fiery performances. Martin Hayes has been an All-Ireland fiddle champion six times over; he was awarded the prestigious 2008 Musician of the Year award from Ireland’s TG4, Irish language television, and recently led a group of fellow musicians to sold out performances at the Sydney Opera House in his role as artistic director of The Masters of Tradition.

Dennis Cahill is a master guitarist, whose innovative accompaniment is acknowledged as being a major breakthrough for guitar in the Irish tradition.

“If your live music rations were limited to a single concert in the entire year, then you'd be either crazy or foolish if you didn't pass that precious time in the company of Martin Hayes and Dennis Cahill.” – The Irish Times

Foggy Folk series presents
Andy Irvine & Donal Lunny’s MOZAIK

Whelan’s. Thurs Nov 5th. 7.30pm

Tickets: www.tickets.ie, WAV, City Discs, Road Records & Tickmaster outlets nationwide

Featuring Andy Irvine, Donal Lunny, Nikola Parov, Bruce Molsky & Rens van der Zalm

First envisaged by venerable vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Andy Irvine (Planxty, Sweeney’s Men, Patrick Street), Mozaik is the ultimate global string band- a truly international ensemble who can not only perform music from a wide array of cultures, but interweave their myriad influences into an entirely new sound. Mozaik moves effortlessly from Celtic to old-time to Eastern European music, with intricate string arrangements complementing Andy and Bruce's vocals.
The line-up boasts musicians as versatile and eclectic as the music created between them, whose traditions and styles are distinct yet blend beautifully to form a cohesive work of art. Long time fans from Irvine's Planxty days will be aware that he has been experimenting with Eastern European melodies and rhythms for a long time now, which is a style he incorporates magnificently into this band.

“This was glorious music that raised spirits, roofs and not a few pulses along the way. Yet another magnificent musical detour that unleashed our imaginations and our energies, free to roam where passports and language barriers hold no sway.” - The Irish Times

been looking forward to these gigs for ages.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Who played with the Dirty Three?

Going to Hayes/Cahill. Never fail to be amazing. Caught Mozaik before and they are great too, but otherwise engaged that night.

it crossed our minds to have artists like the Spook, Eoin Dillon, The Hounds play at these shows but both Mozaik and Hayes & Cahill play long sets with an interval so it didn't work out this time

The Spuke should be supporting Mozaik, that would be great. :)

Martin Hayes & Dennis Cahill
Whelan's, tonight Wed Nov 4th
doors 7.30pm
limited number of tickets still available

I want to go but I can't get anyone to go with me. I'm not one of those go to gigs on my own people.

Ah Cormac! you're not missing Andy Irvine again! I'll be there at 8 hopefully. I'm guessing it'll be the same as last night and the gig will start at 8.30 on the dot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back