Whats the story with Tesco's? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 82
  • Views 14K
  • Watchers 4
boycotting tescos is a pile of bullshit, they're just an easy target. at least everyone knows where their products come from.
it's easy to boycott tesco because what they carry can be bought somewhere else. whereas something that's oh my god, so good, but only comes from dodgy sources.....boycotting that would be a bit extremist, eh?
yeah. I used to boycott almost everywhere but then I got too poor. hunger before principles!

i used to care but then i realised it meant nothing, now i step happily onwards in the relentless deathmarch of humanity.

Tesco Ireland make an estimated 9.5% profit margin, compared to a 6% margin for Tesco UK. The price reductions will hurt nobody but the Irish suppliers (especially the smaller guys) who will take practically the entire hit.

They are changing their "planograms" and replacing lot of Irish brands with similar British products which are cheaper to source. It may seem great for the consumer's pockets, but is ultimately very bad news for the economy..

Its all here, but reading it possibly falls into the lifes too short lane

http://www.shelflife.ie/article.aspx?id=689

Tesco rolls out its Change for Good in the capital while more reports arise of dropped Irish lines and the company admits to cutting 3,000 'slow sellers'
Jul 8 2009

news1.jpg
CEO Tony Keohane says 40% to 50% of Tesco sales are of Irish products “depending on the season,” while a company spokesperson revealed 3,000 lines of Irish suppliers have been removed

Tesco Ireland has extended its Change for Good price cuts programme to nine stores across north Dublin.
All of Dublin's 29 stores will also be converted to the Change for Good planograms which source international product directly from the UK, by mid-July.

The nationwide roll out meanwhile, involving a Tesco investment of more than €100 million, will be completed in August.
The latest conversions bring the number of Change for Good stores to 31, including outlets along the border and in the west also.

Tesco claims the programme has delivered price reductions at an average of 22% across 12,500 products, which has led to an additional 25,000 customers visiting stores each week.

The group has estimated that €50 million less will be spent in the north this year as a result of price-cutting at the border stores alone. Tesco expects this figure to rise to €200 million when the nationwide roll out is complete, which it says is "good for Ireland and our suppliers."

CEO Tony Keohane insisted Tesco is "committed to selling Irish products that customers want," and that, "depending on the season, 40% to 50% of sales are of Irish products." However The Irish Times subsequently reported that 350 Irish products have been removed from Tesco's shelves since the programme began.

A Tesco spokesperson said 3,000 "slow sellers" were removed to make way for 7,000 new products, many of them sourced directly from the UK rather than through local distributors. Some 2,000 of the removed items were international products and 700 were own-brand items.

About 70 of these 350 Irish products have since been put back on shelves in response to consumer demand and other factors, he added.

i used to care but then i realised it meant nothing, now i step happily onwards in the relentless deathmarch of humanity.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to nooly again.

Now you're talking my language.:)

Money aside its the effects of it. Do you not get a 2 day hangover from that stuff?

I was only taking the piss about you being rich:p,sure for I know you could be a pauper like meself.

But to your question.No.Sure its only like having 6 cans.

Tesco Ireland make an estimated 9.5% profit margin, compared to a 6% margin for Tesco UK. The price reductions will hurt nobody but the Irish suppliers (especially the smaller guys) who will take practically the entire hit.

They are changing their "planograms" and replacing lot of Irish brands with similar British products which are cheaper to source. It may seem great for the consumer's pockets, but is ultimately very bad news for the economy..

Its all here, but reading it possibly falls into the lifes too short lane

http://www.shelflife.ie/article.aspx?id=689

Tesco rolls out its Change for Good in the capital while more reports arise of dropped Irish lines and the company admits to cutting 3,000 'slow sellers'
Jul 8 2009

news1.jpg
CEO Tony Keohane says 40% to 50% of Tesco sales are of Irish products “depending on the season,” while a company spokesperson revealed 3,000 lines of Irish suppliers have been removed

Tesco Ireland has extended its Change for Good price cuts programme to nine stores across north Dublin.
All of Dublin's 29 stores will also be converted to the Change for Good planograms which source international product directly from the UK, by mid-July.

The nationwide roll out meanwhile, involving a Tesco investment of more than €100 million, will be completed in August.
The latest conversions bring the number of Change for Good stores to 31, including outlets along the border and in the west also.

Tesco claims the programme has delivered price reductions at an average of 22% across 12,500 products, which has led to an additional 25,000 customers visiting stores each week.

The group has estimated that €50 million less will be spent in the north this year as a result of price-cutting at the border stores alone. Tesco expects this figure to rise to €200 million when the nationwide roll out is complete, which it says is "good for Ireland and our suppliers."

CEO Tony Keohane insisted Tesco is "committed to selling Irish products that customers want," and that, "depending on the season, 40% to 50% of sales are of Irish products." However The Irish Times subsequently reported that 350 Irish products have been removed from Tesco's shelves since the programme began.

A Tesco spokesperson said 3,000 "slow sellers" were removed to make way for 7,000 new products, many of them sourced directly from the UK rather than through local distributors. Some 2,000 of the removed items were international products and 700 were own-brand items.

About 70 of these 350 Irish products have since been put back on shelves in response to consumer demand and other factors, he added.
that's all terrible but it's a recession......not sure exactly what people were expecting to happen
i'm not an economist but i know recession = dropped employment, dropped standard of living, wages all fucked...so are people meant to shell out on irish food that costs more just to buoy up the economy? i think people are more concerned with buoying up their own fridge stocks seeing as that's where they actually eat out of.

Tesco are basically a massive, ugly rapist and this Change for Good programme is like a slightly less abrasive lubricant.

that's all terrible but it's a recession......not sure exactly what people were expecting to happen
i'm not an economist but i know recession = dropped employment, dropped standard of living, wages all fucked...so are people meant to shell out on irish food that costs more just to buoy up the economy? i think people are more concerned with buoying up their own fridge stocks seeing as that's where they actually eat out of.

Totally agree, especially those who have lost their jobs, have young families etc. But still, we often hear people giving out about being ripped off by Irish producers, when its the big retailers making ALL the money...

I'd suggest trying Aldi rather than Tesco, as they are beginning to source lots of Irish brands (over 40% now) and don't treat their suppliers so abysmally..

Tesco are basically a massive, ugly rapist and this Change for Good programme is like a slightly less abrasive lubricant.
I suspect that might be whats called telling it like it is.

But I love cheap grub.

Totally agree, especially those who have lost their jobs, have young families etc. But still, we often hear people giving out about being ripped off by Irish producers, when its the big retailers making ALL the money...

I'd suggest trying Aldi rather than Tesco, as they are beginning to source lots of Irish brands (over 40% now) and don't treat their suppliers so abysmally..

Oh,I'm an Aldi man,sure I even buy me computers off them.And they stock the nicest lagers(Ottinger-€6.49 for 6 cans,Brassiere-€5 odd for 10 ittle bottles,14 of which will have you on your back).

But €3.49 for a 3'y of cider in Tesco.Thats incredible.Srsly.

Thats a buzz that won't break the bank.

It's all about the Lidl beers, six of them 500ml bottles of sumfinkberg pils for a fiver, can't go wrong.

It's all about the Lidl beers, six of them 500ml bottles of sumfinkberg pils for a fiver, can't go wrong.

I overdid it on Lidls Grafenwalder pilsner in the can and that bottled one yer going on about when they first came out.I was drinking them every night.

Same thing hasn't happened with Aldis beer though.

Mind you that Galahad shite is manky and they dropped it from 4.1 to 3.8 abv.My auld dear used to drink it until one morning we were having a few cans and she produced the Galahad and I pointed out the 3.8ness of it.Nearly swallowed her fag.Swears by lidls gargle now.

oh man just wait until broken arm gets home and sees this

what can I say?

should I celebrate their £3 billion annual profits (on the backs of bankrupted small businesses and screwed over farmers) by putting my hard earned cash in their till?

mind you, I have to remain positive on the potential they could have if they copped themselves on. Even Walmart are making changes for the better.

phew, that was brief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back