Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (1 Viewer)

Andy Murray is grand and all, but this shite coverage can fuck right off. The man's not dead like.

Posh English crowds are so bad at atmosphere.

Ukraine's Yaroslava Mahuchikh (b. 2001) jumped 2 m 10 cm to beat Stefka Kotadinova's 37 year old world record in Paris Diamond League 7-7-2024.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

History of old record - Commentary and music are a bit annoying here:

Kostadinova (b. 1965) was easily best best high jumper ever but she bollocksed up at the Olympics. It took her three Olympics to finally win gold in Athens - a year after she had a baby.

also at Paris meet Faith Kipyegon set 1500 metres WR. times in race were insane fast - both Sarah Healy and Ciara Mageean ran sub 4 mins. and were 7th and 10th!

Really enjoyed watching Cork beat Limerick.
JP McManus can fuck off.
its usually hard to watch Cork winning at anything, but this one was a no-brainer. And they should have won by more.

I'm pissed off now that Kilkenny fucked it away against Clare. Obviously they were mauled in the second half and the result was more than justified. But not making hay when dominating in the first half really came back to bite them in the balls.

Clare at their best are better than Cork imo. Certainly their backs will be sticky as hell, unlike Limerick who played very fast and loose. The problem with Clare is that they haven't put a good 70-minute performance together all year. For that reason I'd fear for them. If Cork have a period of dominance similar to Kilkenny had, they will destroy them. Their forwards are far more clinical, fast and energetic.

Bookies are favouring Cork. I'm going to slightly give the nod to Clare. They had such a mental block with Limerick and shit the bed against them twice this year. But they will have no fear of Cork. Cork are some hoors for getting carried away. Listening to some of them now you'd think they just have to turn up to win.

But they're a nice team and their manager is a gent. I would not begrudge them at all. On the other hand, Lohan is a snarky prick who has instilled a small bit of nastiness into his backs (just like how he played himself).

I hope Cork win, but I think Clare will shade it.

its usually hard to watch Cork winning at anything, but this one was a no-brainer. And they should have won by more.

I'm pissed off now that Kilkenny fucked it away against Clare. Obviously they were mauled in the second half and the result was more than justified. But not making hay when dominating in the first half really came back to bite them in the balls.

Clare at their best are better than Cork imo. Certainly their backs will be sticky as hell, unlike Limerick who played very fast and loose. The problem with Clare is that they haven't put a good 70-minute performance together all year. For that reason I'd fear for them. If Cork have a period of dominance similar to Kilkenny had, they will destroy them. Their forwards are far more clinical, fast and energetic.

Bookies are favouring Cork. I'm going to slightly give the nod to Clare. They had such a mental block with Limerick and shit the bed against them twice this year. But they will have no fear of Cork. Cork are some hoors for getting carried away. Listening to some of them now you'd think they just have to turn up to win.

But they're a nice team and their manager is a gent. I would not begrudge them at all. On the other hand, Lohan is a snarky prick who has instilled a small bit of nastiness into his backs (just like how he played himself).

I hope Cork win, but I think Clare will shade it.
I think Clare have been most consistently strong team in 2024. I was out Saturday and didn't see Clare v Kilkenny live.

I think Clare have been most consistently strong team in 2024. I was out Saturday and didn't see Clare v Kilkenny live.
really?

they have been so lukewarm. Even Waterford should have beaten them.

I thought they went far too hard in the league and would pay the price for that later. They definitely petered out a bit over the course of Munster, but had enough to get into the final. And they were dismal in the final.

Their most complete performance this year was the league final, but still only scraped past Kilkenny.

On saturday they were non-existent in the first half and the game could (and probably should) have been out of reach. Its a dangerous game they play.

but at their best no one can touch them. It just depends what Clare decides to turn up for the final. I expect it'll be their best performance yet.

really?

they have been so lukewarm. Even Waterford should have beaten them.

I thought they went far too hard in the league and would pay the price for that later. They definitely petered out a bit over the course of Munster, but had enough to get into the final. And they were dismal in the final.

Their most complete performance this year was the league final, but still only scraped past Kilkenny.

On saturday they were non-existent in the first half and the game could (and probably should) have been out of reach. Its a dangerous game they play.

but at their best no one can touch them. It just depends what Clare decides to turn up for the final. I expect it'll be their best performance yet.
OK. Cork were shit against Tipp! And we are usually shit.
I am probably biased

OK. Cork were shit against Tipp! And we are usually shit.
I am probably biased
Cork were shit until the Limerick game in Munster. They could easily have gone out but other results worked in their favour. They were building nicely though and looked like they could be serious contenders for the All-Ireland once they got that 3rd place spot.

Its either serious season management by Cork, or else a bit of a fluke. But no doubting their quality at this moment, right when it matters.

Does anyone know if there are sports matches that would typically be shown in a pub on Thursdays in Sept/Oct? Trying to convince my local to give Stoat a gig, and it's not going to work if they want to be showing sports

Does anyone know if there are sports matches that would typically be shown in a pub on Thursdays in Sept/Oct? Trying to convince my local to give Stoat a gig, and it's not going to work if they want to be showing sports

When are the 2024/25 Champions League League stage matches?

Matchday 1: 17–19 September 2024
Matchday 2: 1/2 October 2024
Matchday 3: 22/23 October 2024
Matchday 4: 5/6 November 2024
Matchday 5: 26/27 November 2024
Matchday 6: 10/11 December 2024
Matchday 7: 21/22 January 2025
Matchday 8: 29 January 2025

Yeah, there is likely to be Europa League and Europa conference league soccer on pretty much every second Thursday for a few months. If you check the schedule for the competitions you'll know what the off weeks are. There is also an international soccer break at the start of September so there might be matches on that night too.

Yeah, there is likely to be Europa League and Europa conference league soccer on pretty much every second Thursday for a few months. If you check the schedule for the competitions you'll know what the off weeks are. There is also an international soccer break at the start of September so there might be matches on that night too.

See rettucs' post above, the CL fixtures are Tuesday and Wednesday, the EL fixtures are on the Thursdays.

There is also the early rounds of the English league cup which might be televised.

In the pub last night waiting to play, and the England vs Netherlands match was on. 1-1 and England score in the last minute and the whole pub groans ... except for the musicians, who are all going "thank fuck or we'd be stuck here for another 40 mins waiting for extra time and penalties"

Dundalk 4-2 Drogheda in bottom of the table derby.
Some Drogs fans started fights on pitch after the match. Awful nonsense - this kind of crap hasn't happened for a long time?

Despite Sligo having a player sent off after 38 mins. They beat Bohs 2-0 at Dalymount. Sligo had 2 shots on target. Bohs had 10 from 27 attempts.
Second goal in 96 min scored is scored from Sligo's half

Dundalk 4-2 Drogheda in bottom of the table derby.
Some Drogs fans started fights on pitch after the match. Awful nonsense - this kind of crap hasn't happened for a long time?

Despite Sligo having a player sent off after 38 mins. They beat Bohs 2-0 at Dalymount. Sligo had 2 shots on target. Bohs had 10 from 27 attempts.
Second goal in 96 min scored is scored from Sligo's half

That second goal isn't the keeper's fault, it's the no.7's fault for hitting that utterly utterly shit free kick

First goal was basically the keeper's fault though haha

Red card was never a red, it's for second yellow but that was never a yellow card, simply a free kick

I dipped in and out of the Hurling yesterday on the radio and TV. Very exciting stuff.

I think I might watch next weekend's football final. Maybe even in a pub.
Great match. Clare should have won in normal time. Silly idea to play extra time. Have a replay next time.

Marty Morrissey on news just now with Brian Lohan in back Shannon (town). Pure delighted he was, like.

While Israeli athletes are going to the Paris Olympics, women wearing the Hajib are not because of French laws.
Amnesty will tell ya:
At the 2002 Coupe de France Final, Breton and Corsican fans exercised "freedom of expression" and jeered the French national anthem.

President Jacques Chirac (dead crook) threw a hissy tantrum and delayed the match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back