Going rate for a wedding present (3 Viewers)

• Thread starter egg_
  • Start date
  • Replies 19
  • Views 419
  • Watchers 2

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
A first cousin is getting married. I have a zillion first cousins, he's probably 20 years younger than me and I don't think I've spoken to him face-to-face since he was a little kid. Got invited to the wedding probably because he's the youngest of the cousins, and it might be the last opportunity for a big extended-family party that's not a funeral

Don't know him well enough to know what to buy him as a wedding present, so it'll have to be cash. Myself and Mrs. egg_ are going. How much do yiz reckon?

On My nephew and his fiance's wedding website I saw that they have set up a shopping list with some department store, makes it somewhat convenient for buying stuff, but I'm still not sure what price range to pick from. I also have to do an visa interview and fly to texas to attend this wedding. I better get a suit too I suppose, a real stylish one. I got a suit for my graduation in 1999 and I've worn it to every interview and funeral since then. Does anyone have good suit-buying tips? Get it here or wait til I get to the shtates and get one with boots and a hat?

On My nephew and his fiance's wedding website I saw that they have set up a shopping list with some department store, makes it somewhat convenient for buying stuff, but I'm still not sure what price range to pick from. I also have to do an visa interview and fly to texas to attend this wedding. I better get a suit too I suppose, a real stylish one. I got a suit for my graduation in 1999 and I've worn it to every interview and funeral since then. Does anyone have good suit-buying tips? Get it here or wait til I get to the shtates and get one with boots and a hat?
Men's Wearhouse will either sell or rent you a suit and they are pretty much everywhere or will deliver to anywhere

Brooks Brothers will also help you out. A little bump in the $$ though.

They'll do whatever you need. Just make sure you know your fit and sizes etc.

On My nephew and his fiance's wedding website I saw that they have set up a shopping list with some department store, makes it somewhat convenient for buying stuff, but I'm still not sure what price range to pick from. I also have to do an visa interview and fly to texas to attend this wedding. I better get a suit too I suppose
A visa interview? Give them a small box of Ferrero Rocher from which you've eaten two.

Does anyone have good suit-buying tips? Get it here or wait til I get to the shtates and get one with boots and a hat?
I got a really cool one for my 50th in some man's shop in Drogheda. Had Mrs. egg_ with me obvs, there's no way I'd trust myself to get one on my own

theres deffo a scale with wedding presents. The closer you are to the people, the more you give.

I'd agree with the 100/150 suggestions for a wedding that you're attending out of obligation rather than because you actually want to.

I was at one wedding with the missus a few weeks back. The girl getting married was her best buddy and she married a guy I used to work with. We were both fairly involved in getting/keeping them together at various stages of their courtship. The missus was bridesmaid. In that case we ended up giving them 300 quid, but als got them other bits and pieces towards the wedding itself. Plus the missus was on the hen in Portugal. All in all I'd say their wedding cost us the guts of a grand, but I have no problems given how close the people involved are.

I'd agree with the 100/150 suggestions for a wedding that you're attending out of obligation rather than because you actually want to
I do actually want to go, cos weddings are great fun, unless you're in the stage of your life where you're attending one every 2nd weekend (which I'm well past - I think it's 8 or 9 years since I was at one). So maybe I'll go for the €200

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Poor Creature
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back