Does Taylor Swift have any good songs? (2 Viewers)

I like her songs when Ryan Adams covers them.
I started listening that way for sure
But now I think Taylor's Blank Space and her Welcome To New York are way better
Actually, isn't this a bit kinda daft? People deserve respect for doing things they love doing? Should people get respect for riding and boozing and watching movies?
Respectfully there's a difference between putting art out in the world for art's sake and getting drunk in a pub. Particularly if you love that particular form of art.
Not speaking for Nuke but it's clearly important to him when a band are not driven by a desire to be commercially successful or famous.

I guess pissartists technically sacrifice more for the thing they love, so there are no easy answers here.

Not speaking for Nuke but it's clearly important to him when a band are not driven by a desire to be commercially successful or famous
Ah yeah I get that, and tbh I kinda feel that way myself, but I don't really understand why. Like - surely someone who's doing something they that actually needs to be done, but that they hate, deserves more respect? Who is doing more important work - me making up tunes just to put a smile on my own face, or the guy outside up to his waist in shit fixing my septic tank?

Ah yeah I get that, and tbh I kinda feel that way myself, but I don't really understand why. Like - surely someone who's doing something they that actually needs to be done, but that they hate, deserves more respect? Who is doing more important work - me sitting here making up tunes just to put a smile on my own face, or the guy outside up to his waist in shit fixing my septic tank?
How important is art? How important is truth?
I really don't know.
I think if you put those tunes out in the world, and maybe some head in Japan clicks on them and feels a connection, or a cousin of yours hears it and ecourages his daughter to play guitar, then you've increased the sum of human happiness in the world. Maybe as much as a decent plumber?

If you keep all the tunes on a hard drive, I'd definitely say advanatage to the man with the wrenches and the Swarfega.

These are hard questions to pin an answer down to.

Indeed ... and one of the things I love doing it blathering about questions like this, especially with people who see the world differently to how I do (for no monetary gain!) :D
There's some lad in Japan reading this and understanding westerners a little better
Or worse

And I genuinely like Taylor, but she co-writes her stuff

There's a bunch of hitmaking geniuses involved also, primarily Antonoff, but also the lad from The National and a bunch of magical ear worm Swedes and so on
These guys are definitely doing it for the love of it on some level, I'm sure, but I'm sure teh money, fame and VIP lifestyle helps.

Taylor's much closer artistically to Beyonce than say, I dunno, Adrianne Lenker

She is nothing but a 4 chord trickster.
She has a fair few I-V-vi-IV and I-vi-IV-V songs which are kinda the most basic pop music progressions ... in fairness though something like this has a few sus chords

edit: hah that song I linked is in a 4-chord loop too, I just realised ... they're a bit on the less-usual-chords side though

Last edited:
And I genuinely like Taylor, but she co-writes her stuff

There's a bunch of hitmaking geniuses involved also, primarily Antonoff, but also the lad from The National and a bunch of magical ear worm Swedes and so on
These guys are definitely doing it for the love of it on some level, I'm sure, but I'm sure teh money, fame and VIP lifestyle helps.

Taylor's much closer artistically to Beyonce than say, I dunno, Adrianne Lenker
That ain't quite true though. The internet tells me she's sole writer of 67 of her tunes, which is a fair whack.

That ain't quite true though. The internet tells me she's sole writer of 67 of her tunes, which is a fair whack.

Her catalogue is huge though
Like I saw something on Twitter with them ranking like 280? of her songs or something

Without checking, I'd be willing to guess her country stuff is self-penned and the pop era is Hit Factory stuff

I'm not knocking her at all. I like her a lot.

Last edited:
Cowriting is a murky business too. It may well be an apocryphal tale, but I remember the Simon Cowell scam would be to join a songwriting session, say "you know what this song needs, a tambourine smash right here!", and boom, he gets a cowrite.

Listening to Iggy when he had Tom Waits on and they were playing some OLD stuff
A band called the Prisonaires - cos they were in clinky
But their songwriter Johnny Bragg couldn't read or write, so he had to get someone else in the band to write down the lyrics for him, and in exchange the dude got literally a songwriting credit for writing down the song.

Which makes me very sad and happy at the same time.

It almost goes back to the plumber thing.
Something about a band in prison trying to make it, that speaks to the human soul
No disrespect to septic tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back