What television series are you currently making your way through? (16 Viewers)

We Own This City - the David Simon / George Pelecanos minseries from a year or 2 back about corrupt plainclothes cops in Baltimore in the 2000s-2010s, the FBI investigation into them and civil rights lawyers investigating the force at the same time (with the nacent Black Lives Matter movement in the background). There's a chronology-jumping flashback based structure that takes a little bit of getting used to. Had a bit of fun playing spot The Wire alumni (4 or 5 show up with Jamie Hector in a significant role). It's good, though in comparison with some of the other David Simon shows there's maybe not enough time in the 6 episode run to really develop the characters as people, given the amount of nuts & bolts story/context material they have to get through. The lead corrupt cop, as played by Jon Bernthal, is an exception being a properly vivid & larger than life character.

We Own This City - the David Simon / George Pelecanos minseries from a year or 2 back about corrupt plainclothes cops in Baltimore in the 2000s-2010s, the FBI investigation into them and civil rights lawyers investigating the force at the same time (with the nacent Black Lives Matter movement in the background). There's a chronology-jumping flashback based structure that takes a little bit of getting used to. Had a bit of fun playing spot The Wire alumni (4 or 5 show up with Jamie Hector in a significant role). It's good, though in comparison with some of the other David Simon shows there's maybe not enough time in the 6 episode run to really develop the characters as people, given the amount of nuts & bolts story/context material they have to get through. The lead corrupt cop, as played by Jon Bernthal, is an exception being a properly vivid & larger than life character.
I presume this is a HBO thing which you need Sky to watch?

Still the same old twaddle to me, but I'm sticking with it

Also, at the risk of boring/annoying everyone to death, why is almost everyone in this show English?
Is it that when you have emperors and sorcerers and princesses, that it just codes better with English accents?
I'm not complaining (kinda am) but honestly trying to figure out the artistic choice here. Like there were production meetings about this and they decided to go hard on the English. Same with Andor.

Asimov spoke like the New York jew he was, yet this whole thing is populated like the BBC made it.
Is it just cos that's how GoT did it, and that works, so why not?
Curious.
I have decided that the reason everyone is English in this space show is cos it will feel to Apple subscribers in America like more of a prestige show.
Can't think of an artistic reason.

This actually got really fun at the final third of the second season.

On University Challenge last week the popular music clip question was Autobahn.
They only identified it when the "Fon, Fon, Fon on the Autobahn" vocals kicked in after about 10 seconds.
The bonus question clips were on other bands produced by Conny Plank.

Neu! were next.
Then Cluster.
Vienna was the last track which was the only one they got and it took them 6-7 secs to identify Ultravox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back