New laptop (1 Viewer)

sleepy

Website
www.facebook.com
Hoping to buy a laptop in the next week or 2. Only have about 500 - 600 to spend. Can't afford a macbook and won't be getting dell again. Any recommendations? Anyone any experience using toshiba or acer? they any good?

toshiba's are grand. my current laptop is a toshiba. i got it for £360 reduced from £450 in curries. my previous one was a toshiba too and i had that for a good 6 - 7 years before it fully crapped out

I have a friend selling his Macbook Pro. If you could throw another ton onto your budget, you'd get it. Lots of deadly software on it too. PM me if you're interested.

5.4" Macbook Pro.
OSX 10.6.3 Snow Leopard
120 gb hard drive
2.2ghz Intel Core 2 duo
2 GB RAM
Superdrive
Bought June 2007, extended Applecare expires June 2010
Battery & optical drive replaced April 2010
Apple Front Row remote control and all original leads and adapters &
packaging included.
1 careful owner.
Dublin city location.

Howrya Mark, sounds like a deadly laptop and thanks for the offer but I think I'll just shell out for a newer model. They have some alright offers in curry's at the moment

And I've had a dell laptop for the last 3 years and it's been fecking crawling for the last 2 so just thought i'd try something different

5.4" Macbook Pro.
OSX 10.6.3 Snow Leopard
120 gb hard drive
2.2ghz Intel Core 2 duo
2 GB RAM
Superdrive
Bought June 2007, extended Applecare expires June 2010
Battery & optical drive replaced April 2010
Apple Front Row remote control and all original leads and adapters &
packaging included.
1 careful owner.
Dublin city location.
Is that the Macbook Pro Nano?

Lots of food (or laptops) for thought over on argos on their 400-499.99 range http://www.argos.ie/static/Browse/I...6164800/r_001/4|Price|400+<=++<=+499.99|2.htm There's a handy compare function along the right hand-side for checking RAM/CPU/Hard-disk space. For that price you'd definitely get 4GB and about 250gb of HD space. I don't know what function you'd be using the machine for, but any of those machines are fine for browsing/ms office applications. Handy thing about Windows 7 is that all the versions of the OS (home, premium, ultimate, etc) are baked into it so say if you get a machine with Win 7 Home pre-installed, it's just a matter of acquiring the license key for a higher version, tapping it in, computer thinks for 10 mins, reboots and bam, it's upgraded (although the need for the 'better' version of win 7 would only be useful for networking stuff).

And I've had a dell laptop for the last 3 years and it's been fecking crawling for the last 2 so just thought i'd try something different

If you bought it new 3 years ago and it had a halfway decent spec it should still be performing ok.

Run Crap Cleaner. Run PC Decrapifier. Uninstall stuff you're not using. Have a look at the startup options in msconfig and turn off stuff you don't want running in the background (hello quicktime, real player, adobe updater, java updater, skype, google updater...). Run Crap cleaner again. Virus scan. Malware scan.

Failing that, backup your data, reinstall your OS (preferably not one Dell gave you with all that extra shit software on it) and only install stuff you know you need.

I just installed Win7 Ultimate on a 5 year old Dell laptop with 512mb ram and it's faster than it was with Vista on it...

If you bought it new 3 years ago and it had a halfway decent spec it should still be performing ok.

Run Crap Cleaner. Run PC Decrapifier. Uninstall stuff you're not using. Have a look at the startup options in msconfig and turn off stuff you don't want running in the background (hello quicktime, real player, adobe updater, java updater, skype, google updater...). Run Crap cleaner again. Virus scan. Malware scan.

Still haven't gotten that new laptop yet but I did run crap cleaner the other night and had a look at startup options on msconfig and stopped a good few programs that were running on startup. It seems to have helped it a good bit. it's running a lot faster now. Thanks for the tip and the links

OK. In the market for a new laptop, cant seem to find the best sellers like I used to. I guess everyone sold out to amazon or something. Dell are dearest of the lot. Komplett which used to be really competitive are just nicely priced now. This being the best Ive seen so far: Lenovo Essential G50-80 | Komplett.ie
i5, 8gb ram and reasonable graphics card. for €550.
Is there anywhere at the minute that is fighting for market place like komplett used to be? I guess I'll struggle to beat that Lenovo price, but any recommendations are appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back