Superbad (2 Viewers)

Dude, the reason you were getting infantile comments is because it's funny to see you go on about art and tergavision and all this shite, only to be replied to with "u r gay".

Can you type that in English please? It doesn't make much sense.

I'm going to see Superbad this evening if its out..it's out this week I think? And I am hoping that it will do exactly what it says on the tin:

Infantile

Crude

Formulaic

but FUNNY...FUNNY HA HA.....

It better be an improvement on Knocked Up which I am now reckoning to be one of the most sycophantically over-rated movies of recent years...

It better be an improvement on Knocked Up which I am now reckoning to be one of the most sycophantically over-rated movies of recent years...

Private Eye magazine has recently intimated that Apatow (& the studio) have perhaps bribed a number of critics with large wads of $$$ in exchange for favourable reviews.

It makes sense.

BTW for those who have seen 'Knocked Up' do you not think it's more than a little sinister that such a 'cool', 'funny', 'hip' film about an ill-suited pair of adults having a baby can't even mention the very word 'abortion' and goes to unsubtle lengths to make it obvious that it's a 'dirty' word?

Hey Mitchum coming from a legal background as you do what sentence do you predict Chris Langham is going to recieve?

BTW for those who have seen 'Knocked Up' do you not think it's more than a little sinister that such a 'cool', 'funny', 'hip' film about an ill-suited pair of adults having a baby can't even mention the very word 'abortion' and goes to unsubtle lengths to make it obvious that it's a 'dirty' word?
"Hilarious comedy where two people pull together through an unplanned preganacy and subsequent abortion".

Hey Mitchum coming from a legal background as you do what sentence do you predict Chris Langham is going to recieve?

Max. 10 years but he was found not guilty of assault & I think his barrister has done a decent job of elliciting sympathy from the jury. I'd say he'll get four years.

Re: Superbad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSJ
"Hilarious comedy where two people pull together through an unplanned preganacy and subsequent abortion".
Yes I see it now lets get Sturges to direct!

...or how about Billy Wilder or Woody Allen?

But RSJ misses the point.

A pitch for KU could be:
"Stereotype career woman gets poled by stereotype slacker. They WILL find a good Christian way to make it work!"

Private Eye magazine has recently intimated that Apatow (& the studio) have perhaps bribed a number of critics with large wads of $$$ in exchange for favourable reviews.

It makes sense.

what did you think of Knocked Up Mitchum? i doubt you'd engage in such fevered debate on this subject without a frame of reference.

so let's get your review.

A pitch for KU could be:
"Stereotype career woman gets poled by stereotype slacker. They WILL find a good Christian way to make it work!"

Sure but why are you incapable of enjoying it for what it is then?

Mormon Mailer: "Your problem is not that films aren't art enough for you it's that aren't arty enough . Different thing altogether."

This is patent nonsense. I'm saying that the films of Apatow etc are *NOT* Art but they are as formulaic as a processed burger from McDonalds & I don't find them funny, I find them offensive...

How do you know whether or not a film you've never seen is formulaic?

I've heard the exact opposite. Most of the reviews I've read have remarked on how the girls are fully developed characters in themselves and not just a blank canvass to hang fratboy humour on.

I don't care whether you like this film or not and it none of my business what you find funny or don't (even if I do think its a pose!) The problem I have with your attitude is that it's dismissive and prejudiced and that even if 90% of the films in this genre are pretty poor there are still lots of really great films you are unfairly dismissing.

*OK*

what did you think of Knocked Up Mitchum? i doubt you'd engage in such fevered debate on this subject without a frame of reference.

so let's get your review.

What do I think of 'Knocked Up'? *lol*

Go back to bed, fella.

How do you know whether or not a film you've never seen is formulaic?

I've heard the exact opposite. Most of the reviews I've read have remarked on how the girls are fully developed characters in themselves and not just a blank canvass to hang fratboy humour on.

I don't care whether you like this film or not and it none of my business what you find funny or don't (even if I do think its a pose!) The problem I have with your attitude is that it's dismissive and prejudiced and that even if 90% of the films in this genre are pretty poor there are still lots of really great films you are unfairly dismissing.

*OK*
Erm...first of all I repeatedly said that I'm judging SB on it's trailer & the previous output of Apatow *WHICH I HAVE SEEN*

Curious too that you're basing your opinion on reviews of a film that *YOU* have not seen either. As for this slice of hypocricy: "even if 90% of the films in this genre are pretty poor there are still lots of really great films you are unfairly dismissing." words. fail.

Plus...I don't care what YOU think of anything to do with art when you dismiss WB Yates[sic] as 'sh1t', think the flimsy (in plot, style and yes, weight!) 'On Chesil Beach' is 'well worth e20 and have consistently made crude, unthinking homophobic and xenophobic remarks on other threads.
*OK?*

A pitch for KU could be:

Yeah and by the same token a pitch for His Girl Friday could be:
Errant wife returns to the sanctity of Christian marriage

KU is a film about a mis-matced couple having a baby - it succeeds or fails on these terms - not because you would prefer it were another film.

Eh, i think it's you're missing the point, going on about subtext in a comedy where half the lines end with "my balls in your mouth".

I disagree & have stated so above. I really do think you're missing the point if you think these films are *ONLY* about slap-stick & scat-jokes.

Read ANY interview with Rogen or Apatow where they discuss their work with an unfawning film critic.

Erm...first of all I repeatedly said that I'm judging SB on it's trailer & the previous output of Apatow *WHICH I HAVE SEEN*

Curious too that you're basing your opinion on reviews of a film that *YOU* have not seen either.

I don't know whether it's going to be funny or not but the point is I haven't decided yet you have.

As for this slice of hypocricy: "even if 90% of the films in this genre are pretty poor there are still lots of really great films you are unfairly dismissing." words. fail.

I wish they'd fail you more!

Plus...I don't care what YOU think of anything to do with art when you dismiss WB Yates[sic] as 'sh1t', think the flimsy (in plot, style and yes, weight!) 'On Chesil Beach' is 'well worth e20 and have consistently made crude, unthinking homophobic and xenophobic remarks on other threads.
*OK?*

Is ickle Mitchum a bit rattled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back