Cheap guitars that cut it. (3 Viewers)

GARYXKNIFEDX

Solutions
Website
Visit site
Yep,we all love those Gibsons and Fenders etc,but surely some cheap guitars can surprise. And by cheap,I mean the cheaper the better.
There's always tons of guitars being sold cheap,either new or used,and some could be pretty useless. But I'm convinced that getting past the snobbery could provide surprises.
So,what should not be overlooked?

Yep,we all love those Gibsons and Fenders etc,but surely some cheap guitars can surprise. And by cheap,I mean the cheaper the better.
There's always tons of guitars being sold cheap,either new or used,and some could be pretty useless. But I'm convinced that getting past the snobbery could provide surprises.
So,what should not be overlooked?
i like early 90's squires. and ive got a stagg which plays real well. and its a total budget guitar. i guess certain danelectros as well. ive played one or two of the really cheap ones, and whilst they feel quite plastically, they play well enough.

i hate SX, rocktone, encore etc.

i like early 90's squires. and ive got a stagg which plays real well. and its a total budget guitar. i guess certain danelectros as well. ive played one or two of the really cheap ones, and whilst they feel quite plastically, they play well enough.

i hate SX, rocktone, encore etc.

I've got two fenders and I love my Danelectro Hodad as much as these two. I bought it for 500 I think back in the day, which was a bit of a fortune to me. It's got really low action so is super-easy to play and it feeds back like no other. It's obedient and it's black and sparkly and has a huge whammy bar that's very pretty and doesn't make the guitar go out of tune. What more do you want? I suppose it is quite feminine to look but hey so are Mustangs and 335s.

squier vista jagmaster here that cost about 100e. does the job lovely...

Jagmaster.jpg

like edel says, some danos offer amazing value for money. a friend has a 12 string dano that sounds class and holds it's tuning really well. the early 90s and late 80s squires are far better then current mexican fenders. ibanez strat and les paul copies can be picked up for a song and are really solid guitars.

in terms of new cheap axes, aren't all the rocker kids playing schaler guitars these days? i recently played one and it was a really nice guitar. i think it cost €5/600. the cheaper epiphones could be ok i guess and the fender are adding shitloads of new squire guitars with various body shapes and pick-up configurations for fuck all money.

squier vista jagmaster here that cost about 100e. does the job lovely...

Jagmaster.jpg
Mate of mine got a squire (i think) jazzmaster about ten years ago for two hundred pounds or so. Went in three months later to trade it in and the dude in the shop gave him four hundred for it as the wood that was used had gone out of production and they had shot up in value. Score!!

I got a squier strat last year for about 115 and it's really a lot lot better then it has any right to be, into a good amp and kept clean it sounds lovely

course it fell on the floor once and the strings put a dent right into one of the frets... and the first tone knob seems to cut in and out randomly... so you can see where the corners get cut...

the higher end squire p-basses are good solid instruments. my brother is a session bassist and he uses one.

SX make good CHEAP basses.
You can order them in from Rondo Music for less than Waltons are charging for them.
I'd recommend a pickup change once you get it though.

I was chatting to the guy in the Guitar Workshop about the benefits of forking out big money to buy a quality guitar (our guitarist has about 5 guitars - all chinese!).

He said that none of his were U.S made.
He reckons there's no point spending a lot buying the guitar cos you can change everything on a cheap one (pickups, bridge, nut, tuners) & it'll sound great.

Having said that, I was in Musicmaker & tried out the 2 lefty Tele's (one U.S., one Mexican) & they felt competely different straight away.
Loved the U.S. one, hated the Mexican.

There are a million cheap guitars out there that are really good, the main problem in my opinion would be the pickups and those can be replaced. As you may have seen in another thread I just bought a Jolana Tornado which is a 1960's czechoslovakian semihollow guitar (copy of ES-335). It cost me €172 (incl postage) and on first inspection the build quality seems to be pretty good. I'm going to replace the pickups with Seymour Duncan mini humbuckers (as show here) and the tuners, and hey presto I've got a beautiful guitar that looks and sounds great for under €300.
My regular ebay searches are for
Eko
Ibanez 19**
Goya
Hagstrom
Guild
Gordon Smith
Burns
Shergold
Hayman
Baldwin
Jolana
Meassi
Hofner
Framus

All these brands have amazing guitars but they also have shitty guitars so watch out and do some research. As everyone keeps saying early Squires are great and so are early/mid eighties Japanese Fenders.

Having said that, I was in Musicmaker & tried out the 2 lefty Tele's (one U.S., one Mexican) & they felt competely different straight away.
Loved the U.S. one, hated the Mexican.

Were they reissues? They might have been cut differently to represent a classic time in the fender eara, like 60's Fat necks vs 70's thin necks, same guitar totally different feel.

He said that none of his were U.S made.
He reckons there's no point spending a lot buying the guitar cos you can change everything on a cheap one (pickups, bridge, nut, tuners) & it'll sound great.

It's worth point out that you can't do nothing about a shitty neck, if it starts warping or anything it's pretty worthless. Same with the frets on cheap guitars, if they start wearing down badly you're looking at forking out $$$ to re-fret the neck...

My Dano was great but it's come to a point when I nearly to put the same ammount of money it cost me back into it to keep it "gig-worthy" (what a harmony centeral user review type of word) and I'm not sure if I want to do that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back