Stories you will never tire of reading to children... (2 Viewers)

Wölflinge

Website
www.vickylangan.com
sly_fox.jpg

The Sly Fox and the Little Red Hen.
I recently came across my copy of this book that I owned when I was tiny (complete with colored-over pictures and pages stapled together) and resurrected it with my 2 year old sister... I could recite it in my sleep and still love it. Especially since I taught her to understand that it was a terrible terrible thing that the sly fox and his mammy got killed in the end. Heartbreaking illustration at the end with the pair of them dead in their den and the bastard hen getting off scott free.

sly_fox.jpg

The Sly Fox and the Little Red Hen.
I recently came across my copy of this book that I owned when I was tiny (complete with colored-over pictures and pages stapled together) and resurrected it with my 2 year old sister... I could recite it in my sleep and still love it. Especially since I taught her to understand that it was a terrible terrible thing that the sly fox and his mammy got killed in the end. Heartbreaking illustration at the end with the pair of them dead in their den and the bastard hen getting off scott free.

Deadly!

I had that exact same edition. Seeing that cover took me back to 1977.

Well Loved Tales indeed.

other cool stories for kids

The Princess And The Pea - very clever.

The Wolf And The Seven Little Kids - chilling. The wolf covers his hand in flour to trick the kids into letting him into their house. The mother goat's revenge with the stones is great. The wolf's death by drowning is bittersweet.

totally deadly

I've got a couple of Richard Scarry's stuff, which is amazing, though they have re-written a lot of it and the shrunk the pages a bit. He is still the king of kids books for me though

busyworld.jpg

His queen is Judith Kerr, with her Mog books which are lovely to look at, and don't pull any punches with robbers and bad dogs and kids nearly getting run over by cars... but her meisterwurk ist The Tiger That Came To Tea, has that lovely 50's/60's polite britishness, with a slight psycheldelic slant, feel to it Deadly Buke.

kerrtiger.jpg

owl_babies001.jpg

I love this book.

Also amazing :

067088278X.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

and anything else by the Alhbergs.

Is it kinda weird that I own lots of these already and have no babies (yet)?

I tell myself they are for work but still....

I love The Velveteen Rabbit. I'm not sure you guys had that over here?

Full text and illustrations here:
http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/williams/rabbit/rabbit.html

I've read it a thousand times, and I still can't read it without getting all bleary-eyed and lumpy-throated. One of the greatest stories ever written. Of all time.

In fact, I used to buy Italo Calvino's Italian Folk Tales for all nippers, but I think I'm going to order a crate of these instead.

Also, of course, any and all Roald Dahl books, which are dark and hilarious and fabulous.

0241003008.jpg

This is meant to be a great book for kids. A standard in Children's Book Illustration, I'll have you know!

Marvin wanted more is deadly - it's so cool the way it never sells out, and yes Marvin does actually eat the whole world

We're going on a bear hunt is very popular in our house (where it's known as "tiptoe") but I'm not mad on it cos the rhymes don't scan properly

We go to the library regularly, which is deadly. This is the current favourite

1121947274406.jpeg

We've been through stages of reading only recipe books to egg_ jr., cos she loves looking at pictures of pasta.

oooh yay for loads of these. the library is brilliant for books too. and it's a lovely ritual to go and read and choose new books and leave back old ones.
my little fella loves the drama, the voices put on - and anything about poo... he loved this one!
3ymf5eu.jpg

in the last lot we both loved this one, really really sweet, simple and poetic:
4g608jn.jpg

i like maurice sendak's stuff too, his are some of my childhood books (all crayoned etc) that i'm reading to the boy.

for the fairy tales i can remember but i don't have in books, it makes a nice change to just tell the story - i do that with the three little pigs and the three bears.. also the story of the greedy dog - the one who dropped his bone into the water trying to get at the other reflected bone?
-can i have a strawberry please?
-noooo... (protecting strawberries) mammy no want one.
-ah now.. don't be like the greedy dog!
-(smile of recognition) mammy read..a..eh... mammy tell pictures greedy dog!
-well ok then (scoffing strawberry) once upon a time...

the moral doesn't really hold but... i'll keep at it til he calls me on it;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back