Casual anti-Americanism (2 Viewers)

Ha ha.

Seriously, though. I'm really fucking tired of it. I hadn't realised how much of it I was putting up with until I was away from it for a month. Now I realise that I'm not comfortable opening my mouth in public because I'm so fucking tired of it I'm nearly ready to pack up and go home.

jane said:
This is absolutely not directed at anyone one Thumped, just a general whinge. I just got back after a month in the States, and I'm only now realising how much I'm bothered by the amount of casual anti-Americanism here in Ireland.

Just wanted to say that.

'kay, thanks.

My girlfriend's mate in Ireland is also an American and has been getting this all the time.
This despite the fact she's lived in both Ireland and Britain for the last fifteen years.
Also, my girlfriend is pretty bothered by the amount of casual anti-Englishism she gets from the Irish.

i find it strange how widespread it is. even in lectures in college, in bad attempts to lighten the mood, the lecturer will make a dodgy anti-american joke and they also generally get the reaction they're looking for - students laughing, "those stupid yanks! ar har har. our lecturer is cool, s/he thinks americans are stupid too!".
also obviously many people seem to think bush = stupid, all americans = stupid because obviously they all voted for him. it's baffling.

i find that when im out with a multi-cultural group and the talk turns political, the americans get hung, drawn and quartered.

people have to realise that not EVERY american is ann coulter.

frolickingsheep said:
i find it strange how widespread it is. even in lectures in college, in bad attempts to lighten the mood, the lecturer will make a dodgy anti-american joke and they also generally get the reaction they're looking for - students laughing, "those stupid yanks! ar har har. our lecturer is cool, s/he thinks americans are stupid too!".
also obviously many people seem to think bush = stupid, all americans = stupid because obviously they all voted for him. it's baffling.

This is the thing. Just because the powerful Americans are more powerful than most people in the world, and often more corrupt, it does not mean that the rest of us should have to bear the fucking burden of the mess they've made. What's the most upsetting to me is that Americans are -- at long last -- beginning to differentiate between their own opposition to the government and actual anti-Americanism (they used to be assumed to be one and the same) and embracing real dissent in a way that says, "Dissent is the only true patriotism", and it would be good if other people would realise that. There was an awesome billboard on I-95 through Providence that said, "Be Patriotic: Impeach Bush".

I get that shit all the time from people in college, and it's especially petty considering what the university is supposed to be doing. Oh, and also the fact that the non-EU fees paid by American students are the only fucking reason the Irish universities are currently surviving. They'd do well to stop talking to us like pieces of shit, or we'll take our money and go home.

billygannon said:
Also, my girlfriend is pretty bothered by the amount of casual anti-Englishism she gets from the Irish.
When I worked in England I used to get fed up of casual anti-Irishism. It's always a little bit of a strain living in forn parts I reckon. Though when I was in University in Hull I experienced a kind of casual pro-Irishism, which meant everyone laughed at my jokes and thought it was deadly when I drunk, hungover or singing. Great days

I think there is a general feeling that Americans somehow "deserve" to get the piss taken out of them

kind of like the way men now have to bear all the slagging with good nature because we treated women horribly for centuries

sorry ... went a bit John Waters there

anyway

Americans! Fuck off back to your own country

wherever that is

plug said:
how does the casual anti americanism tend to manifest itself? is it all I-hate-bush-americans-are-dumb stuff or what? and does it happen a lot?

Sometimes it's not expressed in an overt way, and sometimes it's stuff like, "You're not bad for an American." Which is, apparently, supposed to be a compliment, and I used to think people were only joking about their feelings about Americans, but after many years here, I know that only a few people are joking.

johnnystress said:
kind of like the way men now have to bear all the slagging with good nature because we treated women horribly for centuries

Actually, it's being fed up with the casual anti-Americanism that has made me think really hard about the casual acceptance of 'men suck' kinds of statements, and to make a conscious effort to stop doing them. Just as the idea of 'Yank privilege' doesn't mean every American can avail of it, not all men use male privilege to exploit women. Obviously, they are not entirely comparable, but I don't actually think it's totally Watersy to say that there is a general acceptance of taking the piss out of people who are associated with 'exploiters', which can actually be quite damaging to social relations at a number of levels.

Southsiders have been slagging off us Northsiders for years. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Get over it or kick them in the Bollicks like us stereotypical Northsiders do to southside snobs.

I hate Americans who are annoying. But, on analysing it, I hate everyone who is annoying, not just Americans. But hate is such a strong word and I don’t really hate them. Just the inconvenience of being in their presence. Or the bit where they really can’t see that they’re doing anything wrong. Or is that just stupidity that I dislike?

I do hate American Foreign Policy. Added to that. I hate Oirish Foreign Policy too. But I hate Oirish Internal Policy more.

I hope the Metro goes under the Dáil when it’s built. Where’s me Violet Carson’s…?

Seriously, though, best thing is to ignore it. “Push out the jive; pull in the love…. “

Goff said:
Southsiders have been slagging off us Northsiders for years. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Get over it or kick them in the Bollicks like us stereotypical Northsiders do to southside snobs.

I hate Americans who are annoying. But, on analysing it, I hate everyone who is annoying, not just Americans. But hate is such a strong word and I don’t really hate them. Just the inconvenience of being in their presence. Or the bit where they really can’t see that they’re doing anything wrong. Or is that just stupidity that I dislike?

I do hate American Foreign Policy. Added to that. I hate Oirish Foreign Policy too. But I hate Oirish Internal Policy more.

I hope the Metro goes under the Dáil when it’s built. Where’s me Violet Carson’s…?

Seriously, though, best thing is to ignore it. “Push out the jive; pull in the love…. “

I try to ignore it. But I get it at least once a day, and you know what? It really fucking pisses me off, and I'm tired of pretending it's okay. My culture IS different from your culture, but it's not necessarily an 'American' culture, because it's such a vast country. But if someone's annoying, why make it an issue of their nationality? I find lots of people annoying, and since most of the people I know these days live in IReland, most of them are IRish. But that doesn't mean that I can make statements about how Irish people are all annoying because that's simply not true.

Ugh. I never should have posted this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back