Cancelled (2 Viewers)

Simone deBeauvoir

Inappropriate riding in the boudoir don't you know

TCD managements cards well and truly marked

“There was some book that came out that talked about her and grooming, and it was decided not to select her,” according to the source. “She was a popular candidate with staff and students, but it became apparent she couldn’t be included.”

wait til they figure out she was also a tankie; she’ll be double-cancelled

Guardian cartoonist here. Did an antisemitic cartoon

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

he's only gone and chosen an awful background which makes the apology hard to read.

The apology was pretty insincere and casual considering he has form with this
Man, I've just read it and he's gone through his entire process - if anything, he's overdoing it
I can't think of what more we could expect from someone making a mistake. He apologises again and again.

If people are of the opinion that it's a sneaky go at the Jews, then there's nothing else to be said to convince them otherwise. .
But his account of him just not thinking it through, holds up to scrutiny.

For this I apologise, though I’m not going to repeat the current formulation by saying I’m sorry if people were upset, which is always code for “I’ve done nothing wrong, you’re just oversensitive”. This is on me, even if accidentally or, more precisely, thoughtlessly. It’s a personal mantra of mine that satirical cartoons are like journalism, all about Afflicting the Comfortable and Comforting the Afflicted. In other words, I should never attack people less powerful than me (which narrows the field more than you might imagine) and I should only attack people for what they think, not who they are.

So by any definition, most of all my own, the cartoon was a failure and on many levels: I offended the wrong people, Sharp wasn’t the main target of the satire, I rushed at something without allowing enough time to consider things with the depth and care they require, and thereby letting slip in stupid ambiguities that have ended up appearing to be something I never intended. But as I’ve always said, once my work is in the public domain, it no longer belongs to me but to the beholder, in whose eye offence dwells just as surely as beauty.

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa. To work effectively, cartoons almost more than any other part of journalism require eternal vigilance, against unconscious bias as well as things that should be obvious and in this case, unforgivably, I didn’t even think about. There are sensitivities it is our obligation to respect in order to achieve our satirical purposes. Despite the tyranny of the deadline, in future I’ll make sure I’ve drawn what I really mean, and mean what I draw.

Not having a go or anything. I just don't see what else the guy could say.

Last edited:
Man, I've just read it and he's gone through his entire process - if anything, he's overdoing it
I can't think of what more we could expect from someone making a mistake. He apologises again and again.

If people are of the opinion that it's a sneaky go at the Jews, then there's nothing else to be said to convince them otherwise. .

“The Jews are A OK by me”

I think many of us should bookmark that quote for use when someone dredges up something we wrote in 2004.

But also, doesn't the paper have an editor?

Personally, I now know much more about antisemitic tropes than I did a few days ago. Octopi, jaysus.

There is at least one Thumped person who went into politics, but then he quit politics because he's not Banski or something.

Sidenote

It is not the first time that when something clearly is making the conservative machine look like a pack of greedy fools that anti semitism has been the way to descredit it. Whatever about the tropes in the cartoon and the unfair treatment of the Jewish man, it was depiction of Boris sitting on a pile of shit hoarding money which is pretty fair - Corbyn was good at pointing that out too and he was bad jacketed in the same way.

Boris Johnson is equal opportunities - he's said bigoted stuff about many minorities including plenty of antisemitism which is on record.
Like Boris Johnson rampant Islamophobia doesn't get the same scrunity.

There was a few Al Jazeera documentaries last year based on leaks from the Labour Party. The party were so concerned with the right wing media antisemitism narrative that even Corbyn made sacrifices to placate them knowing this narrative was largely untrue.

Under Starmer there was a blatant purge of the Labour Party left wing. Decent people were thrown under the bus, spied on by their own party e.g. elderly Jewish women who lost family in the Holocaust told how they got letters from the party saying they were being investigated for antisemitism.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's not like we have a history of renaming streets and towns all over the country.

Theres an interesting bit in it about not wanting to think about it. I wonder if overnight the layer of slavery era names were removed, people would start thinking about a the local dynasties in that area or across Ireland...

“All those catchment areas would have to step back and think how they would rename their little town land and estates, and it’s not sitting well.”

The slow slow march to possibly being honest about life in Ireland at present in a national sense will be halted by thinking not sitting well.

In a cancelling tangent on naming of things I was in roundstone a few weeks ago and looked up the Irish which is Cloch Na Rón - (Seals rock). Whatever prick translated that is cancelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back