Audiobooks (1 Viewer)

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
GF gave me a thing on audible for Christmas and I've been listening to it when out walking the dog. Not the same as reading obviously but it's its own thing and I imagine that certain types of book are better suited to the format than others.

Anyone listen to them regularly? What sort of thing do you go for? I still have an audible credit to use before deciding whether or not to sign up for it.

Get unlocking your audible badges!

Long time audiobook listener here, it's very much pot luck, some books you expect to be great are not, and others you expect to be good are bad.

I have listened to a fair few of the Great Courses on Audible, if you're into listening to lectures.

Recently the girlfriend and I spent a few months listening to Lord of the Rings, which was a very nice, indulgent listen. Your Tolkien mileage may vary of course.

I got through all three of the “The Three Body Problem” books in 30 minute chunks in the car over the course of a few months. No way would I have stuck with it If I’d been reading the actual books. Also, probably would have crashed the car at least once.

I have considered that this is my best shot at doing Ulysses
It is a rule that one must listen as well as read Ulysses yeah. If nothing else you get to keep going when you don't know wtf is going on.

I highly recommend the Hornblower series of books by C.S. Forester, read by Christian Rodka. Haven't listened to them all, but they're cracking adventure stories and the narrator is perfect

I also really enjoyed The Examined Life by Stephen Grosz - a series of accounts of his patients by a psychotherapist

The only audiobook I own is the Naxos version read by Bishop Brennan.

That's the one I've gone for. Found it a bit of a slog for the first 7 chapters. The only character I liked was Simon Dedalus because he hates Buck Mulligan.

However I listened to chapter 8 on Sunday and either that's the moment where the whole thing clicked for me or it's the first good chapter. Only 22ish more hours of it to go.

Might do War and Peace, another book I'll probably never read, after this.

Finished my first one. Quite enjoyed it. Nice way to entertain myself on a walk.

Really struggling with Ulysses still. chapter 8 was good but it's such a drag otherwsie.

Spent 2 credits today. I Partridge for something light and Old Man And the Sea as I've never read any Hemingway.

In future months I'm going to take on some stuff that isn't from the canon of white guys. James Baldwin or similar maybe?

Finished my first one. Quite enjoyed it. Nice way to entertain myself on a walk.

Really struggling with Ulysses still. chapter 8 was good but it's such a drag otherwsie.

Spent 2 credits today. I Partridge for something light and Old Man And the Sea as I've never read any Hemingway.

In future months I'm going to take on some stuff that isn't from the canon of white guys. James Baldwin or similar maybe?
This is supposed to be good The Nickel Boys

Finished The Old Man And The Sea when I was walking at lunch. As I said I'd never read him before and I know there's a whole "Hemmingway and masculinity lol" thing but I really enjoyed it. 2 and a half hours of 8 word sentences was a nice refresher after 25 hours of passages that seemed to never end.

This is supposed to be good The Nickel Boys

Going to start this next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back