What movie did you watch last night? (15 Viewers)

IT - my initial thoughts upon leaving the cinema were disappointing. Not very scary, ropey effects and pointless 80s update.

I've had time to think about it and I might have been a bit hasty to dismiss it. The cast of kids are all terrific and there are some cool and creepy sequences. I just wish it had been a bit scarier.

went to the cinema
I don't really react to jump scares. earlier scenes and one of the subplots were wayyy scarier than the actual clown. horrific levels of product placement had me buying tampons and nkotb records this morning. Don't think it was up to much but might be a bit of craic for teens/kids. Its no babadook.

All Things Must Pass
Documentary about the rise and fall of Tower Records. Looked like a really great place to work in its heyday. Featured a good bit on Tower Records in Japan (including a massive 8 storey monster of a store in Tokyo) but absolutely no mention of the Dublin ones. I wasn't really expecting them to be featured but they didn't even get a mention in that thing that documentaries/biopics do when they throw up some text at the end to cover the stuff that didn't make it into the film ("Jeffrey went on to become an adviser to celebrity horticulturists" and that kind of thing).

I'm Your Man
Movie about a Leonard Cohen tribute concert interspersed with interviews with Cohen and Bono (and occasionally other singers). I have the soundtrack on CD for aaaages but only saw it for the first time this week. The soundtrack is better because Bono isn't talking shite at you in a weird American accent (he says "tactile" like he was born in the Bronx or something).

The Babadook
I was a bit disappointed with this given all the positivity I've seen about it online. It wasn't bad, both the boy and Miss Fisher The Lady Detective were great in it but seeing the monster killed the suspense for me as he didn't look scary but rather like a naff Tim Burton creation. The drawings in the book in the movie were far more effective, they should have left it at that and left it up to the audience to fill in the gaps. Plus the ending was a bit shit.

Needful Things. Another awful Stephen King adaption. Had to go to IMDB to see if it was a low budget TV movie, but no, it's just shit.

The Hippopotamus

Better than I thought it would be, the tone kind of jumps all over the place but I was happy enough to watch Roger Allam belligerently wander across the screen giving out to people for an hour and a half.

I watched The Happening again, and once again hoping it would be better somehow. I like the premise but it gets a bit daft and sometimes it feels like Mark Wahlberg is about to burst out laughing. But I like the grim unexplained suicides.
I have the girlfriend convinced that I genuinely love that film. You should have seen her face fall when we actually watched it once.

Last edited:
IT - my initial thoughts upon leaving the cinema were disappointing. Not very scary, ropey effects and pointless 80s update.

I've had time to think about it and I might have been a bit hasty to dismiss it. The cast of kids are all terrific and there are some cool and creepy sequences. I just wish it had been a bit scarier.

I really liked IT. Have to say I didn't find it scary either but I just put that down to being severely jaded and unshockable after years of watching horror films. I still found it really entertaining and the kids were brilliant in it. I actually preferred it to the book. But then I thought the book was a bit shit.

The 80's version of IT is desperate shite but I did think Tim Curry played Pennywise better.

One thing I was thinking during the opening scene where Georgie meets the clown in the drain was if that was my kid Pennywise wouldn't have been able to get a word in edge ways.

Wind River. Really liked it. An intelligent, satisfying mystery thriller. Good performances and great locations. From the guy who wrote sicario and hell or high water. I thought it was better than hell or high water.

A Ghost Story. Oh this was very, very good. The two leads fall asleep and it's fascinating. Rooney Mara acts the shit out of eating a pie and is amazing. Will Oldham gets one scene and more lines - and makes more sense - than anyone else in the movie. Really enjoyed it.

John Wick 2. At least most of it, but we were knackered and the stream kept on buffering, so we only saw 3/4 of it. seemed ok, should go back and rewatch when more alert....

The Nice Guys. Probably enjoyed it more than I should but the Crowe/Gosling fighting/wise-cracking combo was implausibly just what my hangover needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back