What movie did you watch last night? (18 Viewers)

Blade Runner 2049 - It looks and sounds fantastic, and I liked that it held to the sometimes leisurely pacing of the original film (but didn't feel like it dragged, which is to its credit for a near 3 hour film).. I would say that it lacks the vivid characters of the original, Gosling is a bit too much of a blank slate as the P.O.V. character and there's nobody really as memorable as Rutger Hauer, Daryl Hannah or even the oddball side characters. As a well-realized continuation of the world of the original movie it definitely succeeds though.
I pretty much agree; the look and sound were great, I liked the little nods to the original film, but it seriously lacked dynamism.
Some scenes were way too long and not that crucial to the main story imo.
I don't get Gosling at all - he's just Mr Blank, no presence at all.
And yes I agree, memorable characters were sorely lacking.
What was the deal with Sean Young??

Watched Possession (1981) last night. First time to see it. Some pretty fucked up shit. Mark Kermode compared it slightly to Von Triers' Antichrist, which I haven't seen. I was thinking once again of Arronofsky's Mother, only for the fact that Possession is also quite hysterical and out there. It's pretty batshit crazy, but worth a look.
Excellent movie. Isabelle Adjani <3

I loved Frank so much ;_;

I just watched Melancholia for the first time. Eh... what is the thumped consensus on this one?

i liked br 2049. i agree with the comments about characters. however, the mood, tone, pace and the soundtrack, visuals were all very much to my liking. plot wasn't bad. i'm a huge fan of the original and i didn't feel let down by this. not sure how i feel about ryan gosling though. probably go see it again...

LA people doing agonised soul searching. That's a very 90s thing right?
Oh I see what you mean. I suppose it is dated in that way, if it came out now there'd be some serious guardian tut-tutting at the lily-white cast and, to a considerably lesser extent, their rich lifestyles.

I guess my thoughts are that if you made the same film but with more people of color because representation matters and set it in nowheresville America you'd still have the same film about depression and the end of the world. Maybe more scenes about having to go to work during depression/ the apocalypse. No bad thing. I don't think it'd be any better or worse, it's not like I relate to rich LA people as it is.

Do people think Melancholia is supposed to be set in LA? Or do ye mean LA as a shorthand for rich white and overpriveleged?

I couldn't figure out where it was set when I was watching it but when Bernie said it was set there it occurred to me that massive isolated mansions by the coast is a pretty LA thing as much as city-life.

I've always thought of it as being set somewhere in Europe. Though I dunno why since most of the main actors are American and speak in American accents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back