What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (2 Viewers)

51mW8baA3YL._SX317_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm totally addicted to these novels. I read the first one on a recommendation. Enjoyed it but wasn't overly enamoured. Starting on the second one anyway and then lost it somehow. Got a loan of it, started again a few weeks later, and was hooked halfway through.

It's basically a very long four part quasi-autobiographical novel told from the point of view of a woman growing up in a poor part of Naples and specifically her lifelong friendship/enmity with a chiildhood friend. This doesn't sound very exciting but it really is.

Finally got around to reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

600+ pages of MEHHHHH

I might have liked it if I discovered it as a teenager and the man has got more ideas on a page then I'd have in a decade but he really doesn't do anything with the material, everything is so woefully underdeveloped and surface level.

It's a pity, I liked the lead in it and some of the less fantasy sections of the book were quite enjoyable, just all the Gods stuff was such badly thought out nonsense. bah.

Last edited:
I was reading A Brief History of Seven Killings, over Christmas but gave up on it.
Then read Ishiguro's The Buried Giant which I loved and at the weekend read Our Souls at Night (Kent Haruf) which was just a really lovely read.
Onto another Haruf novel now called Plainsong. I've a feeling I'll be searching out more of his stuff.

My currently reading list is up to 9 books!

Time to start finishing something I started...

I liked a lot of it but I got a bit bored by it. The constant moving between a very large character list didn't really help. It became more of a chore so I gave up!

Yeah I can understand that. It's a bit of a monster. It seems like one those books that you have to really throw yourself into ... we'll see how it goes.

I liked a lot of it but I got a bit bored by it. The constant moving between a very large character list didn't really help. It became more of a chore so I gave up!

I finished it in December and it was ok. The first section was good but for me, lost momentum in the third and forth section recovered it somewhat. For me, the third section was a drag.

I hope to finish "my brilliant friend" by Elena ferrante this weekend and my next read is "a whole life" by Robert seethaler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back