What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

81cHkXqlUrL._SL1500_.jpg

I've read Freedom but can't remember anything about it. I can tell you though that the above book, which I have just finished, was quite boring.

I'm reading the Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man due to the vague feeling that I "should" read Joyce some time. So far it's funny and enjoyable (and strangely... I'm not good at describing literature, but alive, I think I'm trying to say) and not the chore that I had somehow been lead to believe Joyce might be.

I'm reading the Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man due to the vague feeling that I "should" read Joyce some time. So far it's funny and enjoyable (and strangely... I'm not good at describing literature, but alive, I think I'm trying to say) and not the chore that I had somehow been lead to believe Joyce might be.

Yeah, its a great ol read.

The only bit I don't like in Portrait is the young childhood section, it doesn't ring true to me. It's great once he becomes a mopey teenager.

mind you

Ugh, I've started Ulysses for a book club thingy.

A year later and this is still ongoing, the book club fell apart for ages and is only getting back together now. I had to go reread a whole pile to remember what was going on. Ulysses is hard : (

Last edited:
The only bit I don't like in Portrait is the young childhood section, it doesn't ring true to me. It's great once he becomes a mopey teenager.

mind you

A year later and this is still ongoing, the book club fell apart for ages and is only getting back together now. I had to go reread a whole pile to remember what was going on. Ulysses is hard : (

There's a version with added punctuation

Ulysses Remastered

de4bbb94.jpeg

finished this. Worth a read if you like New Order/Joy Division, or even any of what was going on circa the 'madchester' era. He has some interesting stories, mostly around Curtis and that era. Some of the Hacienda stuff was interesting too.

He has a not-quite-Morissey-esque rant about Peter Hook thats a bit weak and unconvincing.

Overall not a great book, but worthwhile if you have any interest in that music scene.

Let the Great World Spin was shite

You're a gas man! It was great. A bit Irish American early on, but it picked up.

It's interesting though. Do you think it's Shite shite or shite just not into it? How to separate the two?

Like, there are many books I used to refer to as shite, but I suppose I just disliked them. There are of course many books that are shite shite.

Plantagenets- Dan Jones. ABout a third in. Good if not slightly tedious. All that King/Queen/royal blood line stuff is all a bit mental really. Makes me thankful that im skint n have no driving ambition to gain power/money/ego/world domination etc etc

You're a gas man! It was great. A bit Irish American early on, but it picked up.

It's interesting though. Do you think it's Shite shite or shite just not into it? How to separate the two?

Like, there are many books I used to refer to as shite, but I suppose I just disliked them. There are of course many books that are shite shite.

Hmmm, that's a great question.

I wasn't into it anyway but I think it was a bit shite* too. I didn't like his writing, I thought it was a bit poor.

* IMO. Just not my cuppa tea, like. I don't subscribe to any theory of objective artistic/moral values

Hmmm, that's a great question.

I wasn't into it anyway but I think it was a bit shite* too. I didn't like his writing, I thought it was a bit poor.

* IMO. Just not my cuppa tea, like. I don't subscribe to any theory of objective artistic/moral values

It is difficult to separate the two - as it is with music, movies etc. I always remember our English teacher saying we could be "critical but not cynical". One of the lads memorably replied - "that's bollocks sir". How we laughed... including the teacher.

I'm making hard work out of Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. I've been reading it for weeks and I'm only on page 123.
I finally finished Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. It was great at times but infuriatingly long-winded. I had more than enough of it by the end.

Next up: Reds and the Green: Ireland, Russia, and the Communist Internationals, 1919-43 by Emmet O'Connor

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back