Minor Pleasures (7 Viewers)

Stayed up in my friend's Mom's house in NH this weekend. Lovely lady in her 70s. Health not always great, but fabulous company. A little bit Audrey Hepburn, a little bit Dorothy Parker. Well-read, kind and opinionated.
Anyway, she has a huge library, stuffed with books. The type of place you'd want to take a decade off and dive into.
So I recognise this book by this author, he's a famous professor that taught my friend in Boston College. So i pull down the book and the inscription reads in perfect script
Aug 8 1995
Dearest Joan
You still haunt my dreams
Yours forever
Thomas H. O'Connor

This staid old New England professor, and my friend's elegant Mom!
I felt I'd violated a privacy but eventually took my friend aside and said it to her.
She collapsed laughing and ran to her Mom. Who also started laughing.
I haven't a clue what's going on.
Turns out that my friend's sister-in-law, when she finds a signed book, she secrets it away and practices the handwriting, finds the right coloured pen and fakes a 'scandalous' inscription above the signature. And I'd found one. I don't think she'd even met the guy.
This old lady laughing her ass off, pointing at at me saying "Oh, she got you good! Hahaha!"

Fucking old people, man.

Stayed up in my friend's Mom's house in NH this weekend. Lovely lady in her 70s. Health not always great, but fabulous company. A little bit Audrey Hepburn, a little bit Dorothy Parker. Well-read, kind and opinionated.
Anyway, she has a huge library, stuffed with books. The type of place you'd want to take a decade off and dive into.
So I recognise this book by this author, he's a famous professor that taught my friend in Boston College. So i pull down the book and the inscription reads in perfect script
Aug 8 1995
Dearest Joan
You still haunt my dreams
Yours forever
Thomas H. O'Connor

This staid old New England professor, and my friend's elegant Mom!
I felt I'd violated a privacy but eventually took my friend aside and said it to her.
She collapsed laughing and ran to her Mom. Who also started laughing.
I haven't a clue what's going on.
Turns out that my friend's sister-in-law, when she finds a signed book, she secrets it away and practices the handwriting, finds the right coloured pen and fakes a 'scandalous' inscription above the signature. And I'd found one. I don't think she'd even met the guy.
This old lady laughing her ass off, pointing at at me saying "Oh, she got you good! Hahaha!"

Fucking old people, man.

I just read the first, second and last sentences.

The receptionist/security guard in my building is a lovely lady from Pakistan. She's as positive and sweet and polite and kind as its possible to be. Despite this, we get on really well.

Anyway, she was showing me a photo of the sunrise she took this morning on her phone. I told her about Broadsheet and that I was sure they'd publish it. She was reluctant so I said I was gonna stand there until she installed the app and emailed them the photo.

Sure enough they did, although they put it back in the 9:35am post for Sure Where Would You Get It?, but anyway, she's absolutely thrilled with the whole thing. It's only a small thing but it's made her day, which is very pleasing altogether.
(Plus she's HOT, even with her big baggy security jumper and trousers on)

liffey.jpg

Broadsheet-standard anyway. I get the feeling that women in Pakistan don't really get much encouragement to do anything besides cook and raise kids.
Christ, she was bowled over that I went to the trouble of learning her double-barrel surname.

Broadsheet-standard anyway. I get the feeling that women in Pakistan don't really get much encouragement to do anything besides cook and raise kids.
Christ, she was bowled over that I went to the trouble of learning her double-barrel surname.

In the West we know how to treat hot women.

Perhaps it's time you introduced her to those musicians fingers of yours!

Perhaps it's time you introduced her to those musicians fingers of yours!

Well here's the thing. Her husband is dead. A good few years, I'm told. She's 43 but looks 33. She's the most naturally beautiful woman out of 300 staff, in my opinion.
But Pakistan probably has some rule about women not being allowed to dishonour their dead husband's memory. Or maybe she just wouldn't want to be with anyone else.

(Her 18 year old daughter was in today and I missed her. Raging.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back