Jaysus cycling! (5 Viewers)

That would not be the general view in neuroscience. The data is mixed but mainly because no one has really done a good study on it. The majority of the published data focuses on car-bike accidents which is only one aspect of bike safety. The only accidents I've had have been me and the road - the first time I wasn't wearing a helmet and nearly split my head open, the second time I was wearing a helmet and did protect me from head trauma. So my anecdotal evidence completely contradicts a neurosurgeon talking to a journalist.

That would not be the general view in neuroscience. The data is mixed but mainly because no one has really done a good study on it. The majority of the published data focuses on car-bike accidents which is only one aspect of bike safety. The only accidents I've had have been me and the road - the first time I wasn't wearing a helmet and nearly split my head open, the second time I was wearing a helmet and did protect me from head trauma. So my anecdotal evidence completely contradicts a neurosurgeon talking to a journalist.

Also, I never wear a helmet when I'm in town on a dublin bike but do when I'm out on my road bike. I'm more likely to fall at speed on the road bike and need more protection.

Ah, each to their own.
I've been commuting by bike for 30+ years. Have never needed one yet.
Also, they're ugly and cumbersome.
Just a personal choice.

warning: this is horrific, in classic safety ad style

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had to doge the cops in a small town in Australia once because I had no helmet. They can give you a fine over there for it. Kind of funny to think of it now they were waiting to turn at a junction and pulled up down the road. I made off through the park the other way as fast as I could.
aus.jpg
Was pulled up by Garda a month or so ago the last time on that road it was a Guard on a motor bike who ended up turning on his siren to pull me over all he did was give me a high vis. This time people had complained to guards on the phone because I had no lights. Some guy pulled over to offer me a lift I suggested to him to phone the guards if he didn't like it ! Was pulled over then by a gaurd in a tiny car she had a look in the boot for a high vis but couldn't find one. Its very annoying if some one thinks they can talk to you out of there car window on the road that really gets my goat.

Was pulled up by Garda a month or so ago the last time on that road it was a Guard on a motor bike who ended up turning on his siren to pull me over all he did was give me a high vis. This time people had complained to guards on the phone because I had no lights. Some guy pulled over to offer me a lift I suggested to him to phone the guards if he didn't like it ! Was pulled over then by a gaurd in a tiny car she had a look in the boot for a high vis but couldn't find one. Its very annoying if some one thinks they can talk to you out of there car window on the road that really gets my goat.

I don't understand this. You had no lights? Why did the garda not take more action than to offer you a high-vis?

Also, the person offering you the lift, that is highly unusual but fair play to them. That was a nice gesture.

Also, why had you no lights?

If only you were wearing a helmet....

By that reasoning, I should be wearing elbow and knee pads too. And a gum shield. And shoulder protectors.
I've fucked all those up over the years.
Chipped elbows, gashed knees, fucked up teeth, plate in my shoulder.
I always thought helmets were for brain injuries and the like.

Do you wear one?

I have no lights either.

Is there a study where they show that drivers are more likely to drive closer to you if you have lights on your bike? Seriously though, the amount of ninja cyclists that come out of nowhere when I'm driving is unbelievable. Especially in this leafy suburb on the edge of the city, some of the roads don't have much in the way of street lighting.

I don't understand this. You had no lights? Why did the garda not take more action than to offer you a high-vis?

Also, the person offering you the lift, that is highly unusual but fair play to them. That was a nice gesture.

Also, why had you no lights?

Yeah I have to get lights usually I at least have a high vis but I ended up cycling later than I thought I would that road is not great for bikes since it was rebuilt. Well I was not far from home when I met the Guard it is possible even to go on to a very quite part of the old road at that point I think she just wanted to make sure I got home alright. I had actually walked then since I met the guy who offered me a lift but I would prefer if he didn't try to converse with me while we are on the road.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back