Spotify...its grand and all (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 442
  • Views 30K
  • Watchers 12
I would assume Spotify's aim is to make ridiculous money but hopefully if that happens the artists will get a fairer cut. If enough artists/labels club together I'm sure they'll be able to negotiate a better deal.

I fail to see the logic that Spotify et al are bad because they pay peanuts but torrents are okay because .... because .... someone help me here?

its more that spotify and the like are, in effect, no better than torrents for the artists and if what damon K is saying is true they have no real interest in ever being better for the artists, its just a way for the owners to make a quick buck and yet its all legal. At least there's less pretence with torrents and there is evidence (how reliable it is I don't know) that people who torrent a lot buy a lot too. I download loads of stuff and never pay but i do buy pretty much as much as i can afford.

I would assume Spotify's aim is to make ridiculous money but hopefully if that happens the artists will get a fairer cut. If enough artists/labels club together I'm sure they'll be able to negotiate a better deal.

I think the labels bolloxed the whole thing up in the first place. I'd like to share your optimism but generally speaking ridiculous money has the power to dictate the terms of any deal and doesn't act in an altruistic manner. Best case scenario is probably that the labels negotiate a better deal but continue to screw the artists.

Shaney - I take your point. Maybe I just prefer to hand over a tenner a month for the convenience of one of these services and to feel smug about not "stealing music", whereas in reality the amount of money the artists are getting is such a pittance I may as well just torrent it. I tend to use it like radio .... i.e. for sampling stuff ..... listen to whatever I want and then buy physical copies of the things I really like (though I'd be a liar if I said I bought as much as I would if I didn't have access to something like that).

Torrents-everybody shares..nobody gets charged and nobody gets paid

Spotify-they share,everybody gets charged in one way or another and nobody gets paid,except Spotify.

The difference for me is purely a moral one.

Individuals torrenting tunes is a far lesser evil in my eyes than private enterprise exploiting musicians for gain.

Having said all that..I'll listen to music anyway I can get it.Its all hypebole when yer dancing round the kitchen in yer cax to the latest internet jamz.

howmuchdoartistsearn.jpg

What are thumped band getting off Spotify? I see the Corpo and Large Mound have been part of their library with a good while. Enough for a snack bar? Or is payout only done once you've reached a threshold?

He kinda misses the most important point he almost keeps making. That the labels are getting a huge cut of revenue from spotify, but not passing it on.

Yet rather than point out bands should be negotiating and bemoaning their lousy royalty deals with their own labels, he's laying the blame at the labels feet.

All the naysayers also miss the point that, yes, while the short term return on a stream is nominal, there is also a permanent long term return.

If I buy a David Byrne CD in HMV or wherever, he gets maybe 2 euro or something, and that's it. I never give him cash again, regardless of how often I listen to the CD.

If I keep listening to the Spotify stream over the years, I'm effectively always paying him and the revenue will eventually far surpass the shitty 2 quid he would have made off the CD I bought

All the naysayers also miss the point that, yes, while the short term return on a stream is nominal, there is also a permanent long term return.

If I buy a David Byrne CD in HMV or wherever, he gets maybe 2 euro or something, and that's it. I never give him cash again, regardless of how often I listen to the CD.

If I keep listening to the Spotify stream over the years, I'm effectively always paying him and the revenue will eventually far surpass the shitty 2 quid he would have made off the CD I bought

Yeah i've been wondering about this. There's been a similar move in app development away from the instant payment to subscription when app developers realized they'd reached critical mass.

Also can you leave your computer playing your music all day and very slowly get a bit of revenue for yourself? and what if all your tracks are 10 seconds long? I assume they have a system to sort out payment for long and short tracks?

Anyway i dont use spotify myself i do stream alot of music these days i like the bandcamp alot its very handy i mean you could walk into an internet cafe anywhere in the world and walk out with a bunch of music you like so.. Online is definitely the fasted and cheepest way to get music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back