C. Agnew Guitars (1 Viewer)

he'd a bright green one like that on there about a fortnight back i was looking at. One thing that stands out to me on that is the drilling of the d/g holes on the back. a bit close, or is it just my eyes? those bridges don't intonate do they?

Of course the bridges intonate otherwise there'd be no screw through the saddles to set the intonation, you have to intonate two strings at a time so the B and G strings can be a little out unless you replace the saddles with compensated saddles. The D and G holes shouldn't make much difference as the saddles will set the string spacing.

I'm curious as to whether he makes the necks himself or just buys them in and adds them to the 100% Irish handmade body.

Just once I'd like to see a guitar manufacturer who had the balls to go and design a body which wasn't just a copy of what's already out there. I mean it doesn't have to have horns or anything but for fuck sake if you're going to go and put that much effort into building and crafting a guitar it would be nice if they'd take a risk and make something a bit more visually unique and distinctive. Just sayin.

Of course the bridges intonate otherwise there'd be no screw through the saddles to set the intonation, you have to intonate two strings at a time so the B and G strings can be a little out unless you replace the saddles with compensated saddles. The D and G holes shouldn't make much difference as the saddles will set the string spacing.

I'm curious as to whether he makes the necks himself or just buys them in and adds them to the 100% Irish handmade body.

i wouldn't call that intonating to be fair.

i was wondering that about the neck too. considering the drilling, it might be better if they are factory necks.

This lad operates out of Drumcondra..I was only nosing around the net last week and saw him.He imports cheapo guitars you've never heard of too.

Thats not to say they're no use.I havent tried them so I would'nt know.

i wouldn't call that intonating to be fair.

i was wondering that about the neck too. considering the drilling, it might be better if they are factory necks.

So what would you call intonating?

So what would you call intonating?

being able to set the intonation! from what you are saying you can set the intonation correctly on three strings at any given time. thats not setting the intonation is it? its adjusting it, surely, but intonation is pretty cut and dried unless i'm missing something.

Just once I'd like to see a guitar manufacturer who had the balls to go and design a body which wasn't just a copy of what's already out there. I mean it doesn't have to have horns or anything but for fuck sake if you're going to go and put that much effort into building and crafting a guitar it would be nice if they'd take a risk and make something a bit more visually unique and distinctive. Just sayin.
Plenty do,they just usually don't look great( lack of familiarity?) or they look like shit metal guitars.

Just once I'd like to see a guitar manufacturer who had the balls to go and design a body which wasn't just a copy of what's already out there..

A big reason for the lack of variety is that you can buy router patterns for very little money for all the standard shapes. basically after that its like 'cut along the dotted line' type work rather than 'crafting'. designing something, setting out router patterns and building it is a considerable amount of hours to invest, from a carpentry point of view i can see why people start out with a few standard issues to even get used to router work. 3d printing will probably stop all this though. i'm not sure if his shapes are actually his own, but tonfuchs guitars has been my favourite small electric builder for a while now.

img_1783-edit.jpg

That's nothing like it.

I few months ago i was doing dome research on building your own guitar and found an autocad file for the specs of a telecaster. You could then just pop a slab of wood into one of those cutting machines and it would do all the work for you. But like Moose said i'd wonder did he do the the neck himself as that would be a whole different kettle of fish.

Still nice looking yoke all the same. Would love to here it against a telecaster of the same €€€

being able to set the intonation! from what you are saying you can set the intonation correctly on three strings at any given time. thats not setting the intonation is it? its adjusting it, surely, but intonation is pretty cut and dried unless i'm missing something.

Intonation on a fretted instruments is not cut and dry so seems you are missing something alright.

Intonation on a fretted instruments is not cut and dry so seems you are missing something alright.

ah your just nitpicking the point. basically on that bridge its impossible to set up all strings. i didn't mention the neck in regard to intonation. its pretty cut and dried in terms of in a yes or no question can that bridge intonate six strings, and the answer is no.

You can intonate within a tolerance, whether that tolerance is acceptable is up to you same as with any other fretted instrument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back