Faroes - Ireland (1 Viewer)

What's the Italian for "redemption?"

Dan McDonnell from the indo going big on Trap to be sacked in the days following this game in the paper/on twitter.

Riscatto, but I'd say we're more likely to hear the term indennizzo, or compensation, over the next while.

My choice for Ireland's next manager would be one Josep Guardiola i Sala esquire. He's currently unemployed so what's the harm in asking? But getting back to reality I'm sure Owen Coyle, Royston Keane and Mick Mc will be the three most likely candidates.

I'd have Mick back of the three, I think it's much of a muchness between him and Coyle in terms of management but I like Mick better. Keane has a worse managerial record and is a bigger prick than either of them.

My heart would sink if he got the job but 'Arry, aside from having a somewhat nebulous sounding title at Bournouth isn't doing much these days.

I'd have Mick back of the three, I think it's much of a muchness between him and Coyle in terms of management but I like Mick better. Keane has a worse managerial record and is a bigger prick than either of them.

My heart would sink if he got the job but 'Arry, aside from having a somewhat nebulous sounding title at Bournouth isn't doing much these days.

Redknapp!? No thanks. Is his name being mentioned by the press as a possible candidate?

Redknapp!? No thanks. Is his name being mentioned by the press as a possible candidate?

Just on some back and forth on twitter between hacks.

The Trap thing is petering out in an unfortunate way but I did like the ambition shown when the FAI hired him where they didn't just consider Irish affiliated mangers for the gig. They should take a punt on Hervé Renard and his lovely white shirts, if he's willing to do this ...

809535-13823612-640-360.jpg

he might be the perfect man to mollycoddle Stephen Ireland back into availability and form.

Keane can fuck off. Really, fuck off. Trap can't communicate with the players because his English is shite and their English isn't great, but Keano can't communicate with anyone, because he's a cunt.

Somebody on another site suggested Steve Coppell.. I think he may have quit management, but if he was interested he'd be a good fit - did really well on a low budget with Reading, likes decent progressive football, knows several of the players already, would speak English and go to matches and thus make the journos happy. Between Coyle and McCarthy, if either are interested, it's much of a muchness. If I were Mick I wouldn't take it again though, as soon as anything went wrong for him you'd get all the 2002 shit being raked over again. I don't think the FAI are going to press the nuclear button unless the March fixtures go badly though.

Just on some back and forth on twitter between hacks.

The Trap thing is petering out in an unfortunate way but I did like the ambition shown when the FAI hired him where they didn't just consider Irish affiliated mangers for the gig. They should take a punt on Hervé Renard and his lovely white shirts, if he's willing to do this he might be the perfect man to mollycoddle Stephen Ireland back into availability and form.

I couldn't agree more, but my bet would be that the next Ireland manager will be a mother-tongue English speaker to keep the little Irelanders in the press pack happy. Trap's English is incomprehensible at times, but so is his Italian. There was a slot on a famous Italian comedy show which used to regularly feature his mangling of his native language, so I wouldn't rule out another non-Anglophone manager either. I just can't see it happening though.

The two main issues with Trap for me, and they've been there right from the start, are his dismissive attitude towards Irish football in general and his unwillingness to travel regularly to watch players in England. It's clear that he thinks our players and footballing culture are shite. He's entitled to his opinion, but it can't be too healthy for the morale of a team when the manager reiterates that he doesn't have any decent players. The fact that he doesn't attend games in England on a regular basis is a total joke considered how much money he makes.

Somebody on another site suggested Steve Coppell.. I think he may have quit management, but if he was interested he'd be a good fit - did really well on a low budget with Reading, likes decent progressive football, knows several of the players already, would speak English and go to matches and thus make the journos happy.

I'd be pleased enough with him, the wiki says that up to a year ago he expressed interest in the Iceland job as he'd coached some of their players in the past.

Haven't there been rumours that he have a history of problems with depression/being unable to cope with stress, perhaps the slower pace of international football would suit him.

Does Tardelli not do travel to English games for him?

Tardelli lives in Italy too from what I know, so I'm not sure how many games he attends in England - although he was a fairly regular visitor to an Italian restaurant in Chelsea where a friend of mine worked a few years back. According to press reports it's mainly Mick Martin and Frank Stapleton that go to games and then report back to Trap.

Tardelli lives in Italy too from what I know, so I'm not sure how many games he attends in England - although he was a fairly regular visitor to an Italian restaurant in Chelsea where a friend of mine worked a few years back. According to press reports it's mainly Mick Martin and Frank Stapleton that go to games and then report back to Trap.

Fair enough. It is clearly not the way he should be doing things.

How much improvement is there to be had by going to games though? And having a manager with English?

While I think it's clear that trap has to go, having lost everyone's confidence, I think the real problem is the lack of experienced playing talent.
A squad made up mostly of Championship players and Premiership also rans is not going to get us much, no matter who is in charge.

Fair enough. It is clearly not the way he should be doing things.

How much improvement is there to be had by going to games though? And having a manager with English?

While I think it's clear that trap has to go, having lost everyone's confidence, I think the real problem is the lack of experienced playing talent.
A squad made up mostly of Championship players and Premiership also rans is not going to get us much, no matter who is in charge.

I'm not saying the next manager should be a mother-tongue English speaker. They should be a good manager first and foremost. But I think the knee-jerk reaction will be to employ someone who can have banter with the players and be articulate when dealing with the press. It'll undoubtedly be an ex-Irish international or former Premier League manager.

I'd argue that going to as many games as possible is fundamental for any international manager. They've limited time with the players and few international games to watch them in action, so watching Championship and Premier League games is the next best option.

In Trap's case it seems fairly clear that he settled on a first XI a few years back and as long as they were fit they started every game no matter how they were doing at club level.

I'm not calling for any Irish player who's had one good game to be parachuted straight into the first team, but it has been frustrating that a number of players doing well at Premier League level have struggled to make the squad even for meaningless friendlies.

It's clear that Ireland doesn't have a huge pool of talented players, but I'd argue that the current international squad lacks experience precisely because of Trap's unwillingness to integrate new players, especially in friendly matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back