What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (13 Viewers)

I love Destiny's Child, don't you imply otherwise.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

draft_lens11477191module105476941photo_12761747251000_autumns_uk.jpg

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell

This was a bit disappointing, I had high hopes. Its not a bad book, quite entertaining, but nothing special, a bit of a posh thriller.

This was a bit disappointing, I had high hopes. Its not a bad book, quite entertaining, but nothing special, a bit of a posh thriller.

Just picked this up over the weekend. Gonna get stuck into it just as soon as I finish Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom" ... which is great.

Is he trying too hard, do you think? I loved Ghostwritten and Number 9 Dream, but found elements of Cloud Atlas mildly frustrating. I fully intend reading this, but keep putting it off. It was said here before, but difficult does not necessairly mean better. Is this one of his difficult ones? That said, I like the idea of a "posh thriller"!

QUOTE=Shaney;1371670]
draft_lens11477191module105476941photo_12761747251000_autumns_uk.jpg

This was a bit disappointing, I had high hopes. Its not a bad book, quite entertaining, but nothing special, a bit of a posh thriller.[/QUOTE]

I love her so.

I attended bridge classes a few doors down from her birthplace. Don't know a thing about her i must admit.

Is he trying too hard, do you think? I loved Ghostwritten and Number 9 Dream, but found elements of Cloud Atlas mildly frustrating. I fully intend reading this, but keep putting it off. It was said here before, but difficult does not necessairly mean better. Is this one of his difficult ones? That said, I like the idea of a "posh thriller"!

I dont know about trying too hard. This one and Black Swan Green are fairly straight forward stories. As i say, theres nothing much wrong with it (apart from one twist in the plot which I didnt like) it just didnt have that je ne sais quoi of a really great book and i had hoped it would.

I have since read a short travel account by Keith Roberts (who wrote Pavane) of a week he spent in Ireland in 1978. It was alright. Now I'm on C by Tom McCarthy.

51NbGaD6qWL.jpg

n349929.jpg

Just got this today and only about 20 pages in, Phillip Roth's Nemesis. It's another novella, his fourth in a row, here's hoping it's more like Indignation and less like The Humbling, which was a pile of shite. It's set during a Polio epidemic in New Jersey in 1944.

Of the ones I've read most have been excellent and I've read quite a few, but when he's bad he is farshtunken.

Goodbye, Columbus Good
Letting Go
When She Was Good
Portnoy's Complaint Good
Our Gang
The Breast
The Great American Novel
My Life As a Man
The Ghost Writer
Zuckerman Unbound Good
The Anatomy Lesson
The Prague Orgy
The Counterlife OK, not great
Deception shit
Operation Shylock shit
Sabbath's Theater good
American Pastoral Amazing
I Married a Communist Amazing
The Human Stain
Amazing
The Dying Animal v. good
The Plot Against America good
Everyman good
Exit Ghost shit
Indignation very good
The Humbling awful
Nemesis
Hope it turns out good. :)

oh sure why not. heres my list

Portnoy's Complaint - ok
American Pastoral - bad
I Married a Communist - bad
The Human Stain - bad
The Plot Against America - excellent
Everyman - really awful
Indignation - excellent

maybe he's just not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back