(Ask nlgbbbblth) - My Weekly Bank Related Question (1 Viewer)

I was lodging a cheque in the bank today. The place was quiet, and the old woman who entered the front door ahead of me entered the rope obstacle course ahead of me. There was no one else there except for the couple of people that the tellers were dealing with at that moment. Just a couple of feet inside rope maze was the little table with the lodgement slips, she stops up and starts to fill up her slip.

I walk around her and make my way through the maze to the teller.

"Excuse me" says she looking up from her paperwork, "I'm in the queue".
"Yes you are!"

At which point she starts into a whole fucking spiel about how rude I am and I have no concept of a queue and blah blah blah...

So:

Silly bitch should get a Banklink card like the rest of the world?
Nailer is a terrible rude monster?
All of the above?

I was lodging a cheque in the bank today. The place was quiet, and the old woman who entered the front door ahead of me entered the rope obstacle course ahead of me. There was no one else there except for the couple of people that the tellers were dealing with at that moment. Just a couple of feet inside rope maze was the little table with the lodgement slips, she stops up and starts to fill up her slip.

I walk around her and make my way through the maze to the teller.

"Excuse me" says she looking up from her paperwork, "I'm in the queue".
"Yes you are!"

At which point she starts into a whole fucking spiel about how rude I am and I have no concept of a queue and blah blah blah...

So:

Silly bitch should get a Banklink card like the rest of the world?
Nailer is a terrible rude monster?
All of the above?

Option A. Silly old BAT.

I haven't taken cash out on my BOI visa since feb. It has been at it's limit pretty consistently. I have been making all my payments and have spent probably e3000 on purchases (always putting the money in first), but i'm still paying about the same in cash interest. Should it not be going down as more of my use is purchase based, and shouldn't the purchase interest be, in turn, going up? It seems to be e15 one month, e30 the next, e24 the month after and so on, always with around the same balance. Am i missing something here?

having trouble getting paid.
Girlfriend did a bit of work for a college back in last april.
By the time she got her tax clearance cert, an invoice sent and another cheque reissued (wrong name on the first one) it was september.

Money goes in in sept details are "Card in Branch 90xxxxx"
Then it comes out again 6 days later "ADJ Deplicated"

There's a transaction back in May with the same "Card in Branch 90xxxxx" numbers the exact same but then the amounts are different.

Any idea what might be going on? The May payment is there from before the invoice was sent out.

Are all the 90xxxxx numbers indivdual transaction codes? How does "Card in Branch" relate to cheques being lodged?

I haven't taken cash out on my BOI visa since feb. It has been at it's limit pretty consistently. I have been making all my payments and have spent probably e3000 on purchases (always putting the money in first), but i'm still paying about the same in cash interest. Should it not be going down as more of my use is purchase based, and shouldn't the purchase interest be, in turn, going up? It seems to be e15 one month, e30 the next, e24 the month after and so on, always with around the same balance. Am i missing something here?

if balance is the same at each statement date then the interest charged should be similiar each time.

you need to find out how they charge interest. Always thought it was on the balance at statement date with just cash advances getting hit as soon as they're processed.

So bank of ireland told me they won't give me a loan because i'm not living and working in ireland. If i get someone to go guarantor for me, would i be able to get one? Or are there no other options?

I'd say "deplicated" means duplicated.

ADJ means adjustment

is it 90xxxx or 90xxxxx?

Sort codes have six digits. BOI's begin with 90. Each branch has its own sort code.

how were the funds lodged?

Shit, thought I replied to this weeks ago.

Anyway, that was it alright, 6 digit sort code.
Cheers for the help.

possibly a guarantor.

does your salary go into your Irish bank account?

if not, it will be difficult. Have you an account where you are based.

have an account here but visa runs out in feb so no loanavailable here. Working various jobs here, all goes into australian account. Um, on the upside, the loans officer in my branch is an old family friend, would she be able to pull a swift one or is it all heavily regulated now what with yon 80s revival?

My interest on my MBNA credit card for e4400 has gone from e48 in november to e68 in december to e86 this month. The amount outstanding has been the same the whole time. Surely they can't just up their rates like that, or has some sort of mistake occurred?

That doesn't sound right. The amounts will vary each month because of the number of days each period [28 - 31 depending on the calendar] but not to the extent you describe. Have you the statements - the interest rate is quoted at the bottom.

Although - how is the amount outstanding staying the same? Presume you are making payments? If not, there be a late fee thrown in there but that should be shown separately to interest.
Right, definitely something wrong now. My balance for october was e4447, my interest was e78 and my repayment was e85.75 - put in a load of money there a few weeks ago, balance for november was e3562, interest was e70 and repayment is e90. Rates haven't changed. Any ideas? Can't bloody ring them for another week either.

what date do the statements issue and when was the big lodgment made? The date of issue determines the "charging period"* - so if you lodge towards the end of the charging period you won't feel the benefit until the following month.

* if statement issued on say 14th monthly then interest is calculated on a daily basis on the balance from the 15th of the previous month.

That's a good point actually. Statement was issued on the 19th, payment was made on the 13th, so that's that explained. Still don't understand why my repayment amount has gone up though.

Rang mbna. Think i'm being screwed. First the lady on the phone said i might be eligible for a review of my interest, then tried to convince me it was because i'd had purchases on my card this month (there were none last month), and so there were transaction charges, then i said "but is my repayment not a percentage of my outstanding balance", then she went back to the transactions thing, then i said "that makes no sense to me", then she put me on hold for about 15 minutes and came back and said "you went overlimit by e1.66 so were charged e12.70 for the overlimit charge, so we'll refund that overlimit charge and that'll bring your repayment down". I accepted that but looking back over my account, my repayments vary from 1.7% to 2%, and the interest, taking into account statement dates, jumps around fairly wildly too. Is this something i can chase up and if so, how? Does getting your interest reviewed mean they go back over a certain period and check to see how much you've been charged, and if so, is it something they'll willingly do?

A "review of interest" sounds like they're referring to reducing the interest rate on the card. Sometimes done when the threat of losing business looms.

If you want a formal interest check then you could write to them complaining that you cannot reconcile your figures with theirs and ask them to do a manual re-check. It's something that's usually done with overdraft interest rather than credit cards though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back