1st day at primary school (3 Viewers)

I was actually beaten on my first day for drawing a round house. Apparently houses are square. I tried to explain that houses could be round and that I had a round house, (my mushroom house money box).
But being only 4 I think I didn't quite explain that is was a toy house not my home that was round.
Any ho, the teacher whacked my hands several times with the wooden ruler, because no one has a round house.

Needless to say i wasn't so fond of going to school after that.
i got smacked across the back of the head in junior infants for forgetting to switch from crayon to pencil after drawing the picture for My News.
the same teacher who made fun of me for being a lazy sissy in front of the class when i came back after being away in hospital for a while. heinous bitch. i was crying outside the school because i was scared to go back to her class and she had everyone lined up at the window upstairs watching me.
i hope you're howling in hell, mrs o'shea.

In my work I come across similar problems to solve over and over again. I don't really get any quicker at solving them, because I tend to come up with a new solution each time - gets boring otherwise. Drives my "superiors" mad. Creativity isn't always good for the bottom line

this thread got me thinking about synectics yesterday evening. i was mad into reading about it for a few months.

abridged version of wiki entry said:
The process was derived from tape-recording (initially audio, later video) of thousands of meetings, analysis of the results and experiments with alternative ways of dealing with the obstacles to success in the meeting. "Success" was defined as getting a creative solution that the group was committed to implement.
Prince emphasized the importance of Creative Behaviour in reducing inhibitions and releasing the inherent creativity of everyone. He and his colleagues developed specific practices and meeting structures which help people to ensure that their constructive intentions are experienced positively by one another.
Gordon emphasised the importance of "metaphorical process" to make the familiar strange and the strange familiar". He expressed his central principle as: "Trust things that are alien, and alienate things that are trusted." This encourages, on the one hand, fundamental problem-analysis and, on the other hand, the alienation of the original problem through the creation of analogies. It is thus possible for new and surprising solutions to emerge.
As an invention tool, Synectics invented a technique called "springboarding" for getting creative beginning ideas. For the development of beginning ideas, the method incorporates brainstorming and deepens and widens it with metaphor; it also adds an important evaluation process for Idea Development, which takes embryonic new ideas that are attractive but not yet feasible and builds them into new courses of action which have the commitment of the people who will implement them
Synectics is more demanding of the subject than brainstorming, as the steps involved mean that the process is more complicated and requires more time and effort. It is also much more rewarding because the end product is action not just ideas.

In my work I come across similar problems to solve over and over again. I don't really get any quicker at solving them, because I tend to come up with a new solution each time - gets boring otherwise. Drives my "superiors" mad. Creativity isn't always good for the bottom line

In fairness Egg_ if you were paying a plumber by the hour and he said to you "I could fix this in ten mins but I'd rather think of a new way of fixing it" you'd hardly be applauding his creativity as you wrote out the higher cheque for his services.

Éala went to school yesterday

she seemed to like it, likes her teacher... don't think the Industry Funded Educational Conspiracy To Crush Creativity got to her yet. She didn't seem to have been programmed into an obdient drone ready for the factory floor, not that I could see... but there's always tomorrow...

I had stuff to say about this video in relation to this thread, but I think it speaks for itself.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

sorry, probably should point out that i am yet to watch that video with sound but I saw them doing the thriller dance at one point

i think the curriculum should reflect the world, so for a 90% binmen, 10 % ballerina society, the curriculum shouldn't have more than 10% creative content, for secondary school anyway. but probably more creative shit (30%) in primary schools to keep kids from getting extremely bored and disallusioned with the whole education thing.

i dunno dude, i know its only conversation point but it seems loads of folk are overlooking what creativity actually is in relation to knowledge. like someone mentioned earlier in the thread that you can hand a kid a paintbrush and they'll probably do something creative, but you cant overlook the need to add creativity across the board. maybe i'm not using the right word at all.

think about it like this, theres two ways to teach someone how to solve some gay maths problem. A) make them do it repetitively until they have no choice but to follow a pattern when confronted with such a problem B) or give them the necessity to find a solution, so they understand the why of the solution. option B sounds like how egg there seems to work, the way of industry seems to suggest that option A is the most profitable, however, if you train your workforce by rote (option a) and the market changes overnight, then you have to retrain them by rote. if your workforce has been educated by the necessity to find a solution then retraining and adapting is going to be much easier. i think. i can see more advantage for the latter, not in a practical sense, in a humane sense.

can't see much creativity in maths to be honest, maybe coming up with new theorems in college or something. but primary maths just teaches you fundamental things that can only be done one way really, then in secondary school, as far as i remember, one way to do most topics. i think people can mix up understanding with creativity. no need to create new shit in school level maths.

nah, i'm definitely not using the right word.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that in your previous post, option B is by far the best one.....depending on the problem solving skills you're teaching.

And anyway, school is far more about being parents to children these days and taking responsibility for all the fuck ups in society, than actually teaching them anything useful like how to read or write. :rolleyes:

can't see much creativity in maths to be honest, maybe coming up with new theorems in college or something. but primary maths just teaches you fundamental things that can only be done one way really, then in secondary school, as far as i remember, one way to do most topics. i think people can mix up understanding with creativity. no need to create new shit in school level maths.

It isn't just about teaching creativity but teaching in a creative way.

There are plenty of programmes and case studies and organisations working in this area

http://www.ignitefutures.org.uk/

http://www.futurelab.org.uk/

can't see much creativity in maths to be honest

i've always been terrible at maths, and i always will be. but that doesn't stop me seeing the creativity and beauty of it.

things like the poincaré conjecture, or the hilbert problems, or any number of other contributions to maths, seem like some of the most beautiful, elegant, insightful thought in human history.

this is possibly because i'm now safely out of school and away from the threat of actually having it force-fed to me.

i appreciate that this is all beside the point, and somewhat different to learning your nine-times tables and the like, but it bears saying nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back