Catholic Church and Child abuse scandal (1 Viewer)

My concern with the "everyone has a lot to answer for" line, as understandable as it is, is that the Church will get away scot free again because they're just one part of "the whole country", and how do you punish "the whole country"?

My concern with the "everyone has a lot to answer for" line, as understandable as it is, is that the Church will get away scot free again because they're just one part of "the whole country", and how do you punish "the whole country"?
We all stand in a bold corner for 3 minutes?

there is more to this than just the church.
Way more.

We had about a zillion institutions in which un-vetted, unaccountable individuals were put in the sole care of big groups of vulnerable people, including children. Of course these jobs attracted paedophiles and bullies. Everyone knew that these places were unpleasant to be in, but The People of Ireland genuinely thought that the moral health of the nation was more important than the well-being of its citizens

Lots of abusers have already been jailed. Coverer-uppers probably are looking at legal sanction too at some stage if things keep going the way they are. What else can be done?

Lots of abusers have already been jailed. Coverer-uppers probably are looking at legal sanction too at some stage if things keep going the way they are. What else can be done?

Well, I don't mean jailing abusers.
I mean long-term steps to remove religious orders from official life, like implementing a proper state education system, etc.

I mean long-term steps to remove religious orders from official life, like implementing a proper state education system, etc.

Even with the anger most of the nation seems to be feeling right now I'm not sure that a referendum on getting the "special relationship" with the Catholic Church removed from the constitution would pass.

Even with the anger most of the nation seems to be feeling right now I'm not sure that a referendum on getting the "special relationship" with the Catholic Church removed from the constitution would pass.

I think it might pass (after a horrible campaign), but I don't think this or any potential government would hold such a referendum.

Dude, that's been gone since 1973.

I'd vote for you if you ran on this ticket.

The religious are almost gone from teaching one way or the other. There's 1 nun (the headnun) left in my mother's St. John of God primary school now and when she retires there's no one to replace her. No priests left anymore in my old secondary school AFAIK, and the seminary is closed

I wonder what's going to happen when the orders die out. I'm sure the last Irish Christian Brother, for instance, will die in our lifetimes - are they going to bequeath their property to the State, would you think?

I wonder what's going to happen when the orders die out. I'm sure the last Irish Christian Brother, for instance, will die in our lifetimes - are they going to bequeath their property to the State, would you think?

in skerries there were two schools, De La Salle brothers for boys and Holy Faith Sisters for girls, in the late 80's the joined up and built The Holy Faith/De La Salle school, mid 90's all the De La Salle bros were gone, early 00's the last nuns quit and the school was handed over as a community college, don't know if any money passed over, the word "transfer: was used a lot, and I believe is run by a trust or something... seems like that way forward

FYI a nun once put her hand down my trousers, under the guise of 'tucking my shirt in'

also seems to get away with acting like a complete fucking animal in this country is to be a priest or a bank manager. what is it that these people have over the state that allows them to act completely, unrentantly and repeatidly outside the law

I urge anyone taking the time to post here to write to TD's or the Dept of Justice or someone about this, if you can take 30 seconds t rant on a msg board you can take 3 mins to send an e-mail. It does make a difference

also seems to get away with acting like a complete fucking animal in this country is to be a priest or a bank manager. what is it that these people have over the state that allows them to act completely, unrentantly and repeatidly outside the law

I urge anyone taking the time to post here to write to TD's or the Dept of Justice or someone about this, if you can take 30 seconds t rant on a msg board you can take 3 mins to send an e-mail. It does make a difference

You're right but they take more notice of letters to be honest, haven't fully entered the digital age.

theres still a surprising amount of monks in this country.

Join the CBs now, wait til the rest of 'em die then sell off their holdings.

It makes my feel so sick, utterly sick i want to throw up. Every child abuser should be hung up in public, ball's the lot cut off, fingers and tounge cut off and eyes gouged out and left in a cell with no bed and just bread and a small bit of water sometimes. They also deserve a 17inch dildo shooved up there anal passage every single day to see ... Read morehow they like it. Mother Fuckers!!!! Its also excused as an illness. Illness my oxball, its total perversion to take away ones innocence for life and destroy a life.... Utter bastards. May they burn in the fires of hell................

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back