richard dawkins (1 Viewer)

well, the title the blind watchmaker is a direct response to the argument that the universe must have a creator, isn't it? hard to avoid in the context.

Moral codes existed before Christianity, and exist outside of religion. Can't remember who originally made the point, but society wasn't tolerating raping, murdering, cheating and theft without consequence even before Moses brought the 10 commandments down from the hill...

Also Dawkins himself made the point that helping and looking after others is innate in human beings because helping others originally meant helping our "pack", and increased the survival rate of the DNA of those that were more altruistic.

Yaas, but religion existed well before Moses then and was tied into people's morality then too. I totally agree that gene based altruism is very strong with us, similiar to other primates, but we homo sapiens do tend to tie it up with notions of the supernatural. Possibly because religious orders and their ilk are one of the few cabals in society to whom to luxury of reflection is afforded. I fink.

anyway, i do think dawkins comes across as not understanding why people do not understand his argument. i've heard someone claim that he comes across as mildly aspergent, in that he's not very empathetic.

but i enjoyed the god delusion. read as a polemic, it's fine.

As someone mentioned above it's the cult of Dawkins that are much worse then the man himself. If I met a Christian amongst my peer group and told him that I don't believe in God, I'm sure they'd let it lie and not start quoting scripture at me or take offence to it

However I know for a fact (as I've witnessed it) that if a person in my peer group told us that they were a practicing Catholic then the Dawkin acolytes would go bananas and start shoving their beliefs down the poor persons throat and belittling them at every opportunity.

Yaas, but religion existed well before Moses then and was tied into people's morality then too.

I don't doubt that. I chose Moses as an example because of the context of Dawkins Vs. Creationists being so tied into the christian bible. Morality (or ethics) definitely can, and does, exist outside of religion even though they have been very intertwined in the past, and even though many can't see the distinction between the two.

As someone mentioned above it's the cult of Dawkins that are much worse then the man himself. If I met a Christian amongst my peer group and told him that I don't believe in God, I'm sure they'd let it lie and not start quoting scripture at me or take offence to it

However I know for a fact (as I've witnessed it) that if a person in my peer group told us that they were a practicing Catholic then the Dawkin acolytes would go bananas and start shoving their beliefs down the poor persons throat and belittling them at every opportunity.

Well I've seen plenty of people quizzed over not having their child baptised but I've yet to see a parent grilled for inducting their baby into their religion.

If I met a Christian amongst my peer group and told him that I don't believe in God, I'm sure they'd let it lie and not start quoting scripture at me or take offence to it

you need a new peer group.
not talking about my peer group, but in general social situations, i've generally seen the opposite. i've been challenged about my atheism on several occasions, but i'd really only discuss atheism with fellow atheists. and that's the behaviour i'd generally see from others.

I'm not sure what you're saying. In the context of what? The title? Science? Evolutionary biology?
i meant in the sense that the book was in a lot of ways, a response that the universe has a creator. i.e. that was the point of the book; it wasn't a swipe at religious creation, it was a head-on tackle. mainly by arguing for a creator-less evolution, rather than arguing against a creatored evolution, if you follow me.

if i remember the book well enough, that is.

Hmmm, that's not a fair comparison.
Comparing Christian to Dawkins Acolyte is like comparing Atheist to Christian Missionary. One is more committed and forceful than the other, by definition, no?

There are loud and proud Catholics known to me who have no problem telling you where you're going wrong in your unbelief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back